Which engine oil??

Guest bryanandjudie

Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the best engine oil to use in my bike. A 1995 Yamaha XJ900 Diversion. I expect the recommended oil as per my manual has been surpassed over the years. I am not worried about cost..I just want the best oil for it. I use the bike in all weathers and as you all know it can get fairly cold here in the valleys.

Only use the type of oil suggested in the manual, usually 10W-40, any other will reduce the life of the engine and probably damage it.

Make sure it's motorbike oil as well as it has different addatives to car oil.

As said semi-synthetic is also best.

The brand is personal preforance but any major brand will do (unless you're on a really tight budget). Personally I prefer Shell's

Most bikes use a 10W40 mate , but they have different additives in. Find out which is recommended for your bike. Cars don't use wet clutches like bikes , so they use different additives. If you should use semi and you put fully synth in it, the clutch may slip. I use Halfords semi synth. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the best engine oil to use in my bike. A 1995 Yamaha XJ900 Diversion. I expect the recommended oil as per my manual has been surpassed over the years. I am not worried about cost..I just want the best oil for it. I use the bike in all weathers and as you all know it can get fairly cold here in the valleys.

More often, the modern technofunk actually screws up old bikes that simply aren't designed for it - better off buying by the manual.

And i suspect you've spotted an all-too-common thing, a car oil and bike oil that are actually identical. I'd read the containers and look out for any differences in the contents. If there are, especially anything about 'energy saving' (!) stay away.

Methinks that if you ensure you stick to the right grade (i.e. if it says 10W30 in the book, use that, not 10W40), then you'll be doing the bike better than most. Get semi-synthetic too. Better changing it more often than buying anything fancy imo.