fitting bigger tyres to Yamaha YBR 125?

ENGBen

I should be getting my bike back tomorrow and will be riding it for the first time since my off last november.

I am a little nervous about it, my biggest fear been slipping in the wet or on rounderbouts (despite the fact i fell off by been stupid enough to try and cross tram lines to change lanes).

The tyres on the 2010 YBR are pathetically thin and wimpy never mind the fact they are seen as crap in general.

I know i have the option of getting some michelin pilot sporty tyres which will fit but i think they are the same width as the tyres i have on it now... i want something a littler thicker.

Good old bullet thinks it is possible, i am just looking for a variety of opinions. :D

Anythings possible.... But normally there's a reason why the size is picked for the bike and the entire set up is made to work together (the r&d isn't done overnight that's for sure). An extra 10mm isn't going to change the world on a ybr and change it's characteristics by much, maybe considering another bike would be a better option if you're not happy with the package? Plus ANY modifications should be declared to your insurer (and then you are at their mercy). If you don't and you crash it your insurance could potentially be invalid.

Additional edit: reading thru it again sporty tyres are going to do not a lot for wet grip- sounds like a confidence barrier in adverse weather (I'm the same car or bike). Not much can help apart from experience and maybe some extra training IMO

Additional edit: reading thru it again sporty tyres are going to do not a lot for wet grip- sounds like a confidence barrier in adverse weather (I'm the same car or bike). Not much can help apart from experience and maybe some extra training IMO

I've experienced two Gilera's one fitted with Pirellis and the other continentals. Both sets had between 500 and 100 miles put on them. (well...taken off them) But as soon as the continentals were show a bit of the wet stuff or corners they gave up. Ended up slamming my foot down a couple of times to save the bike. (not going all hat fast either). Where as the Pirellis were a beauty through the corners, and i'm pretty sure it'd pull a stoppie in the rain, if it was asked to. The best thing Ben can do is swap his tyres for some higher grade ones at least, as the original tyres on those ybr's are death traps enough being the width they are, let alone the fact that they come (the majority) from the manufactures with some of the worst compounds ever installed on a bike tyre.

Sorry if I offended anyone, or peopel disagree with what I have to say, but compounds DO matter, and having an extra 10mm of tread will only increase surface grip, as there is a bigger footprint on the ground!

Bullet5. 8-)

thinner tyres are better in wet, slippy conditions.

hence my mates use C90's in winter.

Bridgestones are well known for good grip in wet conditions, but tyres are more a preference to riding style no matter what the bike

Doable, but no point at all. Will worsen handling etc, like said there is a reason they are that size. Get some sportys, they are well recommended (and far better, used them my self/ so has mate) will improve things over the originals no end.