'95 FZR 600R gear issue?

Guest Trebuchet

Hey guys, I'm new to riding and looking for some advice,

I picked up a 95 fzr 600r, it's done around 30k however having a big issue with the gears, and wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the issue could be without replacing the gearbox.

Its virtually impossible to get into first gear on it, if it does go in it will pop into neutral almost immediately, having to start it in 2nd gear which almost breaks your boot getting it in and then quickly getting into third so it doesn’t pop into neutral. However its also lacking a lot of power until its up into 4th/5th, the previous owner has given me dynojet results which only recorded 32bhp.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I knew this bike needed some love and attention but I get the feeling it's going to be a bigger job than was expected.

well the 32bhp might be because it has been restricted with washers in the inlet rubbers so you will need to pull carbs off and have a look but if its jumping out of 1st gear then that sounds like it could well be a fairly big issue and need looking into as it could be broken gear on 1st.im in peterborough on sunday afternoon if you want me to have a look at it i spent 10 years with the fzr1000 genesis

Ah that's very kind of you!

I'm afraid the mother's down visiting and the girlfriend's off on holiday though, it's currently in her bikeshed untill I've sorted it.

Harsh timings, thanks though.

Sorry to hear of your problems and without going into War and Peace about how the gearbox works it is basically something called the dog teeth(it basically selects the gears, as it is a constant mesh gearbox)...this is a usual fault with the fzr 600

To repair and if you do not know what you are doing then it isnt a cheap job.

The chap you bought it off has been riding like a c##k, either crash boxing through the gears or keeping the power on whilst changing through the gears.

I would suggest looking on Flebay for a 2nd hand box but like mentioned this is a usual fault so you may jump out of the frying pan into the fire.