Model: ER6F

Seat height: 790mm

Power: 71BHP

Torque: 66NM

MPG: 55-75mpg

Fuel capacity: 15.5 litres

Price paid: £5100

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/2009-motorcycles/kawasaki-er-6f.jpg

It was a brand new 11 plate, and I thought just over 5k for a new bike was pretty good. I have added the MCN review below but there are bits I disagree on and also bits I want to make clear.

Firstly while I do think this is a good commuter and first big bike, It is much more than either of those things. Kawasaki call it their urban warrior and even that doesn't fit properly in my opinion, given the bikes character. It will happily go through towns but god is it hot running. The fan comes on even on cold days within a minute of being sat at the lights, I have a CBR600F which with its higher tuned engine takes much longer to get that hot. And the heat it throws onto your legs when the fan comes on is annoying especially in summer when you are melting without the help of your bike.

It will munch up motorways and do it especially well with a touring screen. It is viby I will add, which adds to the fatigue of a long journey. But it is not a vibration thats hard to live with, its constant and not very noticeable though. It gives the bike more feel and also a feel of more grunt when it accelerates. You won't be going especially fast but you will feel like its 20-30mph more.

It corners excellently, its handling in the bends is unique. It is sharp and easy to bank over, but is confidence inspiring and the stock bridgestones inspire you to keep leaning further.

I used it to travel from Warrington to NW London via backroads and there it made sense. It is amazing fun to use on those little adventures around Britains more under used A roads. A charming little all rounder I would say.

My gripes with it are that it will corrode quickly if not looked after. Try not to leave it outside and wash it down if you have used it through bad conditions a number of times. Otherwise the first thing to corrode is the levers and the rear master brake cylinder, shortly followed by the exhaust and rear shock bolts.

Good bits:

1. Affordable to buy, insure, and fuel

2. Highly fun mini-adventure bike

3. Ninja looks

4. Better than the other 650's around currently

Bad bits:

1. Rusts quickly

2. Tax is £70, £20 more than a super sports 600 because it has an extra 50cc (but makes much less emissions)

3. Using it for long distance is not the best move

Top tips:

If you want the fun side of this bike, and aren't dont do many motorways, buy the Kawasaki ER6N. Much more unique looking, just as fun and £500 cheaper at the dealers for a bit of fairing. Its mechanically identical, so it makes sense.

http://www.motorzoneuk.com/modules/cardirectoryspl/images/3054_1.jpg

And finally the review: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/biker ... 9-current/

My dads got one. It was his 1st bike in around 15 years. He bought new aswell bcos bang for buck (new) it cant really be beaten imo.

He has a white one with the fairn (ER-6F) We bought him a double bouble tinted screen for his bday and looks great.

Think he gets over 50MPG with mixed driving.

I learned on the ER-6N which is the unfairned version, thats why I said to him about getting one.

Good deals on at Kawasaki (well a couple of months ago dnt no now) think he paid £99 deposit, then 0% finance for 4 years (works out around £110 a month) and thats with the extended 4 year warranty.

An ideal bike for a first big bike and bcos its a V-twin it sounds pretty good imo.

Defo recommended and if its good enough for a reputable training company to learn people on, then it must be good. Isnt the slowest either. Think they have around 71bhp.

• 2 years later...

I had one of these on a 13 plate as a courtesy bike while my 600f was in for service (currently for sale :-P) and I must admit I was quite impressed, all of the good points you mentioned were exceptionally good although the only real drawback I noticed was how snatchy the throttle was... But other than that a very good little entry bike for the money.