What model was it? 1098

When did you buy it and how much did it cost?

Bought new Sep07 for £11k

Good points?

incredible handling, very light weight, huge torque, fabulous styling, spits and barks like a real bike should and all with standard cans fitted :lol: it's very Red, Brembo monobloc brakes= the best! at 6'1" I still fit it 8-) it rides better than it looks!!!

Bad points?

needs a full battery to turn those big pistons so an optomate is essential. pillion seat is for show it is not possible to ride 2 up with any degree of fun, uncomfortable they say - I say the comfort factor has never wiped the grin off my face....ever!

Would you get another?

No, I'd get another sports bike and then hope and pray I didn't miss the 1098 :lol:

Any other comments?

Ducati's are unreliable? thats why I've had to change the regulator and battery under warranty and ummm nothing else in 4 years. I have owned a few Jap bikes that were a lot less reliable and a lot less fun on the road.

1098.jpg.03589a3b8eb7b80193f29fd3139ceae9.jpg

Edited by Guest

I've never been on a dump truck so can't compare! To be honest though I find the 'shake' of a V twin far more acceptable than the annoying 'buzz' through the bars n foot pegs that's common in lots of in-line four engines.

I've never been on a dump truck so can't compare! To be honest though I find the 'shake' of a V twin far more acceptable than the annoying 'buzz' through the bars n foot pegs that's common in lots of in-line four engines.

Suppose were all different, just your more different :)

Suppose were all different, just your more different :)

cheers :P

having read lots of the latest posts on the forum I'll have to take that as a compliment 8-) :lol:

:thumb::

Its just most would prefer the smooth nature of an inline 4, they dont really buzz,

Last bike I loaned off the bike shop was an early Fazer 600, good fun but man did it buzz! also had a ride on Houdini's Kwak Z750s, that was a lot of fun too but was toe numbingly vibey through the pegs let alone through the bars and lets not mention the screen that screams when it hit its resonant frequency :shock:

I guess it's stuff you get used to if all you ride is in line fours.

Having said that my Blackbird has counterbalancers on the crankshaft as standard to eliminate any vibes and is easily the smoothest bike I've ever ridden.

• 1 month later...

The z750s was so good i traded it in for a r1 I think, lose track of which one replaced what, will try not to be so fickle now I too own a unreliable italian piece of crap ;)

give us a review of your new Diavel Marty! it'll be fun to see how Techno the 'anti ducati fanatic' chips in with a reply :lol:

Derek I would have thought you know me better than that I am not an anti ducati fan anymore than anti yam,honda, kwak repeat to fade!

Please read carefully....i liked 749,999 I like your 1098 (please note i regard yours as superb earlier in the thread), I like the 848 especially in white, I hate the monster, old multistrada (tho new one seems ok) as they are ugly as sin imo.

Your old paul smart rep was also ugly imo but as I dont like any retro or classic bike that falls into the same category as any old/retro marque.

As I have stated before as some others I think the diavel looks like a fat monster and is as ugly as sin.

So as you can see I at least have a varied opinion, my problem is you as others see "ducati" on anything from bog roll to a top end bike and its got to be the best thing since sliced bread or in others words a biased fanboy, something I am not over any marque.

Oh and I was underwhelmed by the desmo rr as well.

Hope this finally sinks in thanks for reading :up: :lol:

Oh and just in case you struggle with the english :lol:

Derek fyddwn i wedi meddwl eich bod yn gwybod yn well na mi nad oeddwn i'n ffan Ducati wrth anymore na iam wrth, honda, kwak ailadrodd i bylu!

Darllenwch yn ofalus .... i yn ei hoffi 749,999 Rwy'n hoffi eich 1098 (sylwer i ystyried fel eich un chi gwych yn gynharach yn y edau), Rwy'n hoffi y 848 yn enwedig mewn gwyn, dwi'n casáu yr anghenfil, hen multistrada (tho newydd neb yn iawn) gan eu bod yn hyll fel pechod IMO.

Roedd yr hen Eich paul smart cynrychiolydd hefyd hyll IMO ond wrth i dont rwy'n hoffi unrhyw feic retro neu clasurol sy'n dod i mewn i'r un categori ag unrhyw brand oed / retro.

Fel yr wyf wedi dweud o'r blaen gan fod rhai pobl eraill Rwy'n meddwl bod y diavel yn edrych fel anghenfil braster ac yr un mor hyll fel pechod.

Felly, fel y gallwch weld mi o leiaf mae barn amrywiol, fy broblem yw chi fel eraill yn gweld "Ducati" ar unrhyw beth o gofrestr gors i beic ben uchaf ac mae ei gael i fod y peth gorau ers bara wedi'i sleisio neu mewn geiriau i eraill unochrog fanboy, rhywbeth nad wyf dros unrhyw brand.

O, a roeddwn yn underwhelmed gan y rr desmo hefyd.

Hope hyn yn olaf sinciau yn diolch am darllen

Hope thats right as I have no idea :lol:

Derek I would have thought you know me better than that I am not an anti ducati fan anymore than anti yam,honda, kwak repeat to fade!

Please read carefully....i liked 749,999 I like your 1098 (please note i regard yours as superb earlier in the thread), I like the 848 especially in white, I hate the monster, old multistrada (tho new one seems ok) as they are ugly as sin imo.

Your old paul smart rep was also ugly imo but as I dont like any retro or classic bike that falls into the same category as any old/retro marque.

As I have stated before as some others I think the diavel looks like a fat monster and is as ugly as sin.

So as you can see I at least have a varied opinion, my problem is you as others see "ducati" on anything from bog roll to a top end bike and its got to be the best thing since sliced bread or in others words a biased fanboy, something I am not over any marque.

Oh and I was underwhelmed by the desmo rr as well.

Hope this finally sinks in thanks for reading :up: :lol:

Moi a biased fanboy of Ducati?? why the hell did I buy a Blackbird as a 2nd bike instead of the ST3/ST4 from Ducati? and why the hell am I buying a Norton 961 instead of another Ducati?? :?

Can't say I fully agree with your assesment of the duc range tho. I personally never liked the looks of the 999, the Monster is neither one thing or the other to me.... It's a bike thats neither ugly nor nice. The old Multistrada is pig ugly, the new one only slightly better but it rides superbly. My old retro duc I liked from a couple of angles.... from others it looked shite, but being light and agile it flew over the mountain passes almost as well as a 1098. The only Diavel I liked was the red/black carbon model that Marty ended up buying, the others look fat n ugly( but hey it's a cruiser!) it does ride fabulously though, I guess thats why it won bike of the year :scratch:

cheers for not knowing me Gary :wink: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
So compressed, some are great, some are alright and some are shit :lol:

Like the review, Im after the 1198 one day, just because its the biggest V-twin sports bike going i think :)

you got it, just like any other marque really but don't go spreading it about too much, last thing this forum needs is Admin and Mods with a balanced view on motorcycles :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: