Nitrogen in tyres

Throttled

Changed the air to nitrogen in the tyres Sept 2011. Free from Kwick Fit.

GOOD

I did this with my car two years ago and the tyre pressure remained spot on for the whole time. That resulted in perfectly even tyre wear and no trips to the garage to top up with air at now 50p a time.

MEDIUM

I originally paid £2 a tyre to have it done at Budget, but since then Kwick Fit have checked it for free.

BAD

Nothing.

I will update how this goes with the bike's tyres.

Nitrogen offers no benefits over air (which is 80% N2) which I pump into my tyres for free.

Thermal expansion difference is negligible as is the rate of gas escape.

This was debated on the HDRCGB site last year and every scientist was in agreement.

Do it if you feel like it but it is no better than using go-faster stripes or painting your bike in BRG. :)

With the car the tyre pressure stayed the same for 2 years without the need to top it up or anything. No other car I have had has been so consistent. That is where the advantage comes. Finding free air is also getting harder.

I make no performance or improved tyre wear claims for nitrogen. It is purerly convenience and peace of mind.

With the car the tyre pressure stayed the same for 2 years without the need to top it up or anything. No other car I have had has been so consistent. That is where the advantage comes. Finding free air is also getting harder.

I make no performance or improved tyre wear claims for nitrogen. It is purerly convenience and peace of mind.

Just saying there's no research to support their claims and a lot of science to question them all.

It's a free world and people will make their own choices :)

• 1 month later...
With the car the tyre pressure stayed the same for 2 years without the need to top it up or anything. No other car I have had has been so consistent.

That's really remarkable. None of my motorbike, car or truck tyres have ever maintained constant pressure for more than a few months. Since temperature affects tyre pressure, I'm guessing that your climate is relatively even, with no great variance in air temperatures, year round.

I hope you'll notice that I'm trying to learn proper English words and their spelling (motorbike, not motorcycle; tyres, not tires). Preparing to visit the British Isles and hoping not to need an interpreter when I get there.

• 4 months later...
Finding free air is also getting harder.

:scratch:

Foot pump for a tenner from Halfords? You can use it on the car too, just like I do! (double bonus!)

:lol: that's still not free!

Nitrogen offers no benefits over air (which is 80% N2) which I pump into my tyres for free.

Thermal expansion difference is negligible as is the rate of gas escape.

This was debated on the HDRCGB site last year and every scientist was in agreement.

Do it if you feel like it but it is no better than using go-faster stripes or painting your bike in BRG. :)

Better go and tell the Race Teams they are wasting there money. They are under the belief that because there is minimal moisture in Nitrogen as compared to normal air, the fluctuations in tyre pressure are almost non existent which would be beneficial when accurate tyre pressures are crucial. Sheesh, you would have thought they would no better ehh?

I've got it in the car came free with the tyres

My brother is a tyre fitter and says it does hold pressures better and doesn't leak out as easy as air. He runs it in his bike and over the past year has only topped the pressures up twice!