AGV K3 (Matt Black)

Boothy

Price: £105

When bought: 2 months ago.

Good points: The way it fastens is very easy (Micro-metric adjustment buckle is the proper name), very comfortable, no water gets in and effective ventilation system. Visor very easy to remove.

Bad points:

This may seem like a very minor point but its very irritating... the little tab to lift up your visor is on right hand side (your front brake and throttle hand) whereas it makes more sense for it to be on the left). Tad noisy on higher speed corners because I think the wind catches it at a certain angle.

yea, mines left too. That does seem very stupid. If I want to take a hand off the bars to fiddle with anything (visor on helmet/vents on helmet/sun visor on helmet/pull my trousers down a bit when they start restricting blood flow down there) its always the left. You cant afford to take your hand away from the brake!

Good write up though!

yea, mines left too. That does seem very stupid. If I want to take a hand off the bars to fiddle with anything (visor on helmet/vents on helmet/sun visor on helmet/pull my trousers down a bit when they start restricting blood flow down there) its always the left. You cant afford to take your hand away from the brake!Good write up though!

Unless you want to do non handed :wink:

• 1 year later...

hey, just a quick question to the op, how is the paint job holding up on your matt black helmet (if i asked that question anywhere other than a motorbike forum, i'd get some seriously strange looks)...

thinking of going down the matt black route, but heard mixed reviews of how the paint job holds up.

cheers

• 7 months later...

I have bought a K3 with the Simoncelli colours and the SV, so a flip down sun visor. I like the little tab at the front to push the visor up slightly for demisting. It was bought including the pinlock (£170 from J&S), so between the two, no misting problems (so far).

I find it is quieter than my other helmets, especially since the noise seems outside the helmet and not inside with me. So far, inpressed with this helmet.

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/media/catalog/product/a/g/agvk3svsimocilli.jpg

I have bought a K3 with the Simoncelli colours and the SV, so a flip down sun visor. I like the little tab at the front to push the visor up slightly for demisting. It was bought including the pinlock (£170 from J&S), so between the two, no misting problems (so far).

I find it is quieter than my other helmets, especially since the noise seems outside the helmet and not inside with me. So far, inpressed with this helmet.

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/media/catalog/product/a/g/agvk3svsimocilli.jpg

Damn wish I had known about that! Planning to decorate my go kart helmet with some Super Sic and 58 stickers tonight or tomorrow.

Though I should really have found a Senna helmet for this weekend...

I have also gone for this helmet with the drop down visor, I tried at least & different brands and sizes on and this just felt right, I love the vents and although it's not been sunny enough for the visor it's a good addition to the helmet. The pinlock is great and has kept the visor fog free.

The vents are the best of any helmet I have used. You can actually feel the air flowing through. Other helmets (the Caberg V2R being the worst) have vents which I have my suspicions about as there is no difference whatever way the vent is.

• 5 weeks later...

Had a ride yesterday in the first real heat of the year and with all vents open it was lovely, but very noisy! There is a huge difference in noise between all open and all closed.

bought the K3 today. I had a AGV stealth but the visor unclipped on one side when risame s (its 4 years old now). I pulled over with my friends and it was apparent one of the plastic fastening bits had snapped.. not sure how.

Anyway... Luckily close by was Infinity the only bike shop in Norwich open on a Sunday. The replacement

Visor was out of stock, and would take a few days to order in... Costing 55 quid..1). No thanks I said. (seen them on eBay for 20)

So I could either ride around with no visor home/on the rest of the trip or buy a cheap helmet...

Started to look cheapest they had was a HJC 50 quid, but wasn't keen.

My friend had the AGV K3 he liked it... 99 quid.. go on then.. I was told we should replace the helmets after 5 years.. was getting close.. could use it as a spare. Can't go home on such a nice day, the lads don't get together often... All that stuff started to come up... Basically I was justifying buying one.

Bought the thing and off we went, with the old helmet strapped to the bike visorless.

Well..

Firstly the helmet was uncomfortable a little more tighter round the ears..was the same size as the AVG stealth i had. I was told itll give. It was only after the ride I noticed this being tighter.

Secondly the noise... Jesus Christ it's like permantly listening to one of them bands called 'rape my bum 666' on full volume. Wind noise galore.

Thirdly big fan of the double d. Didn't have this on the k3.

Fourthly it feels a lot heavier

All in all I've ordered a 20 quid visor, from Mr visor for my stealth. The K3 will be a spare or im pondering on ebay. Or maybe give it a little longer and see what I think.

It made me appriciate helmets... Good ones! Honestly stealth or other good versions worth the bit extra.

Sorry to nag... More annoyed with myself for spending 99 quid on something I don't like.

On the plus side, it looks nice and I'm sure meets the same standard of saving your life as with any AVG. But grr noise!

Been watching this thread for a while... but didn't want to be the first unsatisfied poster!

Bought my K3 in July 2012 for around £160, but on the basis that I was only the bike 3 times last year I am still only going to count that as 1yrs ownership.

I had set criteria when I was shopping for a new lid but that went out the window and I bought a pretty instead.

Mine must be the older one as it has no internal sun visor (which was one of my criteria)

It also did not come with a pinlock visor which was another criteria (i can buy a pinlock visor but they are quite pricey).

The reason I was buying a new lid was because my old caberg trip was so drafty which is very unpleasant when its cold out.

I noticed pretty quickly that the agv was just as if not more drafty than the Caberg. So I took it back to the shop and it turned out that the rubber seal around the visor was not complete so there were open gaps at the side. I don't remember if it went to AGV or if the shop sorted the seal problem but anyway it now had a proper seal all the way round. Noticed on my next ride out that it was still extremely drafty. Back to the shop again and turned out there was a fault where the visor attaches and the clip was loose. So it went back to AGV who replaced the lid.

I didn't think I'd miss the internal sun visor a huge amount but quickly found I was wrong, forked out £40 for tinted visor. The tinted visor does the trick but having to stop, get off the bike, remove helmet to change the visor is a PITA. It may be possible to change the visor without removing lid but I find the catch quite fiddly and haven't managed yet.

I still find the lid to be very drafty (with vents closed) which means I won't go out when its cold because ice cold air hitting your face isn't fun. Also find it to be very noisey, was expecting it to be quieter than my flip front lid but not so.

Same as Burgess118, I find the lid to be very close around the ears and so I can't use the intercom we bought, my regular earphones don't fit either so I can't even just swap them.

Much of this is my fault, I know! But the main reason for buying a new lid was because of how drafty my Caberg had become (visor maybe twisted due to being taken off for cleaning?) and I wanted one with a gold sticker in case I do a track day. It has the gold sticker, and sure the draftiness is great when its 20+ outside but i live in scotland so it hardly ever is meaning it does not fulfill the main reason I bought it.

If I start riding again with any regularity I will definitely be buying a replacement. Which is a shame because it is really pretty!

391428_10151962849555065_1950806720_n.jpg