Michelin pilot road 3

dimmers

Switched to these tyres as i wanted an 'all year round' tyre, and something that would give me more mileage that what i was using.

Only done 1000 miles so far, but first impressions are good.

- less tracking than my previous tyre (Bridgestone BT012s)

- very good wet weather performance

- good grip in wet and dry

- still look pretty much brand new after 1000 miles

2011-11-19%25252010.46.27.jpg"%20height="640"%20width="480"

haven't taken a picture of the front, but that's in equally a good condition.

just a few further details, as i know there are a lot of factors that affect the wear/performance of a tyre. So,

bike: honda hornet (2010)

rider weight: 75kg

commute a total of 25 miles a day through A and B roads, with plenty of corners.

as i'm commuting, my rides are fairly conservative, but there is the odd section on my commute where i can open her up :)

Ive always loved michellins but I tend to get an odd wear pattern on the front right shoulder of them, thats on 2 different bikes and 2 different speck michellins.

Also someone else i was talking to at the tyre place i use did exactly the same, so if I ever get to a point of changing both together am gonna try a different make to see if the same happens.

• 2 months later...

Ok, bit of an update.

I've done nearly 3000 miles on these tyres now, and i'm amazed they still look like new.

I'm so confused by these tyres, they offer such good grip (especially in the wet) yet they just don't seem to wear down :?

In comparison, the set of Bridgestone tyres i was using before (came stock on my bike - BT012s) were almost done by 3000 miles.

Needless to say, i'm a massive fan of these tyres!

Ive always loved michellins but I tend to get an odd wear pattern on the front right shoulder of them, thats on 2 different bikes and 2 different speck michellins.

does it wear on what they call the shoulders? about an inch in from the edge and look like its worn more then the rest ? if so it can be normal depending on your riding style and most if not all tyres will wear the same

does it wear on what they call the shoulders? about an inch in from the edge and look like its worn more then the rest ? if so it can be normal depending on your riding style and most if not all tyres will wear the same

I'll show you at the end of march.

Last one went totally out of shape causing a low speed wobble!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hit 5000 miles today on these tyres, and they are still performing very well.

the tread still looks as good as the last pic i posted! honestly, i wish i'd switched to these tyres sooner. The way things are going i think i'm going to get at least 10,000 miles out of the rear :shock:

Wet weather riding is easy on these, they really do inspire confidence.

• 8 months later...

Ok, just thought i'd post another update, just hit 10k miles on this set of pilot road 3's the other day, and there is still enough tread left for another 500 miles or so.

Yep, i shall be getting another pilot road 3 for the rear next time round! :lol:

• 3 months later...

Probably bored of me posting reviews in here now on this tyre, but i thought it was only fair that i put a final post in this week, as on Friday i'm getting the rear replaced (finally).

After doing a staggering 12,500 miles, it has finally worn through all the tread (in the middle of the tyre anyway).

Considering how i ride, and that my last tyre (BT012) only did around 3,500 miles, i'm very impressed. Hence the reason i'm buying another pilot road 3 on Friday.

if i can remember, i'll post another pic just before it comes off.

• 10 months later...

Had my front Pilot Road 3 fitted last week. Still have got to get the back done once my chain finally gets delivered but WOW , what a difference over the BT021 I had on the front. The bike has never felt better to ride since I've had it.

I guess the only downside is if I sell the bike, someone else is going to get the benefit of this great rubber.

I've done nearly 3000 miles on these tyres now, and i'm amazed they still look like new.

Ive got them on my S1000 and done a few hundred miles, and despite not going gently, they still look pretty new - its almost embarrassing!!

I have them on mine they seem fine, no different to the bt023's I had, might just need to change the front next year rather than both as the shoulders are already showing signs of wear.

I've gone through the range of Pilot Roads and they've just got better and better :thumb: TBH I'm not sure whether to try the PR4's but I've still got a bit of time and can go through the reviews 8-) They say you get even more miles out of the 4 so I'll wait as I say but the 3's are really great for holding and don't seem to need any warming up :salute:

I got the 4s on misinformation, and I should have got the 3s.

I found out after I fitted them (was told different by tyre place) PR3 is medium in the centre and soft on the edge, and the PR4 is hard in the middle and medium on the edge. I was told the only difference was sidewall stiffness which is why I went for 4.

4 is plenty grippy enough but I am not doing many miles so would have opted for the softest possible by choice. Think these 4s will be out of date before they are half worn!

• 10 months later...

I bought the PR3's on the 27 November 2014. Already, I've worn the rear past its limit. Keeping the front as it's wear is good.

Miles = ~5000. 65% motorway 35% fast twisties.

Gotta say I'm really impressed with the handling and the ability to stay up. There were a few times where I thought I'd leant too far but they kept me up.

I'm not, however, impressed with the wear. This could be due to one burnout (so I can say I've done one, and no I will not be doing another).

I'm giving the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023's a go (rear only).

I have been using P2 road for years, so this time i have gone for P3 race. and i LOVE them. glad people are saying wear is good too, but this pair are not going to see a motorway if i can help it.