Clutch not disengaging

gav00

Hi all!

I have a problem. Ive had my bike about 5 weeks and ridden it twice with no issues. That's not a lot I know but it's winter!

Anyway, the last 3 weeks or so the bike has just been sitting, until tonight, when I decided I would go for a little spin. Basically I got on the bike, pulled in the clutch and selected first gear... The bike stalled!

To rub salt in the wound, I tried to restart the bike but the battery didn't have enough in it to turn the starter motor for round two! So I obviously need a new battery as well...

Back to the main issue. With the engine off, and in gear, and the clutch pulled in, I am unable to move the bike! I have tried adjusting the tension In the cable at the lever and the clutch end but still no joy.

Any ideas what it could be, or what to try next?

The bike is a Triumph Daytona 600.

Sounds like the plates have stuck together get it running and up to temp and it might release

I've started a bike in gear before today and then held it on the brakes to make it release with the clutch pulled in of course

Personally I would strip the clutch though

Have you got a centre stand? Put front wheel of bike up against a wall, pull backwards onto centre stand. Start bike up, get it good and hot, sit on it, give it 5000 rpm in first gear, pull clutch in, roll off stand towards wall. Should seperate the clutch plates :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ah, well theres your problem. Twice in five weeks?!?

Back on topic, not sure about bigger bikes, but certainly on bicycles and on the YBR (which is basically a bicycle with an engine) you can adjust the clutch cable by tightening it by the lever. It could just be too slack to disengage the clutch?

Well I managed to free the clutch and have been for a short spin on it tonight!

I just ran the bike for 10 mins to let it heat up, then switched it off, put it in first and pushed it back and forwards with the clutch in until it came free! Worked a treat!

However, I have now noticed that there is quite a loud whirring/whining noise in some gears? 2nd and 4th I think.... I hadn't noticed it before but then I had only ridden the bike a couple of times. Any idea what it could it be?

Thanks

Oil level is fine.

Been out on it today and there is a definite whine in 2nd and 4th when the bike is under load. If I change up or down from either gear the noise instantly disappears?!

Any more suggestions what this could be?

Maybe I need to get a mechanic to look at it?

Oil level is fine.

Been out on it today and there is a definite whine in 2nd and 4th when the bike is under load. If I change up or down from either gear the noise instantly disappears?!

Any more suggestions what this could be?

Maybe I need to get a mechanic to look at it?

Does the whining stop if you hold the clutch in and/or let off the throttle?

I think it stopped when I let off the throttle, couldn't say about just pulling the clutch in?

In fact, with the throttle open is high pitched whine... Throttle off its a lower pitch sound. It does sound like transmission noise, or how I would imagine transmission to sound, but it's mad that I only get it in 2 gears?

I have a Speed Four (basically the same engine) and I get transmission whine in 4th for sure.....never in 2nd long enough to notice.....so I think that this is just something peculiar to these bikes. I've had mine for a bit less than a year and covered 3000 miles with no problems.....but I'm doing the service at the moment and will change the oil tomorrow hopefully....so I'll see if the whine in 4th is still there after the change.

Sounds like a selector fork or drum issue to me. Hope it isn't.

is this a bad thing? Sounds expensive?

I'll be honest, I know next to f*ck all about the mechanics of motorbikes but I'm hoping to learn as I go.... Think I might drop it in the garage for a check up to be on the safe side!

Let me know how you it sounds after the oil change Tango!?

Ps. Megawatt.... You gave me a price a few weeks back to make an exhaust for my bike! How much would you charge to take 6" off the end of the stock can? I don't have the gear or time to do it myself.... You be able to do that?

Cheers

just a daft question, but the drive chain is not to tight is it ? that will cause a whine and damage to the gearbox out put shaft bearing in time.

Keith

I've checked the chain tension and it's in line with manufacturers recommendation...

It had been sitting for a while but clutch is now free an working normally, just developed the whining noise!

Just wondering if when the plates stuck and freed up that they got damaged somehow......although that again would make a noise in all gears.... :?

And it definitely didn't make this noise before you had clutch trouble?

Louder exhaust may be the best option..... :lol: :lol: