Fork oil seal stuck

zedhead

Hi

Replacing the fork oil seals on my daughters 1996 SYM Husky 125.

So far i have undone the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork sucess

removed internal spring spacer washer and damper rod sucess

Removed oil seal circlip sucess

Tried to pull the top tube [chrome] from the bottom tube by using it as a slide hammer as per most instructions, to pull the oil seal out and fail.

The oil seal appears stuck. Any tips?

Heat mate...... :wink:

Replaced the fork oil seals on my OH's daughters CG125 a while back......had to resort to using a hot air paint stripper to heat the outside of the fork to epand it slightly. Even then it took a bit of shifting as the seals had corroded into the fork legs......but got there eventually..... 8-)

Thanks Tango thats the idea i have finally realised would work best. I have a heat gun so i shall try to soften up the seal and prise it out [carefully!!!] with a screwdriver. I don't want to keep down the slidehammer route as i think the bushings have already tried to stick together!

I will post on the results of applying some heat

If only it was that easy! Yes i have removed the circlip. The only thing holding the legs together [ooh err] is the oil seal. As i am reluctant to use the slidehammer method for fear of damaging the bushes iam trying something suggested on another forum.....Brake fluid to disintegrate the seal,no luck yet. I will post the result when i finally get it apart.

SUCESS !!

After soaking the seal in brake fluid for 48 hours, i put the fork in a vice used the slidehammer technique about 10 times voila! and it popped out. Now to install the new oil seal ,put the fork back together and then do the other one.

Thanks for the tips and intrest.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping for the best. I'm going to do this tomorrow. But I can't find it anywhere how much fork oil I need to put in. Can anybody help? Thank you.

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping for the best. I'm going to do this tomorrow. But I can't find it anywhere how much fork oil I need to put in. Can anybody help? Thank you.

What bike?

Hi closest I've got, but as they made mainly scooters would have thought the forks for the Husky and Wolf were the same, can only try, fork fluid shows as 160 to 180 cc's , so I would put in 180cc's ,then test the suspension if too hard, use a oven baster (the tube type with the pump on the end ) to suck some oil out ,they have graduations on so take the same amount gradually out of each fork until you get a good feel :thumb:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmtx54ab1kxxy6a/Sym%20Wolf%20Service%20Manual%20%28wolf%20125%29.pdf?dl=1