Do people really get that weak as they get older??!!

XmisterIS

I can also talk with out caps lock!

and that was typed after several glasses of wine on my daughters cute pink laptop, because mines dead....terribly sorry if my offensive misuse of caps really irritated you ( actually.... nah i'm really not ...can't see that there was any need for that comment at all tbh )

I can also talk with out caps lock!

and that was typed after several glasses of wine on my daughters cute pink laptop, because mines dead....terribly sorry if my offensive misuse of caps really irritated you ( actually.... nah i'm really not ...can't see that there was any need for that comment at all tbh )

Actually I'd prefer it if everyone typed with caps lock on.....it would save me having to put my reading glasses on... :lol: And that is another sign of age..... :lol: :lol: What will I do when I get too weak to put them on..... :wink:

Good post! Though I prefer deadlifting double or triple bodyweight ;)

Another weight lifter on the forum i see :)

Triple bodyweight :o wish i could do that, maybe one day i will manage that.

Seem to find it hard getting above double (mine is 180Kg at 85Kg) but some of my mates are approaching the 300kg mark...

If you dont mind out of curiosity, what is your deadlift and body weight?

I do believe that we do get weaker as we get older, but at the end of the day people have different strengths dependent on which muscle groups they use.

For example I used to do a lot of archery. There is a very specific way to pull a bow without doing yourself a lot of damage, so over the years I strengthened a very specific set of arm / back muscles just by shooting hundreds of arrows every day.

We used to train at a rugby club and one day, one the rugby guys came over and asked if he could have a go and shoot an arrow. This guy was as fit as a butchers dog, but could he pull my bow.......................not a chance.

It was rather funny watching him try - LOL

We all have different levels of strength and fitness, depends on which bits you chose to use / train, so you can't just make sweeping statements about people being unfit just because they can't perform a certain action.

Well that's what I think anyway :roll:

I do believe that we do get weaker as we get older, but at the end of the day people have different strengths dependent on which muscle groups they use.

For example I used to do a lot of archery. There is a very specific way to pull a bow without doing yourself a lot of damage, so over the years I strengthened a very specific set of arm / back muscles just by shooting hundreds of arrows every day.

We used to train at a rugby club and one day, one the rugby guys came over and asked if he could have a go and shoot an arrow. This guy was as fit as a butchers dog, but could he pull my bow.......................not a chance.

It was rather funny watching him try - LOL

We all have different levels of strength and fitness, depends on which bits you chose to use / train, so you can't just make sweeping statements about people being unfit just because they can't perform a certain action.

Well that's what I think anyway :roll:

doest his mean you walk with a wierd tilt? cos you got strong on one side and not the other?

Good post! Though I prefer deadlifting double or triple bodyweight ;)

Another weight lifter on the forum i see :)

Triple bodyweight :o wish i could do that, maybe one day i will manage that.

Seem to find it hard getting above double (mine is 180Kg at 85Kg) but some of my mates are approaching the 300kg mark...

If you dont mind out of curiosity, what is your deadlift and body weight?

Hey bud! Yup, aspiring powerlifter here, lol!

I'm 5'6 and 87kg! Not able to do a triple yet I'm afraid - only been training for one year. But to give you a general idea, I'm shooting for 200kg this Friday and I want 220kg (5pps) next month. I think DL's my best lift mainly because I'm so short, as my Squatting is crap in comparison lol (145kg).

I know what you mean about the big lifts though - my cousin cracks out 270kg deads. I'm not expecting to break that off the floor within the next coupla years lol.

How long you been lifting for? Into Powerlifts or just general lifting?

Cheers

Gaz

Hey Gaz,

Been lifting since 16 altho stopped for a bit at 17 (Now 21).

Tbh for the time i have been training and the number of hours i put in imo i should be a lot higher...

But stats are:

BW= 85Kg at 6ft1". So you must be a bit bigger than me lol :)

Bench: 100X3

Deaflift: 180Kg 1 rep max (want to get up to 200Kg before summer, might try 190Kg tonight)

Squat: The lift i never seem to manage to keep up (soon as the work gets alot it is what i end up missing altho hoping to change that from now on), atm is at 120Kg for 3 but have only got back into them and trying to get my leg position nailed.

General lifting i guess like the idea of starting to do more olympic lifts tho like clean and jerk exc

The worse thing i find about my progress is i know what i need to do to get the lifts up like getting a sorted diet (constant 3.8k cals a day for me) and a good 8 hours sleep a day would be perfect. Managed to do it last year for half a term but as soon as the uni work loads comes it all goes to crap...

Good lifts mate!

You're right - consistency is the key! That and keeping things simple. I only lift three times a week and I'm usually in and out in half an hour/45mins.

Calorie-wise, I find that adding ready brek and peanut butter into my shakes, using milk instead of water and blending it all up works well for me; each shake's about 700kcals then lol.

Good lifts mate!

You're right - consistency is the key! That and keeping things simple. I only lift three times a week and I'm usually in and out in half an hour/45mins.

Calorie-wise, I find that adding ready brek and peanut butter into my shakes, using milk instead of water and blending it all up works well for me; each shake's about 700kcals then lol.

Cheer man :)

I went through a stage of doing that, love penut butter and porridge is good as well. Hmmm penut butter porridge it is tomorrow!

My problem is not eating the calories as if i go nuts i prob manage around 4k a day. the problem is that just causes me to get fat... Without counting cals i ether sit at a weight or eat to much lol...