USA

Guest Terence

• 1 month later...

Terrence, if your trip takes you into Arizona, pm me with your itinerary if you'd like me to ride with you for a day or two. Arizona is a good place to ride in the summer if you stay at higher elevations.

Las Vegas, Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon and Death Valley. My dream bike trip.

After driving near these places in an air conditioned car last year, I do not think I could ever do it on a bike :shock:

Las Vegas, Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon and Death Valley. My dream bike trip.

After driving near these places in an air conditioned car last year, I do not think I could ever do it on a bike :shock:

Having ridden across Rannoch Moor at -5 and hardly having ridden on a really hot day, I cannot wait for some serious heat.

Riding around Las Vegas and Death Valley isn't advisable in summer. But the roads around the rim of the Grand Canyon are at higher elevations, so temps are usually Ok for riding from May through October.

So would May and October be the best compromises?
Daylight hours are longer in May, so that might be a consideration for anyone planning a tour.

I should also point out to anyone considering riding Arizona in summertime that July and August bring thunderstorms. That's when Arizona gets most of its annual rainfall. I know that rain won't deter you UK bikers, but it's not a good idea to be on a bike when lightning is flashing all around you.

What :shock: risk missing out seeing something like this.......

http://twistedsifter.sifter.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/grand-monsoon-lightning-storm-grand-canyon1.jpg

Spectacular... and deadly.

Last summer a biker was killed when a lightning bolt struck and split his helmet and knocked him off his bike. http://www.9news.com/news/story.aspx?st ... &catid=339

Another biker was killed by a lightning strike that blasted out a chunk of pavement, 18” x 8” x 4” deep. http://www.wesh.com/news/9411396/detail.html

When I went to the US with the Scouts for a Jambouree we stayed at a camp in Massachusettes, Camp Norse. One night there was huge thunder and lightning strom such the siren wnet off which meant we had to bail out for the main building. Three of us decided it was too far away as we were at the edge of the site and went to a shower block instead :?

Inside it started to humm and there was a static sort of crackling and I decided to make a run for it just as the block was hit by lightening. My two friends inside came out like scalded rats with their hair on end. I had ended up on face down in the mud and I remember the brief heat and light was incredible. None of us were hurt thankfully.

So I would rather be on the photographers side of the canyon :D

One night there was huge thunder and lightning strom...it started to humm and there was a static sort of crackling...and I decided to make a run for it just as the block was hit by lightening...My two friends inside came out like scalded rats with their hair on end. I had ended up on face down in the mud and I remember the brief heat and light was incredible.
That's quite a story, Throttled! I'm glad you survived unhurt, but I'm looking at your avatar and wondering if the lightning strike might have had a lasting effect on you.

Anyway, back to the subject of riding in Arizona during the thunderstorm season. Moisture in the atmosphere creates spectacular clouds. Amazing sunrises and sunsets. But when it's not raining it's very hot, especially at lower elevations, like around Phoenix and Tucson. That time of year is better for the photographic opportunities than for riding. I recommend spring for the best riding weather.

This is just planning the dream, but somewhere like here would be ideal for a few nights

http://www.gouldings.com/

a campsite with views of Monument Valley. Are you allowed to take a motorbike and ride trails or just off road around Monument Valley?

I haven't been to Monument Valley yet. I don't ride off road or camp anymore. Several members of my local bike club are avid off-roaders and occasional campers. I can put you in touch with them if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.

I hope you won't have to wait too much longer to live your dream.

The scenery in the American southwest is spectacular and so different than where you live I understand its attraction for you. But IMO, the best motorbiking in the USA is in California. If I could take only one riding tour anywhere in the world, I would choose to ride the length and breadth of California. Straight, hot desert highways to serpentine coast roads with the natural air conditioning of dependable fog. Snow-capped mountains and redwood forests. I've already lived that dream - and I hope I can do it again sometime.