MOD1 and MOD2

Afternoon All!

I know what i am bout to ask is a very vague question but anyones expereince would be great!

I am 23, finished uni and now employed and relocated and just managed to get to point where i actually have some cash for myself...i thought ill put my money where my mouth is and finally get a bike licence!!!

I would like to know how many lesson people required before they actually managed to get their licence. I have passed the CBT ad theory and looking at MOD1 and MOD2, both offer a days training in each MOD which is 4 x 2.5hour lessons, there are additional half days lessons available. I have not motorbike experience (other than CBT) what so ever so just looking for ball park figures (hours wise)

Cheers :cheers:

Moved here! :)

I think it really depends on several factors...

...how competent your riding skills are, your road awareness i.e do you drive?

Maybe go to where you did your CBT & see if they will do an assessed ride, and then they can inform you how much further training you might need :)

Yeah i was thinking of doing the training with the same instructors as the CBT,

Been driving since i was 17 and (touch wood) never had an accident of a penalty, mainly becasue i was driving the parents car and never into the boy racer scene ha.

Did the instructors advise you on whther they thought you were capable?

Most will. The majority of trainers are seasoned bikers so understand people's needs.

If you're happy with the place you did your CBT that's great. We have heard stories of people being ripped off by being told they need more training than necessary, just to make money!

Personally I'm still on a 125, choosing to get the experience before taking my test. It's swings & roundabouts really - cost of more lessons but licence more quickly V's cost of 125 & fewer lessons, but takes longer.

Really depends on your choice of how you want to do it :)

Also depends where you live. If like me, you live next to a duel carriageway/motorway then you will want to get something bigger than a 125, but if you are just using it around town then I would do what suzie did, and ride around on a 125 for a year or two.

Anyway, you have many different choices, you can do your DAS at your age... Just thought, it may be worth ignoring the bit about riding around for a year or two because the tests are changing in jan/feb next year. And when they change you will have to do more tests to be able to ride any bike.

As it has been said, it really depends how good a rider you are. Some people can pass first time with no training, others can pass third or forth time with weeks of training. Only an assessor can tell you.

Afternoon All!

I know what i am bout to ask is a very vague question but anyones expereince would be great!

I am 23, finished uni and now employed and relocated and just managed to get to point where i actually have some cash for myself...i thought ill put my money where my mouth is and finally get a bike licence!!!

I would like to know how many lesson people required before they actually managed to get their licence. I have passed the CBT ad theory and looking at MOD1 and MOD2, both offer a days training in each MOD which is 4 x 2.5hour lessons, there are additional half days lessons available. I have not motorbike experience (other than CBT) what so ever so just looking for ball park figures (hours wise)

Cheers :cheers:

Off the top of my head I had around 6 lessons in a two month period plus the lesson before each test. Due to work and other commitments I couldn't have a session every week. This worked well for me and I passed each test 1st time. How long it takes you will depend on factors already mentioned, your confidence, control, whether you pass first time and how your instructor feels about your riding.

I went for the full unrestricted licence and had no prior riding experience. I questioned whether its worth getting a 125 first to gain some experience on a bike but quickly found out that its not worth it. If your goal is to get a bigger bike then forget the 125. I find it easier to ride a bigger, more powerful bike that it was to ride the 125 and it only goes as fast as you make it :wink:

:cheers:

After my CBT I rode my YBR125 for six months to gain confidence and road skills that taking a short route won't give you.

When I felt able to go for my test I was uncertain whether or not to go for my DAS but I tried a 'bigger' bike at the instructor's and couldn't put my feet down so took the 125 route on my own bike.

I passed first time on a bike I was comfortable with and now ride a restricted Gladius 650, which I love!

I went for an hour's lesson a week and I think it was about 18 lessons in the end.

The wife and I got one 125 between us which she used to get to work and then I could potter about evenings/weekends and practice between lessons.

They kept me on the 125 for about 8 weeks as they said it highlights mistakes more but it's easier to wrestle back from any mistakes.

After that they asked if I wanted to do the test on the 125 or DAS.

I then had 2 lessons back on site on the 500, a couple on the roads and then started test preparation.

The Mrs decided she wanted to do her test on the 125 so she was a couple of weeks ahead of me since she didn't need the time to get used to the 500 and she could book her test herself whenever they were available as she could go down on her own on her bike rather than my needing to get the school to book the test based on when the bike and instructor were available to go with me :)