A bit lost & demotivated

Decor58

For quite a while now all I've wanted to do is join the RAF once I finish my degree. However I've recently found out that they wont be hiring for the role I want to do until the end of the year. My problem is that I finish my course in June and my house contract runs out at the same time. Therefore I'll technically be homeless with nothing to do from the end of June.,There are several places I can stay and I do have a part time job in a care home but I'd rather be doing something more with my time that will hopefully aid my RAF application.

Therefore I need something to do that is worth while until I can get in the RAF but I'm not sure what. Ideally I'd get a job in an airport or somewhere aviation related on a temporary contract although I've yet to find something suitable.

Does anyone know of placements or anything that might be suitable or have any other ideas of things I could do until then that would be worth while and preferably bring a bit of money in?

I have considered that, our uni runs some schemes where we can go to america for a summer. However I need to be available in the UK for potential interviews and medicals etc for the RAF so would prefer to be in the UK. I have considered schemes in the UK however the cost of living the becomes a factor.

Is there anything that provides accomodation and food in exchange for your commitment?

How about assisting with Summer Camps or outdoor activity centres? Something that would put a roof over your head and food on the plate and also keep you in trim ready for the medicals, etc.

Just throwing a few ideas out..... :wink:

Try getting a job in a YHA hostel, they seem like good temp jobs and if you get a nice location you can enjoy the area too on your days off.

Yeah....spent a week down at YHA Oakhampton a few years back doing one of their activity breaks.....guys there seemed to enjoy what they were doing.... 8-)

I've heard a lot about Go Ape from people and it sounds like a great place to go to. Just looking through the site and it looks like something I'd quite enjoy too. That's currently top of the list, just wondering if they provide training for some of the instructor positions like climbing... either way I'm sure there's something I could do there, I meet all the personal requirements and most of the desirables too.

Get a temp job with something like PGL, It will really help with your application..

Are you going in as an officer or are you going to work for a living...??? :mrgreen:

Get a temp job with something like PGL, It will really help with your application..

Are you going in as an officer or are you going to work for a living...??? :mrgreen:

Officer :lol: PGL looks good and like Go Ape there's one fairly local to me. The latter is still fav though

Thanks for the ideas guys! Keep them coming :D

I had a 6 month gap between a job and education and my current job now... I spent it fixing bikes, did a Letjog on a 125 and did bits of work for a private health care corp.

Doesn't sound much but there was a lot more to it and it was very fun :lol:

Rob, check out the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, I think I`ve put the thread for their jobs on here (not sure due to dummy on computer :lol: )http://www.nationalmuseums.org.uk/jobs/?

region=2&organisation=3&category=&salary=

You may be able to get something tempory or even volunteer to help in the restoration hangers. Not sure what you`d do for digs though. Worth sending them an e-mail.

Im currently waiting for my army start date (been waiting 4 months) my job too is very specfic and finished uni in May.

It does suck waiting but all i've done is got a job in care. I am now looking for a ew job as my care job gives me no free time really.

Good luck but head down, chin up ;)