Another NHS Disaster

XmisterIS

They couldn't get more incompetent if they tried.

First, there was going to be the all-singing-all-dancing IT network for distributing patient information between departments - that had about £11billion poured into what seemed like a black hole and was then scrapped (£11billon of our money wasted, in other words - absolutely nothing to show for it). What irks me in particular is that I am a very experienced software engineer and I know for definite that a team of competent software engineers, network analysts, designers and ergonomists could (and probably did) get the thing done, technically, for a few £ million. Nevertheless, I am certain that the extra billions were spent by dithering bureaucrats making endless political decisions about things of which they have scant knowledge.

And now this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... y-fund-pfi

It seems like a comedy of errors - firstly, badly negotiated contracts that leave big, rich corporations licking their lips as they get even richer at the expense of the British worker. Secondly, piss-poor management of the NHS by bureaucrats in suits. Thirdly, (and it true British management style), nobody in management actually paying the blindest bit of notice of the voices of the people who matter (nurses, doctors, etc).

and in the mean time both patients (and staff) suffer from poor meals, dangerous staffing levels, low staff moral, high turnover of staff, high sick levels and the list goes on. and it seems no one above ward level gives a damn.

They couldn't get more incompetent if they tried.

First, there was going to be the all-singing-all-dancing IT network for distributing patient information between departments - that had about £11billion poured into what seemed like a black hole and was then scrapped (£11billon of our money wasted, in other words - absolutely nothing to show for it).

Just a little tidbit to stoke the fire! I know a guy who was reasonably high up in the developing chain (but he knew his shit, not a high-level chat crap all day bod) anyway the software was actually pretty much ready and fujitsu (who were making it) had kept to their timelines BUT the genious gov kept added requirements late which pushed stuff back... then when costs started goign up they tried sueing fujitsu for being late, fujiitsu actually then took the hit... out of court and settled, for the sake of maintaining the contract which was redrawn more work done and i rmbr my mate telling me they were even ready for alpha/beta testing cant rmbr... but very late on the gov decided to change its mind on something... believe it was money and now fujitsu (yes it's still going on and costing the tax payer money)are sueing them... for alot!