Duel carriageway speed limits

mealexme

WITHOUT looking it up, reply with your answer and age (you can round down to the nearest 5 if you want to. I am just interested because all my friends of the same age say its one thing (the correct thing. I know as I have looked it up online and in the highway code) and my mum and her friends think a different thing. One of her friends even went to a speed awareness course (caught speeding and made to go) and reckons the teacher told her it was the speed she originally thought it was (which is wrong. So I was wondering if its a generation thing?

70mph for all vehicles up to 3.5t as long as there is a central reservation, unless there is street lights at regular intivals, if this is the case it is 30mph unless there are speed repeater signs stating a different speed.

As for age, lets just say just the right side of middle aged :lol:

What's a Duel Carriageway???, still awaiting one of those for main road out of Norfolk!!! Like stone ages around here!!!! But when do hit one, 70mph for bikes and those 4 wheeled things, and I am 27.........I think.

As far as I'm aware, dual carriageways in the UK have a 70mph limit for cars but are unrestricted for motorbikes. In addition, you can legally ride down them on the back wheel. Also, I think I'm correct in saying that racing is permitted for motorbikes on dual carriageways.

(I'll get me coat).

As far as I'm aware, dual carriageways in the UK have a 70mph limit for cars but are unrestricted for motorbikes. In addition, you can legally ride down them on the back wheel. Also, I think I'm correct in saying that racing is permitted for motorbikes on dual carriageways.

(I'll get me coat).

This is a very good point, Im well into saving the planet which is why I often just ride on the back wheel to save wearing away tyres without good reason

hmmm. well your all correct. its not an age thing then. wonder why they all seem to think its 60? strange.

Most people in my local area seem to think the white circle with the big black stripe across it means 40mph (on single and dual carriageways).

Many of them also think that the round sign with the red circle and the big "30" in the middle also means 40mph.

It's the central reservation bit I wasn't aware of until recently (and I'm 31)

There's a section of road between us and the motorway that's two lanes going up the hill and one down to give everyone a chance to overtake the slow things crawling up the hill (of which I'm one in the car) which we came up on the way home from my test. Instructor didn't have the radio on so gave me a "come on" hand gesture and pinned it up the hill. He told me all along I was too slow and needed to be more positive getting up to speed so spent the entire ride home buggering off into the distance. I got up to 70 and thought I'd only just got my licence, I didn't want to lose it instantly so stopped there. Chatting about it when we got back I said I'd chickened out at 70 since that was the limit and he said "no it isn't" and explained.

I wouldn't mind not knowing but I've had my driving licence for 13 years! :)