Duel carriageway speed limits

mealexme

many years ago during the great petrol shortage of the 70's the speed limit on dual carriage ways was lowered to 60mph

cannot remember when it went back to 70mph though ? but who does 70mph on these roads?

• 2 weeks later...

70mph for cars, car derived vans upto 2 tonnes and motorbikes.

60mph for Goods Vehicles under 7.5 tonnes - that includes non car derived vans (so white van man hogging lane 2 at 70mph+ is speeding)

60mph for buses, coaches and minibuses under 12 metres in length (I think)

60mph for cars, car derived vans and motorbikes towing a trailor.

50mph for Goods Vehicles over 7.5 tonnes.

I am 56 so forgive me if I have got any of the above wrong :)

60mph for Goods Vehicles under 7.5 tonnes - that includes non car derived vans (so white van man hogging lane 2 at 70mph+ is speeding)

I was sure that transit style vans were only meant to do 60, I remember someone who went on a speed awareness course saying that..

I was sure that transit style vans were only meant to do 60, I remember someone who went on a speed awareness course saying that..

My Brother has recently done a speed awareness course for the same thing :) He got done at 69mph on a dual in a Transit like van.

correct apart from coaches /minibuses 50mph for them and Goods Vehicles under 7.5 tonnes.

There is nothing in the highway code about a dual carriageway needing a central 'barrier', think some of you have confused it by reading in the highway code about it having a central 'reservation'

"136

Dual carriageways

A dual carriageway is a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways"

[ http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070308 ]

Which can mean a piece of grass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_reservation

Speed limits are here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_178867

What I hadn't realised until doing theory for my bike test it that a dual carriageway doesn't mean two lanes each way it means has a central reservation and therefore two seperate carriageways. I'd always thought it meant having two lanes in each direction, which is why I think people get confused with the 60 v 70 thing. Which means you can have a dual carriageway with only one lane in each direction and the limit is still 70 or a road with 2 lanes in both directions with no central reservation which is a 60.

What I hadn't realised until doing theory for my bike test it that a dual carriageway doesn't mean two lanes each way it means has a central reservation and therefore two seperate carriageways. I'd always thought it meant having two lanes in each direction, which is why I think people get confused with the 60 v 70 thing. Which means you can have a dual carriageway with only one lane in each direction and the limit is still 70 or a road with 2 lanes in both directions with no central reservation which is a 60.

im 43, so if duel cway has barriers 70 no barriers 60 was when i did me car test back in the early 90s

laws do change :|

saying that I stand by it's just confused drivers unless you can give evidence that this was the case in the early 90's.

nsl on dual carriageway, has always been 70 mph since restrictions were introduced, except ( as previously stated , when the fuel was rationed),for a road to be a dual carriageway it must have a definite 'barrier' ( i.e. raised kerb,,,,,,,,,hard wire barrier etc) , otherwise its not a dual carriageway, just a single carriageway even if more than one lane in either direction ( quite correctly stated, this info is not in the highway code)

age 59, d.s.a.a.d.i ( since 89)