Bus driver jailed for deliberately hitting a cyclist

iiisecondcreep

See the story on BBC news website for the CCTV footage, bus driver moves out the right of the cyclist like he is over taking then swerves back in sharply hitting the cyclist :shock:

Gavin Hill, 29, of Frome, previously pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and causing grievous bodily harm.

Bristol Crown Court heard that after an altercation, Hill deliberately knocked Phillip Mead off his bike by swerving the bus into his path.

Sentencing Hill to 17 months in jail, Judge Mark Horton said his action "was not an accident".

"You used the bus as a weapon to bully and intimidate Mr Mead," he added.

Hill was told he would serve half his sentence before being considered for release on licence.

Continued to argue

The court was told the incident started on the morning of 5 April 2011 when Hill had driven too close to Mr Mead on the nearby St James Barton roundabout.

Moments later the bus stopped outside Bristol Magistrates' Court and Mr Mead propped his bike against the front of the vehicle.

He continued to argue with Hill, who remained in his cab.

The court was played CCTV footage which showed Mr Mead cycle off. Moments later the footage shows the bus overtaking him before sharply swerving to the left knocking the cyclist over.

Mr Mead suffered a broken leg and his bike was crushed.

The court was told Hill, a qualified driver with 10 years' experience, was previously of excellent character and his defence accepted the collision happened in "a moment of madness".

Gerald Creed, managing director of Bugler Coaches, said Hill had been sacked by the company on the day the incident happened.

If that lad can ever get back on a cycle he is brave as heck!

Wonder what made the bus go for him :?

Only a bus driver would know ;-)

All I'm going to say is we will never know the full story the cyclist could have provoked him or the driver could just be a nutter

On the bus defence (i'm not sticking up for hm)

I drive 8 miles into Manchester every day and the cyclists are a pain in the arse. They have no reguard for anyone in the road or the pavement, weaving on and off the pavement out into the road. They ride through red lights holding their hands up, like a policeman stopping traffic and if the car gets to close it will get the one finger salute. Commanding the road is ok but don't ride in the middle of the road holding everything thing up then abuse car drivers when they overtake by banging on the car window giving the w**ker sign when the car has stopped in traffic.

Even on the video there is a cyclists turning left when he should be just in the flow of traffic moving to the right.

This cyclist was probably just one of many idiots the bus driver had had to deal with throughout the day.

As bikers if a car, bus or lorry is being a dick we don't up to it and abuse the driver by getting in the way and winding the driver up. We hold back and let the idiot go on ahead where he can't cause us any harm.

Because thats what keeps us safe. If the lentil eating lycra clad land hogging road tax dodging cyclists did the same he wouldn't have a broken leg.

Free the bus driver and make cyclists take a test (like the cbt) before they use the public highway

make cyclists take a test (like the cbt) before they use the public highway

:stupid:

As soon as I was told I wasn't allowed to ride a pedal bike on the pavement I got rid of it.. There is not enough in place for this country to say that cyclists Have to use the road...

Scandanavia Laughs at how bad our cycle lanes/traffic allowing cycle measures we have..

On the bus defence (i'm not sticking up for hm)

I drive 8 miles into Manchester every day and the cyclists are a pain in the arse. They have no reguard for anyone in the road or the pavement, weaving on and off the pavement out into the road. They ride through red lights holding their hands up, like a policeman stopping traffic and if the car gets to close it will get the one finger salute. Commanding the road is ok but don't ride in the middle of the road holding everything thing up then abuse car drivers when they overtake by banging on the car window giving the w**ker sign when the car has stopped in traffic.

Even on the video there is a cyclists turning left when he should be just in the flow of traffic moving to the right.

This cyclist was probably just one of many idiots the bus driver had had to deal with throughout the day.

As bikers if a car, bus or lorry is being a dick we don't up to it and abuse the driver by getting in the way and winding the driver up. We hold back and let the idiot go on ahead where he can't cause us any harm.

Because thats what keeps us safe. If the lentil eating lycra clad land hogging road tax dodging cyclists did the same he wouldn't have a broken leg.

Free the bus driver and make cyclists take a test (like the cbt) before they use the public highway

With you on this one TC, the driver should have been given a suspended sentence due to the provication(sp)

As an aside what does the offence of 'obstructing a public highway' mean ?

Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980

137:-

(1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence

My question is what sentence did the oxygen thief get for propping his cycle against the front of the coach, preventing free passage ?

Oh yes and get well soon

Considering what some people do and don't go to prison for, a moments madness by a provoked bus driver who has no criminal history whatsoever does not warrant prison time for me.

Umm, he could have killed the guy!!

Being angry with a cyclist for whatever reason is one thing. Deliberately driving a 7 tonne bus into him is another!

So Im not condoning what the bus drivers actions but I have just watched the video

And talk about been prevoked he you watch the video the cyclist is blocking his path and holding him up then as the bus goes to pass him the cyclist swerve's towards the bus!

Considering what some people do and don't go to prison for, a moments madness by a provoked bus driver who has no criminal history whatsoever does not warrant prison time for me.

Being angry with a cyclist for whatever reason is one thing. Deliberately driving a 7 tonne bus into him is another!

you could of killed someone speeding.

iv seen loads in the papper and on the news who only got 1 half to 2 years for killing someone with a car, he gets 17 months and he didnt kill anyone, i know of someone who only did 2 years for wipping out a family of 5 in a hgv, so the bus driver prob would off been better of killing him

you could of killed someone speeding.

iv seen loads in the papper and on the news who only got 1 half to 2 years for killing someone with a car, he gets 17 months and he didnt kill anyone, i know of someone who only did 2 years for wipping out a family of 5 in a hgv, so the bus driver prob would off been better of killing him

Each case has its own facts so it's difficult to simplify them. The point is though that the bus driver deliberately drove at him, it wasn't an accident that he hit the cyclist and knocked him off.

My brother was friends with a guy who had a moment of madness, out on the town had to deal with a total a**ehole provoking him for about half an hour. Lost it, smashed a pint glass and cut the guy with it. He ended up in prison for 2 years (half his term) as far as I'm concerned, it's the same difference. The guy used the bus as a potentially lethal weapon to injure the cyclist. What the difference between driving a bus at someone and stabbing them or shooting them? All of them could have fatal outcomes!

Yes cyclist are f**king annoying in general, but so are really old people that can't cross the road before the lights turns red, people who walk too slowly, people who stop suddenly in supermarkets, people who stop at roundabouts whether there is traffic to give way to or not, people who deliberately try to stop you filtering...the list goes on an on but you know what, none of them deserve a broken leg for being annoying, provocative or generally a**eholes :booty: