3 headlamps legal?

XmisterIS

I know it would take quite a bit of modding to the wiring and also a new bracket, but I think three headlamps either in a row or in an upside-down triangle would look unusual and would also be much brighter (having 3x55W instead of my current 1x55W).

BUT --- would it be legal to have three headlamps? Or are you only allowed 2 at max? And what about the positions? Could they be in a triangle or would they need to be in a row?

and I believe headlights have to be within a certain hight don't they? Or they do on cars at least, but no it should be legal. Just think, there are rally car look-a-likes that have four or more lights on the front

. Just think, there are rally car look-a-likes that have four or more lights on the front

:stupid: Exactly that.

I can't see it being a problem. Maybe head down to a garage that does MOT's and just say is this legal?

Or head to your local cop shop and ask. I know cops can be total dicks sometimes but they do usually help you out if your polite about it.

and I believe headlights have to be within a certain hight don't they? Or they do on cars at least, but no it should be legal

They have to be between two certain points a min an max hight the higher you go the lower the beam has to point which is measured as a percentage if you lift the bonnet on a car it should state how much percentage of beam needs the be showing usually 1.3% could be different for bikes but if you get the aligned you won't have no trouble

and I believe headlights have to be within a certain hight don't they? Or they do on cars at least, but no it should be legal

They have to be between two certain points a min an max hight the higher you go the lower the beam has to point which is measured as a percentage if you lift the bonnet on a car it should state how much percentage of beam needs the be showing usually 1.3% could be different for bikes but if you get the aligned you won't have no trouble

This is why I love this forum. A question is asked and it is answered by someone who knows exactly what they are talking about!

Agree with Stu completly, but l would be more concerned that you don't burn out your wireing or alternator. 3 x 55w is way to much power to draw off a bike electrics

Agree with Stu completly, but l would be more concerned that you don't burn out your wireing or alternator. 3 x 55w is way to much power to draw off a bike electrics

That's why you use relay's :-)

The alternator will cope I'd say!

Could always fit a proper hid kit and I mean the full projectors and not just the bulbs they only draw about 8 amps at turn on then drop to around 4!

• 3 months later...

That's why you use relay's :-)

The alternator will cope I'd say!

Could always fit a proper hid kit and I mean the full projectors and not just the bulbs they only draw about 8 amps at turn on then drop to around 4!

I'm interested in additional running lights, the current draw would be less with leds wouldn't it ? and therefore I could wire straight off the dip beam wire ??

yes it probably would but I would put it on a relay as not to overload the dipped beam wire

bikes electrics are made to withstand what is already fitted

I've done conversions like this before, I can make entire sections of wiring harness to deal with that so can easily explain to you and make diagrams of what you would need to do :)

Then Megawatt or someone could perhaps make the bracket to hold your lighting setup!

Thanks Fozzie, I would be grateful for a diagram, wiring wise I'm not sure I'd be wasting yr time tho as I have some twin wire I figure that would do it, I figure.

. Just think, there are rally car look-a-likes that have four or more lights on the front

:stupid: Exactly that.

I can't see it being a problem. Maybe head down to a garage that does MOT's and just say is this legal?

Or head to your local cop shop and ask. I know cops can be total dicks sometimes but they do usually help you out if your polite about it.

I would suggest the MOT garage over the police, it is a pretty technical question that is about positioning of the lights etc.