Well I hope....

Nogin

Well judging how much the football in this country has improved since Sky started showing games etc I suspect that F1 will get stronger. I don't have Sky at the mo but am seriously considering it now..

I also feel it will make F1 stronger. I did have the same view originally as you Nogin until I looked into it some more. It appears the BBC did not want to put up the money for it again. This was confirmed by Brundle who said he was annoyed with the BBC for this and hence he joined Sky because they want to improve the way we watch F1 and add to it. So it is not like the BBC were priced out of it. And so far from what I have seen it looks like Sky are going to do a good job.

Can't say that the quality of football has improved since Sky got exclusive coverage of the Premier league - the money involved has just widened the gap between the 'haves' and 'have-nots' IMO.

I find it very annoying that money can dictate who gets to watch what on TV these days!!!! :evil:

Can't say that the quality of football has improved since Sky got exclusive coverage of the Premier league - the money involved has just widened the gap between the 'haves' and 'have-nots' IMO.

I find it very annoying that money can dictate who gets to watch what on TV these days!!!! :evil:

I know what you mean is annoying. It seems money dictates the whole thing though as unfortunately I think it comes down to a vicious cycle of F1 being a business and want the best price for the rights to show the races etc (Well greedy Bernie does). Then the people who buy the rights then want to re-coup that and make a profit i.e Sky

Out of interest as I didn't grow up in the UK, anyone know how it worked before Sky came along, was football ever shown live on a Saturday on the likes of BBC/ITV? or was it just the highlights in the evening?

Cos I'm old I qualify to answer your question NearOn :oops: :lol:

The BBC used to have the right to show most football but particularly the old division 1, which was the top flight before the premier league was created.

However there was very little live football on TV - you just had MOTD on a Saturday night.

They always showed the FA Cup Final live - it was a big thing and coverage used to start early in the morning, showing the teams leaving the hotels, fans arriving at Wembley etc etc. My mum used to buy us each a bag of sweets for the day & we'd all sit there and watch everything!!

ITV used to have The Big Match on a Sunday, if I remember rightly. It wasn't a live game, just one that had been recorded from the day before.

Wouldn't it just be better for BBC to sell the full lot to sky then what you pay for tv licence gets you a basic package that just includes all the free to air channels that way everyone is a winner as we would get more for our money that we pay out for a tv licence :mrgreen:

Well we get very little for our tv licence nowadays anyway! :roll: :evil: I think it's a very outdated regulation. TBH I wouldn't care if they had adverts, if it meant we didn't have to pay for a licence!!!

Those people who don't have Sky/Cable/Freeview must be very much in the minority these days.

I don't want Sky so won't be getting it... Its lucky I'm not a big F1 fan.

I have a feeling Sky will buy everything in sight and soon normal TV will be as dull....... Oh hold on its already crap.

Out of interest as I didn't grow up in the UK, anyone know how it worked before Sky came along, was football ever shown live on a Saturday on the likes of BBC/ITV? or was it just the highlights in the evening?

Nor did I but football on tv basically consisted of Match of the Day on Saturday night and the FA Cup final. Not many other games were shown live on tv.

Since Sky took over the broadcasting rights English football has become dominant in European competition, more family orientated in the grounds and the Premier League is the most watched in the world.

I agree with Susie that the bigger clubs have got bigger and the smaller ones are struggling and I would like the richest of clubs to subsidise the smaller ones in some way. There are new rules coming out that will hopefully stop clubs spending millions just to become successful but operating at a huge loss. Success should come from years of hard work and development, not some rich Russian/Arab/American who can pour in bucket loads of cash for his new toy. There are too many clubs that pay out more in players and wages than they earn in sponsorship and gate receipts.

The key words you used there Dave were 'premier league'. There are very few other games shown on terrestrial TV, and as for bloody european competitions, don't get me started!!

I do applaud the BBC for the League Show, after MOTD on a Saturday night. If you support a non-premier league team it's the only chance you get to see your team play. I just wish they'd repeat it on a sunday morning like they do MOTD.

Back to the original post, I'm not a big F1 fan but it is another nail in the coffin of sport on terrestrial tv :evil:

I like F1, I'll wait to see what's shown on other

channels and how much it is for the F1 channel.

Surely the licence has to be scrapped soon!

If you've already got Sky you get it free with the HD pack, or sports pack.

I agree, its time the licence fee was scrapped. If I choose to have Sky I have to pay for it, the same as having a phone, internet etc etc. Why should I be forced to pay for a licence to fund the BBC if there is nothing on there that I want to watch? I rarely listen to BBC radio and the only tv programmes I watch are Topgear and football, I'm not really getting my monies worth and what makes it worse is that I HAVE to pay for it! :evil: