How bad is my exhaust?

Silverspring

I just noticed a crack in my exhaust (insert crude joke here) now the bike was MOT'd in December so I'm thinking the crack must be relatively new or not as bad as it looks? Either way, opinions on what's the best way to get it fixed ie could it be welded or do i need a whole new can? As always, I am clueless :mrgreen:

418712_10151290942520162_785825161_23110115_303587421_n.jpg.c5a6f0ec4468bd0686d1f8bb78356d86.jpg

402472_10151290940195162_785825161_23110104_113269545_n.jpg.478ccd3a1932bda9be6b57eb48dc35ad.jpg

Looks fooked to me mate. Is it all mild steel?. I can replace the worst bits with stainless and do you a new can. depends on cash and how long you wanna be off road??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the offer but you're a bit of a trek away from me! :( I have a friend who is a metal worker so will see if he can patch it a bit, I hadn't planned on keeping the bike for more than a year so a new can wasn't something I wanted to invest in! Might speak to the local garage and see how much it would cost to replace, might just keep the bike for a bit longer!

Exhausts rot from the inside usually, so if it has cracked in one place, you can try to repair it and then it will crack somewhere else fairly soon after. I would doubt your dealer will be able to repair it for more than a few weeks. It needs replacing with a new one or a stainless steel alternative. Your dealer will tell you that it has been repaired to save himself some money , but it won't last. I would demand a good replacement. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

To be fair to the dealer, he said it was made from mild steel so a replacement would be the only real option.

I asked if it would be a Honda part and he said they were extorionate and they use a company that make after market parts. They could also provide more branded exhausted systems like Akrapovic but he didn't think it would add much to the bike. The after market parts are stainless steel so he says it's not expensive and it will last longer.

It still hasn't really been agreed whether they will do it for free, take on part of the cost or expect me to pay. It was a bit of a 'Bring it up and we can have a chat' we'll see! I'm going up with my mate who's taking his blade, hoping bit of brand loyalty might sway their mood :mrgreen:

If they don't fit a standard can and the one they do fit is not as restrictive on flow as the standard can , you will need to adjust the fuelling on your bike. If it's carbed , it's a faff , if it's injected, it will possibly need a Power Commander. BEWARE!!!

All things metal can be cut , patched, refurbished etc.

If it was my Astra deisel with 250k miles on it it gets welded, patched, botched.

On the bike it needs replacing. Maybe a quick patch to keep you on the road till you find a good deal.

You may need to reduce the price drastically to sell it with a botched exhaust?

Stick a replacement on, shop around.

It'll sell better with a stainless, or better, system, looks loved :love:

If they don't fit a standard can and the one they do fit is not as restrictive on flow as the standard can , you will need to adjust the fuelling on your bike. If it's carbed , it's a faff , if it's injected, it will possibly need a Power Commander. BEWARE!!!

Thanks for the heads up, the mechanic looked well impressed when I asked if the fuelling would need to be adjusted for the new can :mrgreen:

So they replaced it with a stainless steel exhaust from the 99 model of my bike. It's the exact same size and shape etc so no fuelling issues it's just in stainless steel instead of black mild steel. They did it free of charge so I'm a happy bunny :mrgreen:

278609207_429168_10151303699350162_785825161_23153131_1644979878_n(1).jpg.6305b604f6df8628e57981bd0ae2ea34.jpg