no lube on chain

JonR

hey guys,

just a quick question, i was outside college the other day and with all the usual bikes there was a yzf125, this is one of my fave 125's so i naturally had a bit of a nosy at it. the first thing that caught my eye was the gold chain, on closer inspection the chain was not gold but dry as a bone and covered in rust....

i always carry a can of lube on me but didn't see the owner or really know how to broach the subject, or know if it would do more harm than good on the chain (it was really really rusty, never seen anything like it)

what can actually happen if the chain does not get any lube or oil on it. and should i broach the subject if i see him/her (probably him)

cheers

Worst case is it could snap.... :shock:

If the links are tight (as they almost certainly will be) it will chew up the sprockets, be noisy, loss of performance, etc.

If you feel uneasy confronting the rider maybe just leave a note on the bike suggesting that lubing the chain might be a very good idea..... :wink:

thanks for the reply, though as much could happen, not really fussed about saying something, just don't want to come across as rude. normally wouldn't bother saying anything about the state of someone else's property but thought this might be dangerous. especially if it broke going 60/70mph down the road!!!

I guess if you start conversation by admiring the bike, then "notice" the chain and maybe offer a quick spray of lube "just to stop it snapping or damaging the bike" I don't see how anyone would see that as rude. Good luck..... 8-)

The best case scenario is there will be excessive wear to moving parts and premature failure causing unnecessary expense.

The chain will eventually give up the ghost. It will either jump the sprocket or snap resulting in loss of propulsion and all the inconvenience that entails.

Worse case scenario is it whips round the riders foot as it snaps and chainsaws said foot off. Rare but not unheard of.

If you're carrying lube with your bike and the other rider appears, a quick word and an offer of a free squirt, easy with two of you and a small bike, may just save a life, a limb or a long walk home. 8-)

Act as if his bike is yours to any passer bys, and lube that chain good and propper. Leave a note saying "I lubed you up as I was worried you'd hurt yourself. Much love, your bikes secret admirer :love: