Beowulf slip-on - sublime to ridiculous!

XmisterIS

The OEM can on the SV is huge, heavy and makes the bike sound like a hairdryer.

(I've left myself open to abuse with that "hairdryer" statement haven't I ... :lol: )

So anyway, I swopped the old can out for a Beowulf slip-on ... and it went too far the other way!!! Actually, anti-socially loud - making pedestrians wince when I opened up the throttle, not to mention the fact that it actually hurt my ears too just sitting on the bike ... and that's with the baffle IN!! Other than that, it's actually a nice sound - just too loud.

In fact, there's not much difference between the loudness of the engine with no can at all and with the Beowulf.

So I put the standard can back on for the meantime because I think it's the lesser of two evils.

What can I do to make the beowulf can a bit quieter while still retaining the nice sound it makes? E.g. I love the rumbling and popping sound it makes during engine braking - that's very satisfying.

I'm thinking - new home-made baffle with more attenuation than the stock beowulf baffle?

I've got the Beowulf and yup it's loud but it's got a beautiful tone and if you ride around town keeping the revs low it's pretty silent. I save the noise for the open roads and for drivers that see me but don't see me.

It is a really lovely can, but I don't want something so loud that I have to remember not to open up the throttle when people are around!

It's been sitting at the back of the garage for about 8 months, I've watched a few youtube videos and done a little search on Google and I understand how baffling works now, so I think I'm going to drill out the rivets and see if I can modify the baffle with a washer and re-pack the thing with wire wool. Play around and see how it sounds.

I have a Falco (1000cc v twin, two cans) with mahoosively open cans in which the packing gave up the ghost ages ago. Whilst a LOT of fun, at 92db at idle it was a bit over the top. I got some of these (link below) and they have helped a lot, I still get the Rotax 60° V-Twin Thunder Rumble, but it's much softer at idle. Just get the right angle and dia.

DB Killer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAFFLE-DB-KIL ... 3f073fdfe6

Lovely! I've just ordered one. Seems a better solution than taking the can to bits (if it works!)

I do much prefer the sound of the Beowulf compared to the stock can, just wish the Beowulf wasn't quite so loud ... loud is good, but not that loud!

If the new baffle is too much, I can always drill it out a bit.

Exactly right. I'm very happy with mine, stainless, clean weld. I don't mind the look, maybe the casual Rozzer will see the baffle and move on (and not look at the faint "Race use only" that's not quite polished out :mrgreen:

I didn't have to do anything to mine, the deep bass is still there. It's like... before I was being hit in the ear drum with a 100 tonnes of rocks, now it's a 100 tonne douvet. And for the price, you canna go wrong... let us know how you get on!

Exactly right. I'm very happy with mine, stainless, clean weld. I don't mind the look, maybe the casual Rozzer will see the baffle and move on (and not look at the faint "Race use only" that's not quite polished out :mrgreen:

I didn't have to do anything to mine, the deep bass is still there. It's like... before I was being hit in the ear drum with a 100 tonnes of rocks, now it's a 100 tonne douvet. And for the price, you canna go wrong... let us know how you get on!

Absolutely perfect! The can has still got a lovely deep bass, no longer ear-splitting. I imagine that the extra back-pressure can only be good for the engine too. I'll see what it's like when I take it out on the road this eve.

Just took it out for a spin (of course, the rain came down as soon as I opened the front door and where it's not rained for ages, the roads were like an ice-rink) ...

Anyway, the baffle does make the exhaust a lot quieter (perhaps too quiet ... I may need to drill it out a bit), BUT one major difference is that with the stock beowulf baffle, I get all sorts of satisfying gurgling and popping sounds from the exhaust, but no longer with the bigger baffle ... why's that? Something to do with the added back-pressure?

"I imagine that the extra back-pressure can only be good for the engine too."

Just saying that back pressure ain't necessarily a good thing. If you get it wrong , it will strangle the engine and reduce power. I know a little bit about exhaust systems :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Absolutely perfect! The can has still got a lovely deep bass, no longer ear-splitting. I imagine that the extra back-pressure can only be good for the engine too. I'll see what it's like when I take it out on the road this eve.

Excellent :)

Thanks Chris, not saying that loud ain,t good either, just that too loud can mean not enough back pressure and less power.

Haha sorry bud wasn't calling you a boring old fart, was referring to the OP! :D

Maybe you just need time getting used to the extra noise?

Thanks Chris, not saying that loud ain,t good either, just that too loud can mean not enough back pressure and less power.

Haha sorry bud wasn't calling you a boring old fart, was referring to the OP! :D

Maybe you just need time getting used to the extra noise?

When it's taken a few dB's off my hearing you mean? :mrgreen: