first track day - advice please

dfrbrowne

HI,

I want to do my first track day and Oulton Park is quite close to me. Looking at booking on the easytrack website and booking into the rookie group. There is an additional option for Novice all day in depth for an extra £95 on top of the £125 fee for the day. Has anyone done this and is it good value to take the optional in depth?

Also reading through the dos and don't it look like the main thin I need to do is get a set of leathers, should I go for an all in one or a two piece? So far have just riden in textiles from HG.

They also talk about bringing spare levers etc, I really don't want to push it and chance dropping the bike, is it common to come off on a track day or are they just covering themselves.

Would really value your thoughts or experience on this. I have been riding a year now.

Thanks

Hi mate, I've done about 30 trackdays so hopefully I know a reasonable amount lol

Leathers - Makes no odds whether you use 1 or 2 piece, if you use a 2 piece they MUST be zip together or they won't let you out on track.

Spares - Never taken any myself, crashing can happen, depends on you, and the others on track so it's hard to say.

Extra tuition - If it seems good value for money then why not, do it. I've always found the instructors at most trackdays to be helpful and well worth speaking to, although most trackday organisers don't charge extra, but it may be that they give really full on tuition.

Oulton Park is a great circuit, when are you doing it? I assume your riding over? Take a reel of gaffer tape with you and tape up the indicator lenses and lights, if you do bin it it'll keep everything fairly held together. If you can manage a small tool kit then it might be better to take off the mirrors as you won't need them.

Don't look at the speedo while your on track, trust me it will distract you, best to stick some tape over it as its all too easy to want to glance down and see how fast you're going.

Other than that, drink plenty, make sure you eat something, but not too heavy and just enjoy the day, its an awesome feeling!

Paul.

Did my first track day last year at silverstone through 'Focused Events' and it was amazing.

I to went in to the 'novice' section but the level of riding was better than i anticipated. The guys in novice section had 5+ track days under their belts already.

Advice:

1. If you have access to a trailer or van use one! I rode there and back and was shattered at the end of the day. Also, if you do bin the bike, and rode there you are stuffed!

2. Take plenty of water and food to keep your energy levels up throughout the day. Preferably sports drinks and some energy bars as well and lunch.

3. You will need leathers and one piece or 2 piece is up to you. Personally i have 2 piece as i use leathers all year around and you have more flexability in terms of taking off the jacket etc. You will need to make sure the leahers have a zip that connects the 2 piece if you go that route and the zip must go 3/4 around the suite.

4. I would not bother with spare levers. if you bin the bike that will be the least of your concerns!

5. i didnt do tuition but I went with guys wjo are experianced so they gave me pointers.

6. If you can go with people then do as they will ahve tips, tools and advice to offer.

7. Make sure you at least take a tyre pressure guage as you need to deflate and reflate your tyres.

8. HAVE FUN and relax. Some people ride like mentalists but most are good spirited. Just dont go out all guns blazing. Take the first 2 lads (after sighting lap) to get the tyres warm and get used ot the track. You will naturally improve session by session as the day goes on.

Enjoy, take it easy and post pics once you have been :cheers:

Stu

Guest philgale

have a look here

I have lost count how many track days i have done, mostly with no limits and focused events

don't bother paying for the extra tuition, no offence to TD instructors but very few of them are qualified to actually coach and most are probably there just for the free track time :lol:

FE have some very good instructors and probably the best ones out there, if you really want tuition PM me and i will get a price from someone i know who is an ex california super bike school instructor so knows how to instruct.

IMO get a 1 piece, a 2 piece is only as strong as the zip, plus it has to zip all the way round not just a little one at the back.

I have crashed a few times, but if i rode the same on the road i would of crashed a hell of a lot more times and caused a lot more damage. you will crash if you push hard, just ride to your limits and you will be fine.

i know an FE instructor who does about 200 track days a year or something stupid like that and has only crashed twice in about 4 years and he is quick too.

Guest philgale
Excellent writeup PG.

I'm loosing my virginity this year, probably Donny as I like the track.

I hate donny, red gate is fooking shit....

craner is scary as tho

Excellent writeup PG.

craner is scary as tho

If your planning anything around June I'll join in.

Guest philgale
Excellent writeup PG.

craner is scary as tho

If your planning anything around June I'll join in.

Don't think I'm gonna get out at all this year, in fact we are selling 3 of our track bikes and just keeping one but may swap that for an enduro and just do some off roaring instead