Gilera Coguar - Starter motor keeps turning?

Inithra

Hi,

Having just passed the MOT, set up insurance and tax, we just drained the oil out of my Coguar (there was nearly 5 litres of the stuff in there!) put 1 litre of new oil in, and my brother took it for a spin.

When he got back, he decided to see if it would start while in gear - as previously it hadn't - and if it would pull away with the stand down. It stalled, but the starter motor kept on spinning. Now, unless you disconnect the battery, it constantly spins, even with the ignition off and the key taken out! The kill switch turns the engine off, but not the starter motor.

I've tried looking online, but as it's not that popular a bike, there doesn't seem to be much information out there.

Anyone know anything about this specific bike, or this problem in general?

Sounds like your starter motor relay has stuck. Maybe the contacts have welded together. I don't know this bike....but it should be easy enough to find where it is.....basically follow the heavy wire from the Starter motor back towards the battery....and the relay should be there.

Yeah, we suspected the relay to be the cause, either that or an exposed/earthed wire. Will be going over it with an electrical tester and have ordered a replacement relay. Only cost £7, hopefully should do it. Have had the bike 3 months and not ridden it yet. Did buy it as a project and only been working on it when I'm not at work though..

Being a coguar owner myself I've heard of couple of people having trouble with the starter motor,luckily I never did,anyhow if you ever need bits and pieces Google ''bob wright'' he's you man,I've bought a fair amount of parts off him for my bike,he's a lovely chap to deal with.

Yeah, I've had an exhaust silencer, fork seals, rear brake shoes and some wheel bearing from Bob Wright, aside fron getting mine and another customers details confused because we both placed orders for similar things on the same day he has been great.

Turned out it was the relay, the previous owner had already placed it once, but rather than do it properly he bought a new one, with 6 inches of wires attached, and spliced those onto the existing wires then taped them up. Someone had also soldered the live wire directly to the live "pin" on the relay itself.

All is working now, and I've actually been able to ride it to work and back, after ~3 months!