Insurance/silencers

GazW

The original silencers on my bike have seen better days, Delkavic do a 2 into 2 full stainless system for £365 or silencers only for £229 couple of questions? Kawasaki's jama originals are £390 for cans alone

1) my downpipes aren't in bad nick, they appear to have been replaced in comparison with the cans as the bellypan opening would chuck salt/grit/crap straight at them. Would there be any noticeable benefit from the stainless down pipes or could I just tidy the downpipes with a lick of heat paint and use the delkavic's

2) Will I have to rejet and balance my carbs with the delkavic's

3) I just spoke to my insurance, they said a like for like swap wouldnt require their notification but 'performance' upgrades will, and could carry a premium increase. What denotes a performance upgrade, would a dyno before and after suffice or should I just pay what they want. Does anyone have a rough idea what this tends to add to a policy (anyone changed cans mid policy and incurred a charge)

If your pipes are ok clean them up and get some cans

You will probably find it will run fine and may not need a rejet the only way to know for sure is fit them and have it on a dyno to see how the fueling is a carb balance has nothing to do with the cans a balance should be done as regular servicing requirements

As for the insurance I know someone who added a shed load of performance mods and it put it up less then a tenner!

Cheers! Credit card could be taking a battering then, girlfriend didn't take too kindly to my offer of both dipping into our savings..

The carb balance; do they just knock themselves out of sync or would you notice an issue before hand? I saw a rather crude rig posted on another forum consisting of some clear hose filled with water and mounted on a board then hooked up to the carbs on the vacuum holes, would this be effective or should I just pay for either the correct tool or a garage to do it. Would there be enough fuel in the float bowl after removing the tank or would you have to hook up some sort of temporary tank?

The way of clear tube and water is actually really accurate a lot of the tl guys use them although for 40 quid you can buy a set of 4 gauges and they are easy to use

They just go out over time and you would have to rig up some sort of fuel supply