Sumsung vs. HTC vs. iPhone?

XmisterIS

I'm still using an old-style mobile phone and I know I can get a tablet phone on my contract ... but which one?

I'm tempted by the HTC because it seems the most lightweight; but can you get a tank mount for it to use as a satnav? And what's the OS like in comparison to an iPhone (hideously expensive) or a samsung (seems heavy)?

Anyone got an htc?

Guest Hodgy

I've got a HTC Wildfire S, I've not used an iphone or any of the new Samsungs, but I really like the HTC and would get another without hesitation if this one was lost or broke.

The only downside is the battery life, but I expect that will be the same with all smart phones as they do so much :?:

I have an Iphone, its a crap phone but and amazing hand held computer... a colleague of mine has a Nokia Lumia, thats pretty amazing.

I'll probably go for another Iphone next as i'm use to the apple systems.

I have an HTC Wildfire, but a slightly older version (got it 18months ago).

I also have no experience of the other phones you mention, but I'm quite happy with this one - it does everything I need it to do. Agree that the battery life doesn't last long but don't expect more really.

I'm still using an old-style mobile phone and I know I can get a tablet phone on my contract ... but which one?

I'm tempted by the HTC because it seems the most lightweight; but can you get a tank mount for it to use as a satnav? And what's the OS like in comparison to an iPhone (hideously expensive) or a samsung (seems heavy)?

Anyone got an htc?

I've had the HTC Desire S for over a year and it's pretty impressive. I've never had an iphone however I've played around with one and they are pretty similar.

Where the comparison usually ends up is the apps and the availability from Apple to Android. Apple have always been the leader; until recently. Android apps are fastly coming up the ranks and compared to apple's - you can get them for free - if you know where to look :)

Biggest problem with any "app hungry phone" is battery life & network coverage. I'm with 02 and I cannot get 3g so i have to use wireless, not a major problem in itself - except it drains your battery. Of course you don't need to use your phone for the internet - but hey that's what it's there for :) "3 network" have a really good 3g coverage, Vodaphone/02/other are about the same.

Power wise, you can disable 90% of your apps and keep the battery longer - but as long as you're near a PC or power outlet, it's no major issue.

Look's, feel, add on's & apps make the phone, that's why i went with HTC over Apple.

Good luck

Lee

I have the desire HD its a great phone but the battery life is crap

If you can wait there is a range of new phones coming out soon with new processors which are really good with power management there's even a quad core due out from HTC!

The operating system on mine is great its fast there's no lag the satnav is great too but it eats the battery

Hi,

I used to use one of the first HTCs that came out - the Hero. I loved it, but the thing that grated on me was the software updates. HTC and Orange just stopped doing software updates after a while so it started to lag, badly. I did a hard reset (or whatever you call it) and completely wiped it but it didn't really help.

I often found that because the software wasn't updated, a lot of apps didn't work as well or I just plain couldn't use them because they were designed for a later version of Android. V. frustrating. At the time, there was a major lag between apps being available for iphones, and apps available for android and very often the functionality was completely different. In that Android apps didn't work! Could have just been my phone, but lack of support only one year in was v. disappointing

Things I liked about HTC/Android - integration between contacts and Facebook: if you want, you get people's facebook profile pictures as their contact icon on the phone. Not a necessary, but quite amusing. You can also manage everything from someone's contact page, which in turn is largely managed by gmail, if you're a gmail user, or willing to become one. Also means you never lose your contacts ;)

Googlemaps Navigation - REALLY miss this. Free app and pretty damn good!

Widgets - really interesting and minimises swipes to get at information.

I came to upgrade last December and was torn, I did have an issue with lack of software updates and don't know if it's still the case that software updates just stop. I also fancied trying an iPhone. I definitely wanted to switch networks - Orange suck in my area.

Went for the iPhone in the end and yes, I really like it. Battery will be an issue for many phones for a while, but I managed to get a 4s which is better equipped processor-wise apparently so I've not really had an issue unless I've been makign constant calls. I work in an office so charging it isn't really an issue during the day.

Things I like about the iPhone: it just works! It's easy, apps work, I know the software updates aren't going to just stop and leave me with a useless handset which can barely make calls.

It's also a fairly robust handset. I dropped it off my kitchen worktop the other day and it didn't break (yay!) although I've heard some people have broken the glass on their iphones.

You can get navigators on iPhones, think TomTom is £30-odd.

As for the phones themselves - people report that Samsung phones are plasticy and a bit lightweight whereas I like the weight and feel of HTC phones and iPhones.

I've never used Windows phones but my friend has one and that seems laggy tbh.

You can get generic strap-on (oo-er) mounts for satnavs to go on the handlebars.

I use an iPhone, If you choose to jailbreak it you can get apps for free. (I asked in the apple store and this only voids your software warranty whilest it's jailbroken. Hardware is still covered, as is the software if you factory reset) I was on 3 about 8 or 9 years ago and it was horrific, no coverage anywhere. Luckily it was only pay as you go so I just got rid. I went back to o2 and swore never to use anyone else, that changed with my last 24 month contract. No bill was ever what it should have been, always a few quid over.

3's prices caught my eye in November of last year when I decided to sod o2 off, I checked the network coverage via their website and it showed full coverage in my area, so decided to order a phone off them, thinking I could use their network coverage map as an excuse to back out of the contract if coverage was crap. I am pleasantly surprised, I have never had any issues. Haven't gone over a bill yet, and the only time I didn't have signal was whilest on a weekend away in Llangollen, neither did my misses who's on o2.

£25 a month for 1gb of net, 5000 texts and 500 minutes. With a free handset. When the 5 comes out I'll just demand the handset free as an upgrade or take my business elsewhere

I have a galaxy s2 seriously it weighs nothing also all the reviews I read rated it the best, my wife and a mate of mine have I phones and this imo just looks better.

It really does must boil down to which OS you want tho.

£25 a month for 1gb of net, 5000 texts and 500 minutes. With a free handset. When the 5 comes out I'll just demand the handset free as an upgrade or take my business elsewhere

if you have only just gone with 3 and your expecting the iphone 5 for free dont hold your breath it doesnt mean they wont do you a deal though but the longer you have been with them the better

i have been with 3 for 8 years i have unlimited internet unlimited texts 2000 minutes plus 5000 3 to 3 minutes on an 18 month contract with a free htc desire HD for £25

dont demand off them they will just tell you where to go ive seen it happen but if you ask them and say things like thats a bit too much for you etc they might just give you it

i only got the desire HD as it was the best phone they did at the time they offered me the top Iphone for free but didnt want it! i dont do Iphone

to the OP i would decide what OS you want first Iphone or android then pick your phone the latest android phones all use the same software so theres not a lot of difference the nest choice would be spec of the phone

Another HTC Wildfire S here, infinitely smaller and lighter than the iBrick. TBH if you just want a new(ish) phone that does all the usuals, with internet, sat-nav etc, the HTC is a winner. iPhone does the same for an extra 300-odd quid. :roll:

Although I've heard nothing but good things about the Galaxy S2...

Ive got an HTC Desire....about 1 year old now. It's a good phone and I use it in the car for music and the satnav (Google Maps). Internet is ok and the mobile version of TMBF is great. Battery life is not brilliant....it's OK in the car as i have an HTC Screen mount with a decent charger.

On the bike I have a Hein Gericke magnetic tank bag thingy. It's not a full size jobbie....maybe if you check out some of my Challenge 100 pictures you can see it on the tank. But it's got a zipped pouch on the top with a clear window so I can put the phone in there to use the satnav on the bike. It's a bit out of normal sight line......so gotta look down at it while riding....but a quick glance every now and then is OK.....and I guess I could use a bluetooth kit with my lid and listen to the instructions....but I can't be *rsed. It works OK....but if I wanted to use it on longer runs I would probably have to rig up a cigar lighter somewhere on the bike and trail a lead to charge it. The tank bag thingy also has pockets that I put my wallet, keys, visor cleaning kit and a few other bits and pieces......I bought it at the Birmingham bike show last year for £15 or thereabouts.

i havea samsung galaxy mini, on contract, is lees than i paid for my nokia6,,,,,,,,summat, 1 gig t'internet included, calls, texts tra-la-la, morethan i use,

and

ita a belter for t'internet,

especially as some ( ???) 'mobile sites are better than others ?? :P ,,, but , only downside is battery use :evil:

I think the Galaxy S2 takes some beating for the all-round best phone, but for me it was a bit thin and big and I could see me sitting on it or something, not to mention the cost ... :roll:

I ended up with an iPhone 4 as I have a Mac computer and it just made more sense, didn't go for the 4s as I couldn't justify the extra £150. It is fine except can be a bit slow on the net, and battery life just depends on what apps you use - mine lasts about 3 days. However if you charge each night it's not an issue, unless you are somewhere you can't charge it!

Some of my friends have had the HTC phones and rate them well, just depends on personal taste I suppose. I've also never had an issue with Orange, I find good connection most places.

HTC desire HD here, fantastic phone!

Battery life granted is naff, so I just an app to help that "juicedefender" or something and always stick it on charge at night. If im going out drinking (which i usually am) stick it on charge when you get home and take it off when you leave means no dead battery mid-drinking session! Although tbf if its on standby then it usually lasts two days at a push.

Would never get an Iphone. Just waiting on the new generation of phones to release and hope this ties in with the time I can upgrade.

I'm an iphone-ist. The phone itself is great, easy to use, relatively easy to set up (for some reason my work e-mail has to have it's outgoing through Vodafone's smtp server, I never worked out why but it works so I'm not asking), easy to get apps...

Battery life's OK depending what you do, the screen sucks battery like nothing else so it's short if you fiddle with it all day. However, leaving it alone in my pocket all day, even with WiFi connected to the work network, can be less than 5% battery. I have a brilliant charger/cradle in the car for it which it sits in whenever I'm in the car and it's plugged into my computer all evening so I never really let it get low battery unless I'm away for the weekend and it can last Friday night to Sunday afternoon no problems as long as I'm sensible.

There's loads of SatNav options for it. It comes with Googlemaps installed but while it will give you a list of instructions it doesn't follow you along and read them out. I have Navigon which is absolutely solid, no complaints at all.

iTunes however is a steaming pile. It took me about a month to beat it into submission so it doesn't touch anything, move anything, try and organise anything for me. If it's open and I put in a blank CD then it jumps in deciding you can't possibly want to do anything else with that blank CD. It opens itself when I plug my phone in, I let it sync, and then close it again so it doesn't get in the way :)