Tools

dragolith

Ok, so if I am going to tinker with my bike and POSSIBLY work up to doing a 16k service, can anybody help identify exactly which tools I will need?

Are there certain brands I should go for? Are cheap tools a good idea or not?

Im going to start small (indicator, oil change, fluids, levers) - if I gain confidence, I might try more advanced stuff.

But I'm scared of doing something wrong and ruining my baby... :|

Halfords tools are good value, lidl and aldi are very cheap. Buy a good 3/8 socket set, combi and cranked ring spanners, Allen keys, screwdrivers, torque wrench, pliers, mole grips, brushes, a hammer, drill and a workmate.

Halfords tools are good value, lidl and aldi are very cheap. Buy a good 3/8 socket set, combi and cranked ring spanners, Allen keys, screwdrivers, torque wrench, pliers, mole grips, brushes, a hammer, drill and a workmate.

+1 plus a C-clamp for pads (I learned that the hard way)

Other things - cleaning products for when you get oil all over the bike, an old rag and a jar to put nuts and bolts in

As minimum tools, you may get away with not having a hammer (you can improvise), brushes, drill and torque wrench (as long as you aren't doing an oil change) out of that list

No budget as yet, but I have low outgoings so I can spend a lot if it's going to be of benefit.

I am a complete noob to picking up a spanner. Im fine checking stuff, but not removing/installing etc.

I need a list of all the tools, and to sit down in front of Ebay and Halfords and price it all up, I imagine I will be gathering a lot of stuff over the coming weeks.

I also imagine me and the swear jar I do not own won't be getting on. :twisted:

Thank you all for the help, I WILL be asking for more though, please be kind :lol:

I got my first Haynes though!

Try machine mart look out for their pro tool range with lifetime warrantee I use a lot of their stuff and its good I have a lot of halfords too same again look for the pro range

You will need two sets of combination spanners so you have two of of each size one for each side of the nut and bolt a decent set of Allen keys a good socket set screwdrivers feeler gauges pliers oil filter removal tools

The list could go on forever

The only 'decent' tools you will really need are sockets & spanners, as generally they will get the most stressed (abused! :lol: ) when you're using them. so spend a bit more on these, trust me, you won't regret that!.

As the others have said, Halfords pro stuff is pretty good & I have a few bits of theirs to double up on my snap-on gear.

Other things like screwdrivers, pliers etc just get from aldi/lidl.

P.S. maplin do some good quality & pretty cheap multimeters for testing electrical stuff.

Screwfix do some decent tools too....... 8-)

I've got 2 Halfords socket sets....large and small....and both have lasted really well. Draper Torque wrench......which has more than earned its keep. Decent Allen keys mate.......I got some from Screwfix and they're made from the same material as screwdriver bits....use them for work and they are really good.

I don't believe in cheap screwdrivers either.....I have a couple of Teng Philips point drivers....one of them is a big f*ck-off b'stard and I've not found a screw yet that this won't budge..... :twisted:

But to be honest I think if it's just routine servicing you're gonna start off doing....then a decent socket set (or 2 different sizes), Torque wrench and decent allen key set will cover most jobs....then a few specific tools like Plug Socket, Front wheel spindle socket/allen socket, rear wheel spindle socket or ring spanner and see how you go..... :wink:

Maybe a grease gun if your bike has grease nipples on the suspension linkages......and one of those oil collection bowls for catching the old oil.