Keeps cutting out while I’m riding

GarethNW

I have recently serviced my bike with a new oil change and oil filter. Plugs and air filter changed the time before. The bike feels much better after this work but last week it felt like it was running out of fuel for about 20 secs and then it went back to being fine.

Happened again after about another 100 miles (I do 50 a day so pretty much two days goes by and it hits me again)

This morning it happened and it felt as if id run out of fuel but to the point it didn’t recover, just stopped after about half a mile.

I left the bike for 5 mins and then tried again, The engine was warm at this point as id done around 20 miles and should of started with no choke but it would not. I applied 60% choke and bam she starts up fine, after a few revs I kill the choke and continued my journey with no issues at all.

What should I pull apart first?

I have some ideas as to what this may be but prefer some pointers from you guys. The bike seemed starved of fuel.

Thank you in advance

Guest Hodgy

Did you take the fuel tank off? You might of kinked a fuel pipe when you replaced it, restricting the fuel flow, check all hoses, including the vacuum hose to the tap if there is one :thumb:

If you have replaced the air filter, check it is the correct one for the bike?

If its not that and you havent snagged a fuel line, then checking the fuel filter may be worth a try.

Does it happen at certain revs?

Ahhh, for a good while now when I get home I can hear pressure coming from the tank (almost a whistle as its sucking air in) and I open the fuel cap and I do hear a wosh as the air goes in! didn’t know that was an issue?

Guest Hodgy

That sounds like your problem then :)

There should be a breather pipe, perhaps this is blocked or trapped?

A nice cheap fix though, excellent :)

I used to fly Model Airplanes and they had the same thing, Should of guessed that one tbh.

The plot however thickens.

I found the breather in my dinner and it seems to be resting on the back tire (ive moved it to a more open place now)

Basically the tire had been rubbing on the pipe and it was worn so that there was no gap at all. The hole was flush with the tire. Could that be enough to cut it out? Cant be good in regards to dragging dust and particals into the fuel tank!

Well I half expexted not to be able to blow down the pipe if the tank is shut but it did, also it allowed me to blow down it open ofc.

That could just be the overflow you will be able to blow through it as it doesn't actually go in the tank

Some breathers are in the centre through the key hole lift the cap and there might be a hole in the centre

Used the bag for over a year, pritty much dont ride without the tank bag.

Found this on a kawa forum about my year of 636

I ve noticed when turning off the bike after a ride, there seems to be a whistling sound

sweet i'm not the only one that has that happening to..

if that vent hose from the cap to the spill pan is blocked you could get a vapor lock and it will cause your bike to stall out after riding for a while.

But if it happens on the way home I can just open my cap a tad and then check the manuals for where the dam thing is.

If it happens on the way home open the tank then close it it will take a few turns to start as the carbs will be dry but if you have to wait for 20 mins or so like last time I don't think that the breather is the problem

Didn’t happen last night or this morning but on the way to my second school for the day it died on the duel carriage way. Same thing it’s just as if its ran out of fuel.

Immediately I opened the fuel tank and there was no sound (woosh) and the bike would not start at all. The occasional fire but for a point of second and then back to nothing.

Waited 5 mins and it started first time and was fine for the next 20 mins which is when I arrived at work and turned her off

Need to spend some time looking at how the breather works on my bike. Wacthed a couple of youtube vids on how to change the air filter and there was just the tank with the fule and tap to the engine and then one pipe leading out the back for the overflow and some coments about the breather being part of the filler cap!

No other tubes

Is the breather attached to the air filter housing? looks like that in the haynes manual.

Died on the way home, It always does it after about 20 mins, This time i opened the choke and got some fuel into it and it started and revved fairly high due to the choke but as soon as i turned the choke off it died.

I would of thought that with tank open and once started it would keep running as fuel would now be in the engine

Never known them to be on the air box

No it won't always keep running if the carbs are dry they need to fill up with fuel first with the choke on it will choke the air supply and it will run on very little fuel

Is there any pipes on the bottom of the tank? Sometimes they are on the bottom and run inside the tank to the top

So it was fine today but I rode the bike with the fuel cap open a tiny bit and covered to stop any bits getting into the tank and it didn’t fail. I still need to ride a bit more to be sure.

Ordered a new air filter today so I can fit that on the weekend but the Kawasaki garage told me that the breather was the pipe that comes out just under the driver’s seat and I really thought that was the over flow and is not blocked.

I am right in saying that if it dies with the fuel cap open a half inch then it’s not the breather issue?

Also if the overflow is part of the tank how come the pressure doesn’t escape down the overflow?