Getting my head around this..!

Guest Plankzt

Afternoon :)

Just trying to understand the test procedure a bit more. I want to get on 2 wheels now, I'm 20 years old, and turn 21 in July. I understand I can't do a 'DAS' until I'm 21, however can I not just take a week off work, do a CBT, train for, and take my mod 1 & 2, then ride below the 33 bhp restriction? I really want to get it done before summer if possible, and definitely before shit goes sour in January.

It also seems a bit weird to me that learning to ride a bike takes such little time, as I spent agonising months doing reversing round corners in a cage.

I plan on getting a 250 anyway so power restriction really isn't an issue for me, I'm just wondering if I can do it this route?

Fed up of lugging 4 empty seats around me and getting 30 to the gallon.

Hope you can help, sorry if this is a bit of an obvious question.

Josh.

Just trying to understand the test procedure a bit more. I want to get on 2 wheels now, I'm 20 years old, and turn 21 in July. I understand I can't do a 'DAS' until I'm 21, however can I not just take a week off work, do a CBT, train for, and take my mod 1 & 2, then ride below the 33 bhp restriction? if you want to do it that way, you can, but you would be restricted for 2 years. Personally I would wait till July and do the DAS I really want to get it done before summer if possible, and definitely before shit goes sour in January.

It also seems a bit weird to me that learning to ride a bike takes such little time, as I spent agonising months doing reversing round corners in a cage.cage takes around 20 hours on average I believe I read somewhere. You do an hour here and there and eventually do 20 hours worth. With a bike (rememering back from when I did my CBT and talking to the instructor) you do a two or three day course starting at 9 and finishing at 4(?), so thats 7 x 3 days = 21 hours. They may not be the correct numbers, but you get the idea. Car and bike lessons end up at roughly the same amount of hours I believe

I plan on getting a 250 anyway so power restriction really isn't an issue for me, I'm just wondering if I can do it this route? you can do your A2 restricted licence at any age and you can ride the 250, as long as it under 33bhp, or wait and do your DAS in july

Josh.

hope that helps a bit

Just trying to understand the test procedure a bit more. I want to get on 2 wheels now, I'm 20 years old, and turn 21 in July. I understand I can't do a 'DAS' until I'm 21, however can I not just take a week off work, do a CBT, train for, and take my mod 1 & 2, then ride below the 33 bhp restriction? if you want to do it that way, you can, but you would be restricted for 2 years. Personally I would wait till July and do the DAS I really want to get it done before summer if possible, and definitely before shit goes sour in January.

It also seems a bit weird to me that learning to ride a bike takes such little time, as I spent agonising months doing reversing round corners in a cage.cage takes around 20 hours on average I believe I read somewhere. You do an hour here and there and eventually do 20 hours worth. With a bike (rememering back from when I did my CBT and talking to the instructor) you do a two or three day course starting at 9 and finishing at 4(?), so thats 7 x 3 days = 21 hours. They may not be the correct numbers, but you get the idea. Car and bike lessons end up at roughly the same amount of hours I believe

I plan on getting a 250 anyway so power restriction really isn't an issue for me, I'm just wondering if I can do it this route? you can do your A2 restricted licence at any age and you can ride the 250, as long as it under 33bhp, or wait and do your DAS in july

Josh.

hope that helps a bit

Cheers man appreciate it.

Are they 2 different licenses then? Am I incorrect in thinking that I can ride any type of bike after 21 regardless of when I got the A2 restricted license, or will I have to wait 2 years until I'm 22/23?

Hope this makes sense.

Are they 2 different licenses then? Am I incorrect in thinking that I can ride any type of bike after 21 regardless of when I got the A2 restricted license, or will I have to wait 2 years until I'm 22/23?

Hope this makes sense.

No, if you pass your test on a 125 you will be restricted to 33bhp for two years regardless of your age.

For the sake of a few months I'd wait!

:cheers:

Hope this makes sense.

Noyes (you are incorrect in thinking) :P, if you pass your test on a 125 you will be restricted to 33bhp for two years regardless of your age.

For the sake of a few months I'd wait!

:cheers:

Haha sorry :P

Hmm I'm a bit torn about what to do then, the restriction isn't that big of a deal surely? Even if I do decide for something a bit bigger I can put a limiter on it for the time being..? Can't see me getting a new bike every 2 years..

Is there any other glaringly obvious reason I shouldn't just do it now?

Cheers!

Hmm I'm a bit torn about what to do then, the restriction isn't that big of a deal surely? Even if I do decide for something a bit bigger I can put a limiter on it for the time being..? Can't see me getting a new bike every 2 years..

Cheers!

power is the only reason. When I went from a scooter to a geared 125 I noticed the power difference and didnt think I would ever want more power. A few months later I was bored of it and wanted more power (obviously). Now I am set to get on a 33bhp bike and I know for the first few months it is going to feel like I am on a rocket, but I am most likely going to get fed up as many people on restricted licences do and want more power before their restriction is up.

Personally I would wait a few months and do your DAS, but it is entirely up to you. I think power is the only benifit in having that type of licence over the other

Cheers!

power is the only reason. When I went from a scooter to a geared 125 I noticed the power difference and didnt think I would ever want more power. A few months later I was bored of it and wanted more power (obviously). Now I am set to get on a 33bhp bike and I know for the first few months it is going to feel like I am on a rocket, but I am most likely going to get fed up as many people on restricted licences do and want more power before their restriction is up.

Personally I would wait a few months and do your DAS, but it is entirely up to you. I think power is the only benifit in having that type of licence over the other

Think I might just up and do it now, I cant' be arsed driving around in a car anymore, the weathers nice, and I have some money.

Appreciate the help mate!

Hopefully my next post will be about my nice shiney bike.

Either way, i'm still right :booty:

cant argue with that

Think I might just up and do it now, I cant' be arsed driving around in a car anymore, the weathers nice, and I have some money.

Appreciate the help mate!

Hopefully my next post will be about my nice shiney bike.

Well if you (like many, including me) need any extra help/advise with the training/bike. Maybe something your unsure about that your instructor didn't fully explain or want to know what the best type of bike is then feel free to ask. If you ask about bikes you will probably get directed to a post that has already been made on the forum or be told to use the search bar, but if you need a bike with specific characteristics then ask away and someone may be able to help