passing practical test

Hi All,

I have passed my CBT and have booked my theory test soon.

Following that I want to do my exam on a 125cc bike thus to pass my a2 restricted test. I am 25 and should be able to move onto the das but i don't know if I can hire a bike for the test only and not pay for the full 5 day or .. course.

anyways, my main questions are around the practical test and what it involves. I have read that it has two part mod 1 and 2.

mod 1 is offroad and mod 2 is on road.

I appreciate any advise on what are the critical/important things to do. for example coming from car, I frequently see the theory test mentioning that i need to take a final life saver look which is a look over the shoulders before turning to the intended direction.

For me this was not very obvious and may have not done it. what else is a must and what the examiner will base your exam on?. obviously the ability to ride is required but what i am really asking is what are the other things and alikes of life saver look that you should do

for instance i was reading the theory test and it mentioned in order to notify the pedestrian on a zebra crossing that you intend to step you will move your right arm which is strange for me. do you not normally flash ( i know this may not be legal for the test but so moving and waving the right arm)

thanks

have a hunt on you tube. theres stacks of vids on both parts of the test. I'm hoping to sit mine in the next month or so, having a couple of lessons with the local training place then use their bike for the tests

TAKE SOME LESSONS ..there is no substitute for proper training whatever size bike you go for, you can spread it out with an hour or 2 a week if you dont wan t the expense/inconvenience of an intensive course..

oh, and the lifesaver is an essential safety check , and you should be doing it automatically to keep you alive... not just to pass the test

I'd also say have at least one lesson before each test to see what is required of you. It was invaluable to me before I took my tests as I just rode around on my own for six months for to build confidence and get experience. But was aware I might have picked up bad habits so having an instructor tell you what your weak points are is very useful. I had 2 lessons before the Mod 1 and another lesson before Mod 2.

With the Mod 2 the examiner wants to see you are a safe and competent rider on the road. Lifesavers are a must (and always are - I might have been a permanent fixture on a VW Golf recently if I hadn't used one! :shock: ), other things to think about are:

not speeding

keeping up with the traffic flow and riding at the speed limit where safe to do so (you can get penalties for being too slow/cautious)

use of indicators and importantly cancelling them - you can fail on this

proper observation of all road signs/signals

correct positioning at junctions/roundabouts

always being aware of what other road users are doing

basically the things you would do in a car (assuming you can drive one!)

I think that you can accrue 10 minors before you fail, but if you have 1 major it's an instant fail. So for instance if you missed a lifesaver it wouldn't necessarily mean a fail, but would depend on the circumstances and if it made your manouevre dangerous. I missed 3 and still passed! You can still fail parking up your bike back in the test centre so just be aware of everything you should be doing, until you have actually got off your bike.

for instance i was reading the theory test and it mentioned in order to notify the pedestrian on a zebra crossing that you intend to step you will move your right arm

So if you plan to stop and let a pedestrian cross you lift your right hand off the throttle and away from the front brake lever?? :shock:

Sounds like a sure fire way to crash to me, but I guess at least you would have stopped.. 8-)

Get some lessons before you become a statistic.

I have to ask though, why do you want to pass on a 125 and be restricted for two years?

thanks for all posts

to answer some of the questions

@Big Stu, I have but there is quite a bit into it. it just shows you a brief overview of mod 1 and 2

@littlecat, i am happy to do that but then considering that I have a bike and can practice on it make me think do i really need an instructor, I am looking for an online source where it can give you a detailed overview of what is required so I don't have to get a instructor and just practice on my bike by having those points in minde

@Remy, very good info, how much did you pay per hour for the training? i may do it, i don't know

@davefly76, that is what the theory test said. to answer the 2nd question, i am trying to avoid further cost. my bike will be brand new so may keep it at least for 2 year and thus getting trained on a bigger bike size to learn how to control it and then take the exam can be little expense.

i appreciate if you know any source or book that will give u all infos on dos and don't for the exam and what technical stuff u need to know about the bike. i remember i was asked few technical question about car such as where is the brake fluid container and ...

thanks for all posts

to answer some of the questions

@Big Stu, I have but there is quite a bit into it. it just shows you a brief overview of mod 1 and 2

@littlecat, i am happy to do that but then considering that I have a bike and can practice on it make me think do i really need an instructor, I am looking for an online source where it can give you a detailed overview of what is required so I don't have to get a instructor and just practice on my bike by having those points in minde

@Remy, very good info, how much did you pay per hour for the training? i may do it, i don't know

@davefly76, that is what the theory test said. to answer the 2nd question, i am trying to avoid further cost. my bike will be brand new so may keep it at least for 2 year and thus getting trained on a bigger bike size to learn how to control it and then take the exam can be little expense.

i appreciate if you know any source or book that will give u all infos on dos and don't for the exam and what technical stuff u need to know about the bike. i remember i was asked few technical question about car such as where is the brake fluid container and ...

Regarding pedestrian crossings.. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070339

What bike are you getting? The cost of doing the tests isn't any different whether you do it on a 125 or a 1000. By doing it on a 125 you are limiting the amount of brand new bikes available to you and if you do get a bigger bike you will have to consider the cost of having it restricted.

You can learn all you like by reading manuals and guides on how to pass a test but that doesn't make you a good, or safe rider. An instructor will be able to tell you where you are doing things wrong and can determine how safe a rider you are.

do i really need an instructor,

1 in 10 newly qualified riders are dead or seriously injured in their first year after passing their test.

Making sure that you access proper training just might make the difference and keep you in the 90% instead of the 10%, particularly as the experience of others shows quite clearly that training is fundamental to keeping you safe on the roads.

Some people pass the test without any training (other than CBT). Statistically, they are more likely to join the 10%.

In my view, the answer to your question is obvious :wink:

thanks all

i am taking the exam on a 125 sym

i don't think i will be joining the 10% if i ride carefully. i have got the DVLA guide to ride which explains what is required and what do you have to do which i believe tells you alot.

i got the book after searching on the internet. I am also planning to get the essential riding skills from DVLA which is another good resource.

they are like an instructor in my view and if i use what they teach and sense of danger and what is not good then i should be fine

thanks for the advice though