Kawasaki ER5 A3

Comrade

First big bike. As most will notice its seen at many riding schools and with good reason very easy to ride and mechanically bomb proof.

My feelings are its a very sensible bike for anyone on A2 licence , it will need restricting but going form 50 bhp to 33bhp the power / weight ratio is still very good. If your used to 125cc then this will feel like a missile, you get nice acceleration in every gear until you hit 5/6 but this bike is mid range grunt not top end.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt135/dingosteve/11032012519.jpg

Now theres plenty of bits of tat for these on ebay and such and they have a nice following so parts are plenty. Things i recommend are flyscreen to help deal with SOME of the wind on motorways and sliders because the engine is very exposed.

Good Points:

Nice bike to cut your teeth on

Very forgiven

Nice example of modern version of naked bike , not streetfighter

cheap as chips

Fuel gauge!

Cheap thrills but...( see bad points )

Bad Points:

You must take care of it, they will rust!

brakes are a bit dire but your not racing Rossi are you?

*Will not set your world ablaze*

Basic

All in all it is what it is, a simple budget bike that offers you no promises other than reliability and cheap smiles. Lets face it, thats what we all want!

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about purchasing Kawasaki ER5 A3. It is pre-owned though so I'm a bit scared of making the final decision. I think it is too old... Any suggestions?

yea look for rust, if its rusty in places its a good chance its rotting! these bikes rot if not cared for. Gearboxes are clunky so expect it make a bit of a clunk but still should change gear easily