Nervous? and remedy?

Guest jarv8185

I am about to begin my bike lessons, and the one thing everyone can associate with is how nervous we can be when we are in tests, wether it be car or bike.

I myself was very nervous when sitting my car test to the point I took my instructor with me to help combat my nerve, this worked and I passed, as this cannot be done with motorbike tests, I thought it would be a good idea to see what YOU done to passify youre nerve? :shock:

I can guarentee I will be nervous when I sit my Mod 1 and Mod 2, when I get that far and thought some advice may help everyone who is trying for there licence to deal with the power of the almighty nerve :evil: . Lets face it, it can override any driving/ riding ability and make you fail :evil: even though you know you can pass?? its a terrible yet funny problem.

Any ideas? :?:

Jarv

Just relax and enjoy the ride on the bike. If you're confident its a good time to show someone that you can ride a bike safely and confidently.

Best of luck with it

One of the good things about taking a bike test is that no one is sat right next to you like with your car test so it doesn't seem quite as pressurised. I was much less nervous on my bike test (which I passed 1st time) than my car test (which took 3 attempts :oops: ).

When i think of taking my mod 2 my nerve shivers lol :mrgreen: i actually tried calmers once but to no availe lol, i have alot of experience on a bike just never went for my licence, now i am it means everything. I know the test is nothing but just like my car test and like alot of people when the time comes its the most important thing in the world for that day. I admit its bloody stupid but it always feels that way doesnt it??????

just trying to cover everything so I pass lol may be going over board, i apologise if i am lol

I don't think there's a lot that can be done to calm your nerves if you are prone to them! I have been driving for 36 years and when I took my driving test I had no nerves at all, was 100% confident I'd pass, which I did. But my bike test was something else, for some reason I was hugely nervous, lacking in confidence and thought (like you) that my nerves would affect my riding. I think part of it was the fact that I'm less balanced as I've got older and had dropped my bike a few times. I also struggled with the slow manoeuvres, especially the u-turn which I had a mental block about. It put me under huge pressure too, as with the Mod 1 I was the last to go in the morning, four riders just before me had passed including the lad I trained with and my instructor said 'stop worrying you'll be fine' - I felt anything but :shock: . However I did say to myself, the worst that can happen is I'll fail, then I'll just have to do it again. Luckily I passed, but didn't expect to! I knew I had the ability to pass Mod 2 but thought I'd make some stupid mistake - I did get some minors but thankfully nothing serious!

I think you'll find the waiting is the worst thing, once you are out there actually on the bike you have to concentrate on the riding and this does distract from the nerves.

Best of Luck :)

I am about to begin my bike lessons, and the one thing everyone can associate with is how nervous we can be when we are in tests, wether it be car or bike.

I myself was very nervous when sitting my car test to the point I took my instructor with me to help combat my nerve, this worked and I passed, as this cannot be done with motorbike tests, I thought it would be a good idea to see what YOU done to passify youre nerve? :shock:

I can guarentee I will be nervous when I sit my Mod 1 and Mod 2, when I get that far and thought some advice may help everyone who is trying for there licence to deal with the power of the almighty nerve :evil: . Lets face it, it can override any driving/ riding ability and make you fail :evil: even though you know you can pass?? its a terrible yet funny problem.

Jarv

Go to the chemist and buy Rescue remedy it calms your nerves when taking tests and actually works really well (and its legal)

• Like 1

Ii suffer horrendous from nerves on tests but the best thing i done, was simply spends hours at test area riding around every sunday before test , get yourself amongst unfamiliar situations with traffic.

Preparation is by far the best thing , arming yourself with experience and knowledge with give you confidence and this will shine through.

Worked for me mate, no minors in mod1 or 2 both in pissing down rain.

Mod 1 is the most nerve-wracking i thought. Because you are right under the examiners nose, and there is nothing you mess up that isn't seen. I failed mod 1 first time with a dabbed foot down on the slalom/figure 8 and really felt that I just wouldn't be able to do it under test conditions. Second time, I took a deep relaxing breath before every manoevre, gave more throttle and passed with no minors. Watch Captaincrashidaho youtube videos for slow riding tips (and lots of other good stuff), particularly the U-turn. Relax if you can, and concentrate on your ability - you CAN do it. You WILL do it!

im sitting mod 2 on tuesday and im actually cacking my pants.

i dont know why though i found mod1 really quite easy. i think its because this means so much to me it cost me a lot of money etc. i was the same with my car test.

any tips for calming down please let me know!

I found rosemary oil really helped to relax me. You can get it from Holland and Barrett and Boots and such places. Take the lid off the bottle and inhale deeply, a couple of times. Has a calming effect, and was really good.

I am doing my DAS at the moment and have just completed day 2... I suffer really bad with nerves. I never used to be like this and don't know why I am now but they effect me really bad.

This morning I just couldn't ride with it... the first hour was really bad. I started to do really well in the afternoon and then on the way back to the centre I dropped it at a junction! It is strange but I have a completely different slant on it now... my ego took a huge dent as now my instructor thinks I am a douche!

You're not a douch Debs

Your instructor should have a chat with you to find out what happened for your bike to drop and offering some tips and advice to reduce the chance of it happening again

Yep.. he did.

I know what it was. I was approachina give way on a wide open junction which was on an slight hill. We was turning left. I looked right to see if was clear and it was so I theought no need to stop. I then had a second thought and decided to stop... while on a hill with camber todards the curb and I was in the priocess of turning.

I the bike lent over and I couldn't hold it so made the executive decision, for somereason to do a sideways dive immediately turning into a backward roll. Ending up on my back like a stranded turtle! Not the look I was going for! :shock:

I feel like a plank! But in a really silly and bizarre way it has calmed me down with the really stupid nerves!

• 9 years later...
3 hours ago, Dajbosson86 said:

Hey, just read this and I had to stop my cbt as my never a started getting to me and I started to tense up and struggled with moving to the on road bit, and I just froze :-( but I have my 1 on 1 cbt on the 1st of next month, anyone have any hints and tips you can give me? 

Yeah, I find a few nippy-sweeties calms the shakes.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 22/03/2012 at 14:12, Guest said:

Jarv

I'm also a bag of nerves! I used kalms and ate plenty of bananas!!! 

2 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

Couple of spliffs sorted me out 

So your condoning drug driving? 

What sentence could you receive for driving under the influence of cannabis?

If there is sufficient evidence that you were under the influence of cannabis whilst driving, you could face an unlimited fine, disqualification, up to 6 months in prison and a criminal record. The conviction will be on your driving licence for up to 11 years.

Totally agree with you Bender ... also "motorcyclists with anxiety!!" ... taking medication ???

Should you be riding a motorbike in traffic while on Anxiety meds ??

Motorcycling is next to Flying .. I do both .... neither event needs to include drugs ... if you need perception modifying or calming drugs and medications to be able to ride a motorcycle ....

Then you should not be riding a motorcycle ...

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I passed my cbt 2 years ago, didn't make one fault, but...I learned to ride on my own bike, a suzuku intruder, did all the manoeuvres loads in car parks so when it came to cbt day it all felt really easy and the instructor was a proper biker so put us at ease. I didn't make one fault on the day and I have never been on the road apart from on motorbikes, so had to learn the highway code for the cbt. Cbt has now run out and I want my full license.  I had a mod 1 lesson last year but nerves screwed it up for me as I felt way  inexperienced on the bigger more modern bikes, I dropped it too but becausei somehow skipped a gear and the bike wobbled and I couldn't flatfoot so down she went lol. I loved the extra power of the throttle though but anxiety kind of made me have a block and I couldn't relax enough to do the slow control bits. I had a lot of stress going on in the background so I was quite distracted on the day and had to get 3 trains to get there that morning which didn't help matters. I thought the mod 1 would be easy if you can rude a bike but it seems you have to nail it as quickly as you can these days due to the rising costs of the training and test fees etc...which adds to the pressure.  I want that full license so bad though so I'll rebook cbt, maybe do direct access so I can ride the 650 I have in my lounge :) I know I can ride and I have ridden big bikes in car parks to practise slow control and stuff, had a go on my 650 too but that's a 20 year old bike so the newer bike school bikes seem a bit more mental, sensitive throttle. I meditated on the bike on my cbt, deep breathing, and just knew I could do it but the mod 1 seems like a different beast. Mod 2 doesn't worry me as much as I've been pilly for years so seen lots on the road and I've also memorised the highway code I'm that obsessed with bikes :) the more you know beforehand,  the calmer and more confident you'll feel. A lot of the time it's mind over matter with the nerves...find your way of finding that inner calm but I know it's not easy for everyone.  Just don't give up trying and you'll get there and the more times you ride, your skills will grow like anything. I wish it was still like in the old days where you rode around the block and the instructor stands there with a clipboard:)

• Like 1