Motorcycle lube

mealexme

What it white motorcycle lube? It seems to pop up quite a bit.

Also whats the difference between wet and dry lube? Whats best for a road bike being used in all weathers?

In fact, any recommendations on lube?

You got any old engine oil? Use that works a treat and easy way to dispose of it ;-)

There's loads of lube's or wax out there all as good as each other I prefer an oil as with wax or lube the road grit can stick to it and make a nice grinding paste to eat your chain away!

Doesn't old engine oil need to be filtered before putting it on your chain?? Or is that just an old wives tail?

I currently use a scottoiler, definitely the easiest way to ride and maintain your chain.. But others don't like them due to the mess they make. :booty:

Lube....... short for lubricant. So many different types and applications.

Used engine oils contains carcinogens and should be handled with care.

A bottle of gear oil EP80 or 90 works well as chain lube.

There are a variety of greases that have different applications. Hot ,cold ,wet etc.

Then there's copper grease, all the different colours of brake grease, rubber grease

Dry lube is graphite powder or similar. Used it in door locks but never on the bike. There's a ptfe ( polytetrafuoroethylene) spray for twist grip throttles that's classed as a dry lubricant

White lube may be silcone grease. A very versatile product.

Then there's water based lubricants like KY Jelly. This is mostly used by bikers sporting a moustache and no beard and wearing tassled jackets. It's quite expensive so two guys generally share a tube. 8-)

Lube....... short for lubricant. So many different types and applications.

Then there's water based lubricants like KY Jelly. This is mostly used by bikers sporting a moustache and no beard and wearing tassled jackets. It's quite expensive so two guys generally share a tube. 8-)

:laugh: :cheers: :laugh:

I just use Holts chain lube and wipe the chain once with an old rag before riding so the O rings get lubed and the stuff on the outer parts of the chain doesn't get thrown on my wheel :lol:

Works a treat, Ive used Muc off dry lube and castrol racing lube and Holts has been the best so far for me :)

I cba to use engine oil, its just easier to spray some holts stuff on and then wipe the chain for me! Then again I use my bike quite a lot throughout the week, sometimes everyday so I dont have time to give it a proper going over with engine oils etc.

i think i have putoline chain lube, gooey as heck and gets allover your wheel but its good for about a week and a half :) i was using some miscelanious oil in a force feed can i found in the shed lol which needed to be reapplyed every couple of days but it didnt got on my wheel.

but it doesnt really matter so long as theres something slippery on ya chain :up: