CBT advice!

Hey guys !

Right 1st things 1st I'm stupidly nervous of my CBT as I came off three times previously while trying last year ... :/ but I've come back with avengence ! And I'm determinded to do it! The thing I struggled with was the figure 8 and the u-turn ... Any tips? And by the way I've never been on a geared bike ....but have been driving cars for 5 years now!

Good luck with it Joni..... 8-)

Figure of 8 and U-turn?.......basically only use the back brake....grab a handfull of front and you'll almost certainly lose your balance..... :wink: Not too many revs, very slight slipping of the clutch to smooth the throttle out and a small amount of back brake should hold the bike steady. But then again I passed my test 36 years ago....so they may frown on that these days..... :wink:

See that's where I panic .... I slipped the clutch and the bike fell on top of me while the wheel was roaring away ! Lol I really want a YBR 125cc I'm not gunna get cocky and try and do my a1 or direct access straight away I'm gunna bide my time before hitting anything bigger! .... It's just confidence really isn't it? I think I might have to grow a third bollock.

Don't go too slow, I was making this mistake once I upped my speed slightly it all became much easier. Don't look at the cones, look where you want to go rather than at what you're trying to avoid.

Keep practicing, once it clicks into place you'll find it easy. Good luck.

have you got a pedal bike? if so practice on that,

over and over again in as small a space as possible.

Look where you want to go!

Don't look where you don't want to go!

Susieque had the same problems but we got her through it

by doing the above!

And remember! it's meant to be fun! enjoy it! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Right guys! It's been booked for the 22nd of April , fingers crossed my nervs won't get the best of me ! Thank you for all your advice too! If anyone has anymore words of wisdom please let me know :)

do the manouvers with as big radius as is allowed this will make it more stable

do it on a moped also...

the manouvers are so much easier on a ped when your learning,

I still cant U turn my r125 without putting a foot down :oops:

on another note you could look up some relaxing exercises or breathing to attempt to combat yer nerves

Not too many revs, very slight slipping of the clutch to smooth the throttle out and a small amount of back brake should hold the bike steady. But then again I passed my test 36 years ago....so they may frown on that these days.....

This is still the way :)

+1 for practicing on a pushbike first - even to the point where I'd suggest picking one up s/h if you don't already have one. Find yourself a quiet car park and just ride around in circles, large at first and then gradually tightening up. Alternate between turning left and turning right, don't just keep doing whichever side is easier.

On the motorcycle, the trick is balancing the clutch, rear brake and throttle. It does take some getting used to, and several people dropped their bikes when I did my CBT - it's not just you! Just remember that a motorcycle *cannot* fall over while it's moving forwards (unless it hits something!), so don't try and go too slowly. It's much easier at 4 or 5 mph than it is at 2 mph.

TBH if you are aiming for a geared bike, then do your CBT on one. At some point you will need to learn to manouvre it at low speed......so learn this at the beginning and you'll be all set for when you get out on the road on your own.

yeah i signed up for that two weeks ago, but they said that it would probably only be about ten minutes on a bike, so was put off by the fact id probably just be sitting there listening to the same cr*p I've heard before LOL, I've just got my fingers crossed for the 22nd, and praying its semi decent weather ! cheers for the good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

guys I've got some bad news, didn't go to plan, my confidence as a whole was good up until i had an incident with the bike, shocked the bike forward then pulling back due to me pulling in the front brake out of panic, really disappointed in myself, such a S#*T feeling when your confidence is blow/gone, so i spoke to my instructor who was brilliant (russell down at coast in paignton) and we came to the conclusion that i should come back and try on a twist and go, just to improve my confidence ! rather disappointed as up until that moment i was really happy clutch control was ok, and then BAM that happens (bruised balls) , but as Arnie would say ...........ILL BE BACK.

if anyone can assist me with tips please go ahead and i shall obviously use them best i can :)

:(

Aw Joni that's a shame. Can you think what made you shoot forward? Too much throttle? Bit too quick on letting the clutch out? Normally I'd say practise practise practise - I did my first cbt on a twist and go, but then I got my own geared 125, and took it along very quiet roads and sidestreets. I was ok with clutch control, but I couldn't change down the gears to save my life - just didn't understand the timing and when you were supposed to drop a gear and such. Taking the bike out on my own made a big difference, as I hate being watched and eventually I mastered the controls and went from there.

If you've been driving for that many years are you using the clutch like you would in a car?

When I started learning I'd been driving for more than 10 years and my dad had beaten it into me when I was learning to drive "Do not slip the clutch, you'll knacker it". First lesson with my instructor he said I used the clutch too much like a car, it was either in or out.

A bike clutch is completely different from a car's and you can slip it with no worries. When doing slow manoeuvres use this to your advantage. Keep the revs constant and then use the clutch to control your speed, want to go slower pull it in a bit, want to go a bit quicker let it out a bit. Always keep that little bit of power going to the wheels and the drive will help keep you upright. You've then got all the bits spinning in the engine and the wheels acting as a gyroscope to help your balance.

It's tricky to get the hang of at first. You'll have times where you don't quite have enough and will put a foot down (or fall off) and you'll have times where you let it out a little bit too much and jerk forward (and panic and pull it right in to stop yourself shooting off ... and fall off ;) ) but when you get the hang of that bit the rest of learning to ride a bike is a doddle :)

Stick with it and good luck.

its just beat me down a bit, its rebooked for 6th of next month !! i will complete it ! I'm not gonna stop until its complete !! i was thinking of doing it on twist and go like Nell whats peoples thoughts on the idea? i think its a pretty good idea!

I'm sure a lot of people will not agree with this, but sometimes it's better just to get through the CBT on a ped instead. Each time you try, and fail, you knock your confidence and wind yourself up a bit more. Plus there is the question of an extra £100 or whatever you are paying.

Balancing the throttle, clutch and rear brake is not easy and some people just never get it. If you try it on a ped you will probably sail through it and end up with your CBT, and it does not restrict you to riding bikes without gears.

The choice is yours at the end of the day. All I can say is think about your own safety - if you have a moment, dump the clutch, drop the bike in the training area OK, but what if you do that out on the road? Talk to your instructor, take the advice he gives you.

Matt.

I'm sure a lot of people will not agree with this, but sometimes it's better just to get through the CBT on a ped instead. Each time you try, and fail, you knock your confidence and wind yourself up a bit more. Plus there is the question of an extra £100 or whatever you are paying.

Balancing the throttle, clutch and rear brake is not easy and some people just never get it. If you try it on a ped you will probably sail through it and end up with your CBT, and it does not restrict you to riding bikes without gears.

The choice is yours at the end of the day. All I can say is think about your own safety - if you have a moment, dump the clutch, drop the bike in the training area OK, but what if you do that out on the road? Talk to your instructor, take the advice he gives you.

Matt.

its just beat me down a bit, its rebooked for 6th of next month !! i will complete it ! I'm not gonna stop until its complete !! i was thinking of doing it on twist and go like Nell whats peoples thoughts on the idea? i think its a pretty good idea!

No shame in that. If it gets you onto the roads competently then I don't see the problem. As Matt says, your certificate will allow you to ride a geared bike on L plates anyway, so you can always move onto one eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

i passed guys!!!! and i had a go on the geared and found it really easy ! i think it was just all in my head that i was making the possible impossible ! ...soo happy!!! need a bike now?!