The Leeds Ringroad A58(M) and A64(M)...

Adam_M

Hi all,

Having a rather ridiculous argument with an Uncle right now.

He believes that on a CBT you are allowed to go down this road, on a 125. Saying it's not a motorway, and it's a 40mph road (which it is, it's 40mph)

However... it's quite CLEARLY classed as a motorway, it has a lovely M in its name, is blue on a map like a motorway and the signs for it are that lovely blue tone signing, you guessed it, it's a motorway!

Now of course, on a CBT, you can not ride on any motorway. It seems clear cut to me, the letter of the law is thou shalt not tide. Which is annoying, as it makes getting from one side of Leeds to the other quite a pain.

So, who's wrong?

I'm hoping there's someone local here who'd know more!

Guest Hodgy

It's classed as a motorway (A58M) and learners aren't allowed on it, although I've seen vehicles displaying 'L' plates on before, but if you were spotted, you'd be in bother :roll:

Aye, it's pretty clear cut! annoying, as getting to the other side of Leeds is a bit of a pain, but still... thou shalt not pass.

What I don't get is that someone who's been driving in Leeds for as long as I've been alive is adamant that it isn't a motorway... :roll: so much that he's betting me £100 that he's right! heh, easy money.

It's classed as a motorway (A58M) and learners aren't allowed on it, although I've seen vehicles displaying 'L' plates on before, but if you were spotted, you'd be in bother :roll:

Guest Hodgy
Aye, it's pretty clear cut! annoying, as getting to the other side of Leeds is a bit of a pain, but still... thou shalt not pass.

What I don't get is that someone who's been driving in Leeds for as long as I've been alive is adamant that it isn't a motorway... :roll: so much that he's betting me £100 that he's right! heh, easy money.

So have you decided what you're going to spend your £100 on? :D

Yep it's a pain getting across Leeds without using the inner ring road, I have to quite often when it's blocked due to accidents/breakdowns :evil:

What this sign means A58(M) means there are sections of that road the A58 become motorway, so you are both right, some sections you can ride on some you carn't.

I think I might use the £100 to pay for him to do the driving theory test! he clearly needs it.

Cheers guys. Knew I wasn't going mad.

So have you decided what you're going to spend your £100 on? :D

Yep it's a pain getting across Leeds without using the inner ring road, I have to quite often when it's blocked due to accidents/breakdowns :evil: