service station mobile phone chargers?

mealexme

possibly going to be riding 180 miles, mainly on motorways (I know its not the best idea, but I will take regular brakes etc) but my question is, my phone will be on, possibly with GPS, but I have a feeling my phone will loose charge in that time. Is there anywhere I could charge it at a service station, or go into a city and find a socket there?

Dont have enough time or money to get a charger on the bike (although I will get one at some point)

It's only 2 hours 30 mins if you average 70 MPH... Just turn off your phone and memorise what junction you need to get off at...

It will pass in now time, and on the bandit you won't need a break.

By time I mean I dont have time to get it online and wait over a week for delivery, especially with the acklog from the bank holidays as I may need to go in 3 days, or it may be 10, I dont know yet

Guest Hodgy
By time I mean I dont have time to get it online and wait over a week for delivery, especially with the acklog from the bank holidays as I may need to go in 3 days, or it may be 10, I dont know yet

Any car accessory shop will sell them, there must be a Halfords or even a Maplins somewhere near by?

If your riding mainly on the motorway, just make a note of the junction numbers and the route you need then turn your phone off and save your battery for when you need it

you can get a socket with crocodile clips and fit it straight to the battery, then zip tie it to your bike for the duration. make sure it has an in-line fuse. can get at most bike or car accessory shops. as for car chargers, any mobile phone shop has them. and all fairly cheap.

i have seen rapid chargers for sale, i think the use normal batteries in them and they boost your phone charge by a few hour.

cool, thanks guys.

But yea, it wont just be used for satnav, but because they are in-ear ones and my new helmet is noisy I will try and use the headphones as ear plugs (which probably wont work) aswell as having it hooked up to trapster (I know what you are going to say "just dont speed" or "look out for cameras" but I want it on as back up to my own eyes, and possibly, depending on my concentration levels play some background music on low through them so I dont get too bored as I find music does help me concentrate so those three things will drain the battery rapidly.

But no such thing as sockets at services to charge ya phone then? :(

Guest Hodgy

But no such thing as sockets at services to charge ya phone then? :(

I've never seen any, but some motorway services have phone shops, so they probably would for a price, while you went and had lunch. It depends how long your phone takes to charge and how long you want to hang around?

You can get those things you put AA battery's in and your menna get like three charges. Failing that just find a cheap pub like a harvester or fayre and square or something, you could even pre plan it for just after your half way point or whatever. Them places have plug sockets, cleaners have to plug hoovers in, or just ask someone behind the bar if you can charge your phone whilest you have your dinner as your expecting some important call or something.

The venue I work in has about 7 plug sockets out front, and it can only hold 300 people or something. It's tiny in comparison to the harvester on the same complex

How ever did we manage in the 80's :roll:

oh yeah, map stuffed in jacket, soaking wet and usualy lost the important bit when it was snatched in a gust of wind in the layby

Happy days :D

Or,,,,,, You could just get a spare battery,,,, one for my mbl is £4,50 on amazon & could be cheaper on fleebay

What if it's an iPhone or something like? Mines a completely sealed unit, there's no taking it apart to switch batteries

Or,,,,,, You could just get a spare battery,,,, one for my mbl is £4,50 on amazon & could be cheaper on fleebay

What if it's an iPhone or something like? Mines a completely sealed unit, there's no taking it apart to switch batteries

, if not spare battery, then how about a power pack??? this one's a tenner :shock:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001B214II/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1333972617&sr=8-2&condition=used

Yes they do have chargers in some services as ive used them before quite a number of times :lol:

But 180 miles!?

I do 192 miles sometimes weekly just to see my Family, I can do that in 2 and a half hours or there abouts.

Depends how you ride and how bored you get to how well you do journeys. I can do long stints easy as I spent so many years on 50's-250cc bikes doing long journeys around the country on a 600 it feels like im flying.

Depends what time you travel as if you go late you get the services to yourself so you can plug stuff in and sit there without looking dumb in front of too many people.

220 miles on the way back took me 5 hours... But that was mainly getting lost (put the sat nav on in the middle of Newport and she took me round in circles and I didnt spend all that 5 hours on the bike, plus looking for some good roads and looking for some places to stop for a good view of the Severn ridge for the challenge game etc)

Wasnt too bad in the end, but the battery did very almost die on me on the way back and I didnt use it much.

I did have a breaf look in the services but couldnt see any charging points. Think I will get a bike 12v socket for future use. I dont have an Iphone by the way :P