Derbyshire----What a shame :-(

Graham

I didn't know which section to put this in for the best exposure & if admin/mods feel its best elsewhere then by all means do so.

After a few years of not being, we (our group) decided to go to Derbyshire yesterday to sample the great biking/scratching roads on offer.

Fortunately the roads are still there (lol) but unfortunately so are many more speed traps/cameras/average speed cameras/boysinblue etc :-(. Obviously with this being the case less & less bikers are going to venture in the area which is such a shame, given the roads & scenery on offer.

After stopping at the Cat n Fiddle Pub, it was noticable how quiet it was compared to my last visit some years ago & after gaining more knowledge this is in parallel to the further enforcements made on the Cat & Fiddle road plus the same on surrounding roads etc.

Places like this (all over Derbyshire) have been serving "US" bikers for many many years & have been havens for meet ups, good chat, good food & drink, warmth, etc etc etc. Please if we do venture the area, its still stunningly scenic, then please support these drinking & eating astablishments in order for them to remain there in the future.

The landlady was certainly upset by the continuing abuse from the police, and it was affecting her trade. But I suppose there were enough pedal cyclists there to tick her over, suppose we will see if she is still there in two years.

There was a few B roads we used but the roads were a little precarious, far too much winter rubble in the roads, and that's not including the snow that was still about.

The roads were notorious for accidents and i suppose the police had to do something, but by lowering the speed to 50 in the whole area imo has killed my enjoyment, well until the age I ride a cruiser...

Up North for me, well if you draw a physical line from Bootle - Manchester - Rotherham - across; the roads are good & free from the soul destroying "in it to win it" police, allowing us to enjoy the roads and the freedom.

R.I.P Cat & Fiddle.

I'm not about to start trawling the 'net for statistics, but it would be interesting to know if the increased number of fatalities isn't just down to a greater number of people riding bikes - i.e has the % of fatalities per number of bike riders actually increased. :?

I can't find anything (not that i could be bothered doing an indepth search) but these figures cover 2009' - pretty obvious it's a certain age group.

I wonder IF they call scooter deaths biker deaths? They must do i suppose, but how many times do you see some chav on a scooter, no safety gear etc etc

"Among car users, the number of deaths fell by 20% year-on-year to 842. A total of 405 pedestrians were killed, down 19%, while 403 motorcyclists died, a 15% drop from 2009."

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-new ... 17972.html

36104.jpg.8af50db60999cd54e704911109b64586.jpg

I'm not about to start trawling the 'net for statistics, but it would be interesting to know if the increased number of fatalities isn't just down to a greater number of people riding bikes - i.e has the % of fatalities per number of bike riders actually increased. :?

Interestingly, the Cat n Fiddle Road from Macclesfield to the Cat n Fiddle pub on the summit, did have the most number of biker fatalities/accidents than any other 7 mile stretch of road in the UK.

The thing is though it's always been by far the most popular & busiest stretch of 7 mile tarmac in the UK also.

It was a normal & open rural section of twisty road in scenic countryside, to be enjoyed & respected...Now its not :-(

Interestingly, the Cat n Fiddle Road from Macclesfield to the Cat n Fiddle pub on the summit, did have the most number of biker fatalities/accidents than any other 7 mile stretch of road in the UK.

Not surprising because of it's popularity.

My argument with the figures is did the number of fatalities rise in proportion to the increased number of bikes on the roads?! If so, bikers aren't being any less careful than they were!

Not surprising because of it's popularity.

My argument with the figures is did the number of fatalities rise in proportion to the increased number of bikes on the roads?! If so, bikers aren't being any less careful than they were!

If you mean in general & of the whole Country regardless of speed restrictions, then the number of motorbike accidents are linked to a general % of motorbikers using the roads, which is somewhat different to motorbike owners.

If you mean on restricted roads, then accidents are at a less % in general than previously.

If you mean at the Cat n Fiddle road (Macclesfield to The summit), then the restrictions of 50mph average have certainly brought down the number of accidents (of which I will find out exactly how many) but also the number of bikers have diminished.

What was apparent on Sunday, was that the 50mph average speed roads & those with other restrictions where very very quiet in biker terms, yet Matlock Bath (a popular bike meet place) was as busy as ever, so much so that all parking spots along the road were taken.

This would certainly point out that bikers are/have got to know of the restricted roads & are quite simply not using them because of it, which leads to the falling trade of certain drinking/eating establishments on those roads & in those areas.

Does an increase in users justify a higher casualty rate?

The reason for the restrictions on that road could be blamed on a few thoughtless Power Rangers riding beyond their abilities but in reality more than care to admit are responsible for such measures being brought in. It would have been a National Speed Limit of 60mph before the 50 Limit was introduced in any case so a drop of 10mph. The trouble is a high percentage of Bikers don't think that the National Speed Limits apply to them and that they are all blessed with abilities over and above everyone else which enables them to "safely" ride in excess of such limits.

Before the reduced limit it was Policed and motorbiking forums are littered with people moaning that the Police have nothing better to do and caught them speeding. The warning signs were there but Bikers ignored them hence the reduced limit. You can only give so much warning and scrape so many bodies off the road before someone says enough is enough. The Cat and Fiddle is history and the Bikers have moved on. The trouble is that all it has done is shift the problems elsewhere but the same solution to that problem will be employed in due course. Don't say you haven't been warned.

The costs alone of dealing with a fatality, fully investigating it and taking it to its conclusion are astronomical and any enforcement steps taken to reduce them are considerably more cost effective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel myself and like to make progress, but not at the risk of my own skin or anyone else's for that matter.

Its as much the blanket 50 limit that put paid to me going and as I have far better roads nearby its just one more reason not to go.

Where do you tend to go? Where are these far better roads? Perhaps we could make a trip one Sunday, your way?

Does an increase in users justify a higher casualty rate?

I wasn't for one minute suggesting it did. Just interested in the correlation between casualties and greater number of bikes on the roads.

Its as much the blanket 50 limit that put paid to me going and as I have far better roads nearby its just one more reason not to go.

Where do you tend to go? Where are these far better roads? Perhaps we could make a trip one Sunday, your way?

The roads I ride through the dales, the roads out to the east coast and some around malton are all far better less policed roads than in derby, if its views you want then by all meaqns bimble around the cat but if its just for riding then pick most of yorkshire and cumbria through the lakes, its just better...to me anyway.

The roads I ride through the dales, the roads out to the east coast and some around malton are all far better less policed roads than in derby, if its views you want then by all meaqns bimble around the cat but if its just for riding then pick most of yorkshire and cumbria through the lakes, its just better...to me anyway.

I couldn't agree more & when I asked I was interested in where you ride. I was thinking about how blessed NW/Yorks/Cumbria bikers are to have the Dales & Cumbria within easy reach. I've not done it for a while (next ride perhaps?) but on a quiet dry day a good ride on the Lakeland roads inparticular is fantastic.

The Dales with its variety of roads, generally grippy surface, bru stops & scenery (at times) would take some beating at any time :-). I've biker friends who live down South & they say they've nothing their way like what we have here, we're very lucky.

i went out to matlock over the cat last sunday too, massive decrease in people going there compared to two years ago, i actually avoid it.

Anyway on the way back heading to macclesfield me an my friend had some power rangers nearly take us out with bad over taking and silly speeds. It's all on helmet cam video too :P

I prefer wales over derbyshire tbh.

Anyway on the way back heading to macclesfield me an my friend had some power rangers nearly take us out with bad over taking and silly speeds. It's all on helmet cam video too :P

I prefer wales over derbyshire tbh.

I'm going to pondorosa at some point this year, not managed it yet.

Upload the video, might of been us lol

I generally think we're lucky in west yorks to have so many areas of natural outstanding beauty less than an hour away from our front doors. I do like getting out and using the feet as well to climb some big hills, and we're really spoilt for choice.

now where's me flat cap and whippet?

Derbyshire is beautiful, the speed restrictions wouldn't stop me enjoying it (you can see more when you're going slower :mrgreen: ). But I'm really lucky to have north Wales and south Shropshire within easy reach, I love the Wales roads and could easily spend my time exploring them all as opposed to going anywhere else -they take some beating :)

They've done the same with the road that goes from the m73 to Lanark used to be a 60 but now a 40. Never seen any bikes doing stupid things there, I think it's down to all the Sunday drivers getting upset when someone (car or bike) tries to do the limit.

If they're wanting to enforce the 60 limit it should be enforced. cameras, police etc. Not a lower blanket speed limit; those who speed will still speed regardless.

Like Gill says Derbyshire has some great roads and views as does North Wales.

But the power rangers get the hump when they fly around at daft speeds and then get pulled over for it or blanket speed limits are put in place.

Have a legal bike, don't ride like a knob and you can still enjoy most areas.

We all push the limit now and then but there is a time and place.