A few Questions about Second bike

Guest JordanC

So i just got a new job, its pretty far away and not reachable by bus alone. So ive decided my main means of transport should be to get a motorbike, i owned a Kymco Agility almost 2 years ago but it was stolen by the local Chavs.

The place i had my CBT done have quoted me £615 for a 4 day course which starts with re-doing my CBT and then ends with me doing the full licence test, they also said that since they are so busy they will have to book the course 6 weeks in advance giving me time to complete my theory.

I have a few questions;

Is the course worth it?

How do i prepare for the theory without buying any sort of source material?

Is the theory test at all challenging?

and lastly,

Should i start on a 250 or a 600 and have the 600 restricted to 33BHP while im on a restricted licence?

Getting the 600 means that i dont have to spend as much money... (insurance is pretty much the same for a 125 a 250 or a 600)

Will a 600 be too much for me at first? im almost 6 ft and somewhere between 13 and 14 stone.. (closer to 13 :wink: )

My girlfriend thinks i should just get a 125 or a 50 cc for another couple of years, but being able to use the motorway and carry a pillion passenger just sounds so appealing to me.

any and all advice is appreciated :)

Jordan

Welcome to the forum!

I have a few questions;

Is the course worth it? YesHow do i prepare for the theory without buying any sort of source material? Try the local library and have a look around on t'internetIs the theory test at all challenging? Not really but you'll need to have decent knowledge of the highway code and the hazard perception section can be tricky, until you work it out :wink:

and lastly,

Should i start on a 250 or a 600 and have the 600 restricted to 33BHP while im on a restricted licence? Get a 600Getting the 600 means that i dont have to spend as much money... (insurance is pretty much the same for a 125 a 250 or a 600)

Will a 600 be too much for me at first? im almost 6 ft and somewhere between 13 and 14 stone.. (closer to 13 :wink: ) It will still only have 33bhp and will only go as quick as you make it. Going by your size and height a 600 should be a doddle to manoever and easier to ride. A 125 will hardly move with your lump on it :D

:cheers:

No offence mate but does your girlfriend ride a bike? If she does I struggle to see how she can think that comment is logical.

I found that on a small bike, especially with L plates drivers seem to think it's ok to attempt to bully you. I have a lot more road presence on a big bike. I couldn't believe it when I first got on it. There was a big change in drivers attitudes towards me, when I went from a 125 with L plates to passing. That was nothing compared to when I got on my current bike.

£615 is a good price for the lot.

If you have been on the road, I wouldn't worry about the theory too much, I bought a practice cd for the PC for my bike theory and never failed one mock attempt. Waste of money really. Had been driving 5 years then.

A 600 is only as fast as your right hand.

And you posted in the wrong section ;)

Cheers lads, and no my girlfriend hasn't the slightest clue about bikes, her dream vehicle is Ford KA T.T

looks like im going for the 600, anyone want to recommend a specific model? i like the Honda CBR, (my nan rides a fireblade and its beautiful!)

apparently my mum has a copy of the highway code, i know most of it though, not too sure how i will fare on the hazard perception part :P

and btw ABR are sick m/

Cheers lads, and no my girlfriend hasn't the slightest clue about bikes, her dream vehicle is Ford KA T.T

looks like im going for the 600, anyone want to recommend a specific model? i like the Honda CBR, (my nan rides a fireblade and its beautiful!)

apparently my mum has a copy of the highway code, i know most of it though, not too sure how i will fare on the hazard perception part :P

and btw ABR are sick m/

your nan has a blade??? lol good on her :P

I wouldnt recommend a CBR as a first bike, maybe the F, best to go for would be yamaha fazer / honda hornet both restrict well and are forgiving :)

yamaha fazer / honda hornet both restrict well and are forgiving :)

Probably worth mentioning the SV650, ER6n, ER6F, versys 650, Gladius, fz6, xj6 and even a bandit 600 etc etc but its all down to budget.

Probably worth mentioning the SV650, ER6n, ER6F, versys 650, Gladius, fz6, xj6 and even a bandit 600 etc etc but its all down to budget.

very true boothy :)

all of those would be fine :) SV is a twin tho :( ER6 Id regret quickish :P

As is the versys and the gladius, thats why put them in :P Twins restrict better

As is the versys and the gladius, thats why put them in :P Twins restrict better

still shite tho lol

No offence mate but does your girlfriend ride a bike? If she does I struggle to see how she can think that comment is logical.

I found that on a small bike, especially with L plates drivers seem to think it's ok to attempt to bully you. I have a lot more road presence on a big bike. I couldn't believe it when I first got on it. There was a big change in drivers attitudes towards me, when I went from a 125 with L plates to passing. That was nothing compared to when I got on my current bike.

£615 is a good price for the lot.

If you have been on the road, I wouldn't worry about the theory too much, I bought a practice cd for the PC for my bike theory and never failed one mock attempt. Waste of money really. Had been driving 5 years then.

A 600 is only as fast as your right hand.

And you posted in the wrong section ;)

Thats pretty bloody quick !!!

I wouldnt recommend a CBR as a first bike, maybe the F, best to go for would be yamaha fazer / honda hornet both restrict well and are forgiving :)

she owns 2!

thanks for the advice guys!

ill check em all out

Well im on like £5.10 an hour so budget is like up to 2-3k? even that would take me a fair few months to get together.. yah...

Jord

she owns 2!

thanks for the advice guys!

ill check em all out

Well im on like £5.10 an hour so budget is like up to 2-3k? even that would take me a fair few months to get together.. yah...

Jord

god your nan is COOOOOOOOL :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Don't worry about insurance. :P

:? You do realise you won't be able to insure a cbr anyway :lol:

ive checked insurance and i dont see why i cant insure a CBR?

Don't worry about insurance. :P

:? You do realise you won't be able to insure a cbr anyway :lol:

ive checked insurance and i dont see why i cant insure a CBR?

Depends on your age and how long you've been riding I suppose. For my to insure a CBR600F as a new rider it would be ~900-1000 quid annually.

I didn't even look at a 600RR quote. But I'd imagine double.

Depends on your age and how long you've been riding I suppose. For my to insure a CBR600F as a new rider it would be ~900-1000 quid annually.

how old are you cause i got a similar qoute with an excess of like 800 quid.

im 17 by the way.

how old are you cause i got a similar qoute with an excess of like 800 quid.

im 17 by the way.

I'm 24, just getting my license soon. Excess was similar for me too. Apparently experience is everything. Although the fact I've been driving 7 years leaves me a little bit peeved now. lol.

Thinking ER6F, at around 640 annually, that I can do. Inline 4 sounds much nicer, for sure, but not looking for something massively fast as something thats basically my first bike.

That said, your insurance quote must have been for a restricted 600, and still ~£900?

When I insured my bandit last year I was 17 with 1 years no claims and it was £380 PA

Nice! i would have 1 years no claims yet i stupidly decided to cancel my insurance when my moped was stolen..

probably gunna go for something more affordable than a cbr for now but still a 500-600.

dont know whether to get the bike before my licence or my licence before my bike?

When I insured my bandit last year I was 17 with 1 years no claims and it was £380 PA

Nice! i would have 1 years no claims yet i stupidly decided to cancel my insurance when my moped was stolen..

probably gunna go for something more affordable than a cbr for now but still a 500-600.

dont know whether to get the bike before my licence or my licence before my bike?

I'd suggest (from what I've read and heard, I'm reaaaaaally no expert.) the license first, then the bike. You might as well learn on something you don't care if you drop (hopefully at a standstill!) than take you shiny new pride and joy along and bend or break something on it.

Plus with already having the license, you wont have the bike sat there in your garage going "Oh go on, just take me round the corner... we'll be fine!" Be great if you got caught riding without a license only to get banned from having one for a year, eh?

• 1 month later...