Air filter issue

Guest Adamcg125-b

Hi there i have a honda cg125 brazil 1992 and it seems to lack top end speed. Ive changed the spark plug and fresh oil change and this has made starting alot smoother. Also just found my air filter has a hole in it about the size of a £2 coin would this affect the mix enough to be causing the lack of top end speed. With the top end i can get to just about 55 in 5th gear and wont go any further any advice is appreciated thanks adam

Thanks for reply thats abit of a relief then also forgot to mention the old plug had alot of carbon build up and the new one is building up also now is that a sign of the air filter problem im pretty new to this so any info is appreciated thanks

My daughter reckons she can get just over 60 out of her CG (probably downhill with a following wind :lol: )

I'm guessing you may be able to improve things a bit but probably not by much.

Not to be rude but how much do you weigh?

I only weight 65kg im pretty small lol so dont think the weight is an issue lol Would the hole in the filter cause the carbon build up on the plug ive ordered a replacement pad but until then is it worth altering the mix ratio?

I only weight 65kg im pretty small lol so dont think the weight is an issue lol Would the hole in the filter cause the carbon build up on the plug ive ordered a replacement pad but until then is it worth altering the mix ratio?

as i already said??????? nooooooooooooooooooo

An air filter with a hole in it is no longer an air filter. Replace it. Dirty air will cause all sorts of wear problems. Strangely enough this may be why your machine is running rich. The loss of a little power on a small motorcycle is most noticable. Don't go adjusting everything. Fix the problem.

An old man once said "You can't dig a hole in a different place by digging the same hole deeper"

Thanks for the replys ppl really appreciated just got the new filter but still waiting for the oil could i just use 10w 40 engine oil for the time being on the filter many thanks adam

A sponge air filter like found on the CG should be lightly oiled!

To be honest mate 5th gear is a bit of a waste of time on a CG it's top speed can pretty much be achieved in 4th. It would take a long straight slightly downhill with a tailwind before it's worth using 5th. I hit (an indicated) 77mph on the A1 on my way back from doncaster once. Best I normally had was 65ish..

You could get a bigger toothed sprocket for the rear to gain a bit more top end, you'll lose acceleration though.

Plug the hole, (use a stanley knife and an old DVD case to cut a 'plug' bigger than required, use a bit of super glue or silicone to seal it round your airbox and see if It makes a difference)

Good luck, but don't expect miracles..