So, I currently have sore knees.

I say currently as I am hoping they will return to not being sore quite soon, however I've now been waiting a month or so and as yet have not seen any improvement. I've been to see the Dr who says its not ligament damage but it could be cartilage damage, gave me some anti inflammatories and sent me on my merry if slightly hobbley way to see if they help.

I have tried those stretchy tube bandages, which help a little but they roll down and tend to pinch the back of my knee when on the bike. I tried a sticky blue elasticated bandage which also helped a bit, but still pinched and also rolled up in places.

So I am looking for something a bit more supportive that will stay in place and not pinch. I've had a look online and have found a brand called 'Neo G' who do supports that can be used for sports, they have them on Amazon and get very good reviews but are quite expensive at nearly £30. Obviously worth it if it works, however as far as I can tell from the pictures they are not open at the back so I am concerned about them pinching at the back when on the bike. Tesco do some for £20, but again they are not open at the back.

If anyone has had first hand experience of something that would fit the bill it would be much appreciated!

Ta,

Gayle :)

No good for a tight bend in the knee, tbh I'd say you'd be lucky to find something with support & freedom to move in the way you will need to.

For cartilage damage; pain killers and as little movement as possible as so not to anger the injury.

Maybe pack some cold treatment spray to take with you?

I have been using deep freeze gel and its pretty good, definitely more effective than anything else I've tried for achey joints thus far (ie ibuprofen pills/gel, deep heat)! I've not used it yesterday or today though as I want to see if the anti inflammitories the Dr gave me make a difference. Looks like he's given me a few weeks supply so not sure how long to leave it.

I had a look on ebay for knee supports and found some for MMA fighting which are open at the back and also quite inexpensive at less than £10, so that might be worth a try.

I get this with my knee protectors I use under my bike jeans but only if I don't take them off when I am done riding

I am wondering if it would be possible to cut a hole in the back of a support without affecting the amount of support it gives too much?

Maybe if you make sure its only the area that pinches so you leave the front and sides and a small bit to the back?

I wore this for most of 2009 while waiting for my knee op. Stopped me falling over. It has steel braces either side, pulls on with stretchy bits and is fixed with wide velcro straps. Cost about £25 from a ski shop.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/megawattblade/Me/P1050864.jpg

I wore this for most of 2009 while waiting for my knee op. Stopped me falling over. It has steel braces either side, pulls on with stretchy bits and is fixed with wide velcro straps. Cost about £25 from a ski shop.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/megawattblade/Me/P1050864.jpg

That is the very same sort of thing as I am looking at. If you were on the bike at all with it, did you find it pinched at the back at all?

I get this with my knee protectors I use under my bike jeans but only if I don't take them off when I am done riding

I am wondering if it would be possible to cut a hole in the back of a support without affecting the amount of support it gives too much?

Maybe if you make sure its only the area that pinches so you leave the front and sides and a small bit to the back?

I'd be worried about ruining them :/ the <£10 mma ones might be the way to go atm.

Time to hang up the sports and go for a feet forward cruiser.

It comes to us all 8-)

I'm still in my twenties :(

If it is cartilage damage, especially under the kneecap, then be careful using any type of compression as you will push the cap onto the joint and could make the issue worse.

Not to sound pesimistic, but knackered cartilage under my kneecap resulted in selling a Ninja because it was just too painful to ride.

Kind of slightly in the same boat as yourself. Ive got osgood schlater disease in my right knee. Its got much better after ultrasonic treatment but when riding it can get painful. Once i give it a quick stretch its ok....but preferably im thinking some kind of support which might help with the knee not becoming as sore.