Heated Grips

Remy

Do they take a charge out of the battery, even when switched off? I've got Oxford grips and have them wired directly onto the battery, as is the wiring for my heated waistcoat and satnav. I've not had battery problems before I had the grips fitted, but afterwards the battery seems to lose it's charge when left for a while. I am not leaving the grips on by accident!

I've had to use a battery optimiser now, but is it common for this to happen with grips, and if so why?

Heated grips do take alot out of the battery Gill.

I try to get in the habit of turning them off a few minutes before i arrive at my destination, just to give the battery a chance of a small recharge.

If left on when the bike is not running they will drain your battery. Having said that, they are sipposed to turn off automatically when the power is below a certain level.

That's why sometimes you can't turn them on untill the engine is running providing enough power for them.

If you think the battery was designed to run the bike and lights. But modern bikers now are adding sat navs, fog lights, heated grips, Heated suits etc it is going to put a strain on the battery.

Is for the optimate if i haven't been on the bike for a while, i'll charge the battery the night before just for peace of mind.

Having said all that. Heated grips are the best single mod a bike can have :wink:

I do turn the grips off before I stop, and also don't turn them on until I have been riding for a while - I just wondered even if the grips are off, do they still take a bit of charge somehow?

I agree that they are a godsend, especially for me as my hands freeze in anything less than summer weather!

Oh well will just have to make sure I keep the battery topped up between uses ..

Guest Hodgy

They shouldn't take any current out of the battery when switched off, unless there is a fault in the switch. Get someone with a voltmeter to check if there is any battery drain for you :thumb:

I was worried about this after i fitted my grips, The on/off controls are on the bars so could be turned on or off by anyone, So i fitted a switch under the seat. If I leave the bike for any length of time or anywhere someone could turn the grips on i turn the switch off, would also stop any battery drain?

Guest Hodgy
I was worried about this after i fitted my grips, The on/off controls are on the bars so could be turned on or off by anyone, So i fitted a switch under the seat. If I leave the bike for any length of time or anywhere someone could turn the grips on i turn the switch off, would also stop any battery drain?

Or just wire them through a relay so they will only work when the key is in the ignition amd it's switched on :thumb: