bmw s1000rr

Matt Strange

You've heard the hype. All I can say (pretty much) is believe it - this bike is amazing & shockingly fast = something like a 9.5 second 1/4 mile fast enough?

Given most of my experiences with post 2000 sportsbikes, I almost wanted to hate it, say it was uncomfortable, handled like a pig at slow speeds & was meant for the race track only.

Well, it certainly made me look the fool -totally wrong there & on all counts.

This bike is more comfortable to ride & puts less weight on my wrists than my 1996 fireblade!. In fact, if the riding mode electronics were kept in rain mode then even a new rider would find this easy to ride; more so than any 600 supersports in my opinion. It's incredibly well balanced

& poised at all speeds, has a 1/2 decent turning circle, phenomenal brakes, slick gear box with quickshifter. Nice layout for the controls/switchgear etc.

I'm hard pressed to find any faults with this bike, it simply is that good. If pressed I would say the indicator switch is a little stubby, and, depending on your stance on bikes, it's almost too refined, too smooth, too..... German?. It's probably quite hard to have proper fun on this bike at sensible speeds too given that it makes going extremely fast rather effortless, even around the tightest of bends.

It perhaps lacks a little 'character' compared to, say, an early ZX10r which is a snarling, raw beast of a bike. My opinion might be changed if I get

to ride this bike without the electronics, AFAIK they can't be switched off 100% fully. The traction control is still on in slick mode, only the anti wheelie & rear ABS are deactivated.

Oh, & it's butt fugly! :lol:

Spec as tested:

BMW s1000rr, newest model on 61 plate

Standard kit fitted:

Quickshifter

Slipper clutch

ABS

Traction Control + anti-wheelie

4 mode engine map/power control. The different settings are called rain, sport, race, & lastly slick (which wasn't available to me unfortunately)

Additional kit:

Akrapovic End can - sounds lovely on overrun 8-)

Tested on a cool, dry & overcast day, and the approx temperature 14C

My previous sportsbikes: Fireblade 893 foxeye + 929 millennium edition, k2 GSXR1000, K4 GSXR600, Ducati 1098s

My 'stats' :) :

33 years old, 184cm tall (6 foot, 1/2 inch in old), 100Kg (approx 16.5 stone), 79cm inside leg (31 inches), medium sized hands, size 9 boot.

1221323551_bmws1000rr.jpg.7d5f8019c0bbe9f0190a2fe1ce4b1079.jpg

Edited by Matt Strange

4 mode engine map/power control. The different settings are called rain, sport, race, & lastly slick (which wasn't available to me unfortunately)

That's the one you have to plug something in under the seat for it to become available isn't it?

Nice Review, although it would be interesting to see how these things in the long run.

That's the one you have to plug something in under the seat for it to become available isn't it?

Nice Review, although it would be interesting to see how these things in the long run.

Yes. Dealer says no! :evil: .

I agree a long term test would be nice, I have several other bikes to demo yet though!!

Yep. Devens on here test rode both the 2012 S1000RR and a 2012 Fireblade and preferred the Blade, I think its down to personal preference.

http://eurocyclesoftampabay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2012-BMW-S1000RR-blue-2.jpg

:love:

Yep. Devens on here test rode both the 2012 S1000RR and a 2012 Fireblade and preferred the Blade, I think its down to personal preference.

:love:

2012 Blade is the next one up!!!!! :D

I was going to have a go today, weather here is iffy so I've postponed the test until Monday.

I better stress that unless you ride it like a complete lunatic; it's likely you will never get anywhere near this bike's limit on the road. It will likely go quicker than pretty much anything I've ridden before, and I doubt I was even using 1/2 - 2/3 of its capabilities at that most of the time. It makes going quick seem almost completely effortless, I suspect the electronics play a major part in this.

Some serious potential for licence loss on this one! :shock:

• 3 months later...

It's good to have the power when needed. My zzr 1400 puts out supposedly something like 190+ bhp. Never would I get anywhere close to using its performance, but it makes for effortless cruising and fast and safe overtakes.

Want one...

insurance is suprisingly cheap (for me) for such a powerful machine, and with the new model coming out soon (if not already out?) the prices for used bikes should start to fall.. might treat myself after xmas :cheers:

• 9 months later...

I've been looking at these again recently.

It seems three year old bikes only drop about 3-3.5k in value so with zero percent finance available, owning one could be very affordable...

I went and sat on one a few weeks ago, and it felt very similar in size to my GSXR600.

If we do get a proper summer, I might seriously consider part exchanging the gixxer in for a brand new s1000. Will require some negotiation with the other half though as with new baby in the house she thinks I should be slowing down and saving money, not speeding up!! Lol.