Bike won't start funny buzzing noise

Adam

I spoke to our qualified electriction at work and he said its most probably the battery not charged enough. So I've gotta charge it up and then check it with a voltmeter should be 12v.

I spoke to our qualified electriction at work and he said its most probably the battery not charged enough. So I've gotta charge it up and then check it with a voltmeter should be 12v.

Is that not what I have been saying?

I don't know your bike....but I'm guessing that its probably injected......so the thing under the airbox is likely to be the Throttle body. You could try bumping the bike to see if it will start..... 8-)

Its a 2-stroke carbed bike :thumb:

The NSR like my old RS125 will have a miniscule battery in it, if it goes flat and dies no amount of charging it will get it started! Bumping it will of course work but if you conk out as 2-strokes do you have to run and bump it again at the lights, which is always a tense moment :lol:

Hi ya, if it’s still making a buzzing noise with a fully charge battery then the fault is at the solenoid or solenoid wiring. Before you jump into buying replacements parts you need to first check that all the cables and connections are all sound. The starter solenoid is basically a heavy duty switch which is required to switch the high current required to spin the starter motor, any loose or dirty connection - joints will cause a high resistance in this circuit causing volt drop, hence the buzzing at the solenoid as it not being fully energised. You really need to get this all check over before you jump into speeding hard earned money on what might be a simple contact - connection clean up. Hope this helps

• 5 months later...

Bit of an old thread but I'm taking the bike to the garage at the end of the month so I want to try and resolve the problem myself, it's still the same as before.

I'm going to invest in a battery charger and charge the new battery to see if that helps, I'm also gonna buy a solenoid just in case that helps because I have a feeling the garage are going to say its the starter motor that's f***** which is gonna cost £££'s

My question is, which charger is suitable for my battery? This is the one in question http://bit.ly/MrJ5Tw I read or heard somewhere that gel batteries require a different charger compared to acid ones. Is this correct or can I just use any motorcycle charger?

What other things should I check before she goes to the garage?

Thanks in advance :)

By an optimate or this one

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/produc ... oupID=3108

keeps the battery right on the top line

Just make sure its suitable for a motorbike battery as a car battery charger will fry the bike battery.

Have an auto electrician check the bike starter motor circuit over before you take it to the garage. Could be just something like a bad connection, i've seen bike shops empty the parts shelf in an attempt to get a fix.

That's not cheap though!! I found this one on eBay http://bit.ly/XTICMb which is cheaper and from what I can tell does the same job..

I will have a look around the bike for any loose connections anywhere in particular I need to focus on? I have a volt metre which I can use if that would be any help?

its a 125 so it should bump start fine so you can at least use it.

chris is right about connections. check the battery terminals too.

you will struggle to turn it over with a naff/half charged battery. get/borrow a charger and ensure its fully charged. if you cannot be bothered to charge it then bump start it and go for a very long ride.

if your indicators were an advisory when the bike was running then it highly unlikely to be a flat batt issue, my first port of call would be to replace the relay. they only cost a couple of quid. but, if you wait til youve checked all connection and have a charged batt then you'll jknow for sure.

If you’re competent and only if you’re competent you could try this route.

Disconnect the battery and expose the starter solenoid. The 2 large cable terminals on the starter solenoid are the ones which switch the power to the starter motor. You will see that one cable comes direct from the battery and the other one go’s direct to the starter motor. This solenoid is in fact a heavy duty switch – relay. If you can make a bridge across these 2 terminals making sure that nothing touches the chassis – earth, then with a fully charge battery just touch the battery terminal across the battery, the starter motor should turn, if not, it’s almost surely the starter motor which is at fault. PS make sure your bike in neutral and all of that!

I would take if for a long ride but its not taxed, mot'd or insured at the moment so that's a big no no. The indicators are new and work fine when the bike is running, I'm not too bothered about those at the moment though just wanna get the bike to start then ill worry about them :)

Yes I've heard about bridging the solenoid but its a pain in the arse to get too I have to remove the seat back fairing petrol tank and air box just to get to it!! So I'm thinking of just charging the battery up and giving it a go, if that doesn't work then ill replace the solenoid and if that doesn't work I'm f***** haha.

I cleaned the battery terminals with some sandpaper and got rid of a load of shite that was on them so hopefully that'll help.

Someone at work mentioned it could be the fuses, is that possible? If so I have no idea where to find them and what ones I'd need to replace them..

I would take if for a long ride but its not taxed, mot'd or insured at the moment so that's a big no no. The indicators are new and work fine when the bike is running, I'm not too bothered about those at the moment though just wanna get the bike to start then ill worry about them :)

Yes I've heard about bridging the solenoid but its a pain in the arse to get too I have to remove the seat back fairing petrol tank and air box just to get to it!! So I'm thinking of just charging the battery up and giving it a go, if that doesn't work then ill replace the solenoid and if that doesn't work I'm f***** haha.

I cleaned the battery terminals with some sandpaper and got rid of a load of shite that was on them so hopefully that'll help.

Someone at work mentioned it could be the fuses, is that possible? If so I have no idea where to find them and what ones I'd need to replace them..

No Mate nothing to do with the fuses, if there's buzzing noises you can hear is probably the solenoid. It caused when there's iether insufficent power from the battery, bad connection to hold the coil in, or the coil is shot in the solenoid. Have you access to a fully charged car battery? If so, try and jump start it, if its starts up its your battery. keep me posted best of luck

Edited by Chrissb6

Just bought a battery charger and a new solenoid so will charge up the battery and give it a go next week when I've got some time off, fingers crossed!!

Cheers for all your help so far I'll let you know the outcome

Just a quick update, fitted the new solenoid earlier after taking half the bike apart and the battery is on charge so I'll reassemble it all tomorrow and drop the battery in and give it a go!!

I checked as many of the connections I could which I why I took all the back fairings off and also checked the indicator relay? The pins had a bit of corrosion so I gave them a rub down with sand paper and popped it back so hopefully that will solve the indicator problems.

Just a quick question I checke the voltage of the battery and its reading just over 17v and when disconnected its reading the same, dropping a couple but staying above 17v and ending up static. Is this normal?! The charger is for my battery...

So after fitting the solenoid and putting the fully charged battery I'm still in the same situation!! Not impressed :( what else could it be?! I did notice when i press the horn it just makes a pitiful noise, not even a beep so I'm assuming its something to do with the loom that end? I've taken the clocks off and checked all the connections they all seem fine so I'm stuck now with what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always :)