First 6 months riding

PabloK42

Having passed my test earlier this year and purchased a Kawasaki 650 ER6F (2008) to play with, I thought I would give a brief update on how the first 6 months have gone.

1st Month - Picked up bike from Perth and rode like a total pussy in the pouring rain down to Glasgow. Riding through piddles on a motorway was not the way I wanted my first riding experience on my new bike to be.

2nd Month - Starting to get confident albeit the weather is total garbage, therefore riding time is kept to a minimum. Begin to go on ride outs with pals, really enjoying the experience and the banter.

3rd Month - Confidence building, can easily keep up with ride out mates.

4th month to now - Totally love my bike, love the freedom, love creating the bond with other bikers. The highlight being attending BSB at knockhill and met loads of folk and didn’t meet anyone who wasn’t a "top man/girl".

I have a sporty car, however I now always take the bike option - There is just no contest.

Sounds like you're really enjoying it.

You're right about the bond between bikers everyone just seems to chat away and get on together.

I love the feeling the temperture change and smelling the pine trees as you ride which is something you never get in a car.

Hello :) I'm going for my test soon and I've been looking at a few bikes that I've had my eye on, one is the Kawasaki 650 ER6F and I was wondering whether its a good bike to have for someone just passing their tests? Would be great if you could give me some tips? Thank you :)

Em x

Hi Em,

From my own experience I would say the ER6f is ideal for someone has just passed their test. It has a 650 engine which is plenty faster (Classified as a sports tourer bike) and is easy to ride with good brakes.

I may be biased, however I think the bike looks the business and comes at a reasonable price.

I have ridden my brothers GSXR 750 on many occasions over the last few months and I actually prefer my bike!! (I think my brother does too as he keeps buggin me to borrow mine).

Downsides are the petrol tank aint the biggest and the mirror are total crap - I had to get extensions.

That said, there are plenty of great 600/650s out there which I haven’t ridden so perhaps others will give you a good steer with their recommendations too.

Cheers!!

Hi Em,

From my own experience I would say the ER6f is ideal for someone has just passed their test. It has a 650 engine which is plenty faster (Classified as a sports tourer bike) and is easy to ride with good brakes.

I may be biased, however I think the bike looks the business and comes at a reasonable price.

I have ridden my brothers GSXR 750 on many occasions over the last few months and I actually prefer my bike!! (I think my brother does too as he keeps buggin me to borrow mine).

Downsides are the petrol tank aint the biggest and the mirror are total crap - I had to get extensions.

That said, there are plenty of great 600/650s out there which I haven’t ridden so perhaps others will give you a good steer with their recommendations too.

Cheers!!

Thank you for replying :D

I wanted something which wasn't too big and has handlebars which I could manage and manoeuvre easily :)

And my brother is wanting a GSXR 750 and I was goin to share it with him but I'd rather have a kawak ;) look nicer and I feel more comfortable with it too rather than the GSXR, and I sat on the kawak in the bike shop and I thought the mirrors were extremely tiny too! "/ they will be the first things to be changed! Hehe :P