What you doing this weekend?

rennie

I've had a shower and shave! put proper clothes on and I'm even wearing aftershave! :shock:

The kit is set up :thumb:

I haven't had a drink yet but that's about to change :cheers:

I may not be held responsible for anything I say or do till next year!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rennie said:

I've had a shower and shave! put proper clothes on and I'm even wearing aftershave! :shock:

I may not be held responsible for anything I say or do till next year!:classic_biggrin:

have a good one 🍻

• Like 1

Guest Swagman
16 hours ago, rennie said:

Piss head.🤣

I've just changed the battery in the Volvo... Why in the name of buggery do they make it so difficult?

Undo seven bazillion screws, take the airbox out, remove the mounting plate, wiggle the battery out through a jungle of wires that are only just long enough then the reverse to get the new one in... It's taken me nigh on an hour to do.

Oh, plus it's so sodding cold that all the plastics are brittle. :roll:

52 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

I've just changed the battery in the Volvo... Why in the name of buggery do they make it so difficult?

Undo seven bazillion screws, take the airbox out, remove the mounting plate, wiggle the battery out through a jungle of wires that are only just long enough then the reverse to get the new one in... It's taken me nigh on an hour to do.

I had to replace a car battery recently. It was less than a year old so I was a bit surprised but the car has barely been used.

54Ah battery. 0.020A drain when the car is parked. At that rate it takes 54Ah/0.02A=2700 hours to fully drain. 2700/24 =112 days. Say you want to keep a battery in good condition so you don't let it drain more than 1/4 of it's capacity. So that's 2700h/4= 675 hours. 675 hours/24= 28 days! So in this case if you're not using a car and you want to keep the battery in good condition charge it once a month. Pretty surprising to me. The problem could be made worse if you park it a lot and then only do short trips where the alternator doesn't have time to recharge the battery.

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

Could have been worse. It could have been a mk4 Mondeo. Had to look in the Haynes manual as I didn’t believe how much stuff had to come off to get at the battery. 🙄

• Like 2

Our daughter is due to have a baby in March. She and her husband have been trying to strip the wallpaper in the nursery but it looks like it was put on with PVA mixed in the paste.

They've spent hours scraping using a chemical stripper with no result so they're going out and I'm taking my steamer down. 

I suspect won't make much difference as I've had this before. But I'd rather it was me struggling with it than them.

Fingers crossed, I might get lucky.

The battery on our Transit mini bus is under a panel beneath the drivers seat ... it's huge due to the auto / stop start facility.... but under the bonnet is a small red plastic hatch which gives a positive connection for jumpstarting other vehicles  ... what a good idea ... to change the battery all I have to do is remove the drivers seat, take out 18 bolts / screws and hire a small crane to lift the battery out !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had to jump start Bridget this morning, got her on charge now though, Xena started no problem :thumb:

Anyway going out on Bridget later to give her a good run out, need to get a fuse for my multimeter while i'm out too, not too sure where I will find a 200ma glass fuse, Toolstation and Screwfix don't sell them, might have to try wilco motosave or another car parts shop :thumb:

38 minutes ago, dynax said:

Had to jump start Bridget this morning, got her on charge now though, Xena started no problem :thumb:

Anyway going out on Bridget later to give her a good run out, need to get a fuse for my multimeter while i'm out too, not too sure where I will find a 200ma glass fuse, Toolstation and Screwfix don't sell them, might have to try wilco motosave or another car parts shop :thumb:

Now that Maplin have gone the chances of finding one of those on the high street in this current climate is mos likely zero .

200ma is far to small for any automotive use so car parts will be unlikely .

Only places worth trying are old school tv/electronic shops that repair units ( not currys etc ) 

Or 

Rs electrical (online )or similar stock and they may have a store near to you

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/fuses-sockets-circuit-breakers/fuses/cartridge-fuses/?searchTerm=200ma

Just now, TimR said:

Now that Maplin have gone the chances of finding one of those on the high street in this current climate is mos likely zero .

200ma is far to small for any automotive use so car parts will be unlikely .

Only places worth trying are old school tv/electronic shops that repair units ( not currys etc ) 

Or 

Rs electrical (online )or similar stock and they may have a store near to you

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/fuses-sockets-circuit-breakers/fuses/cartridge-fuses/?searchTerm=200ma

I can get them from ebay pack of 10 £1.89 so won't break the bank 😄 just a pain having to wait for them.

On 31/12/2020 at 09:37, rennie said:

The Sister in Law in Norfolk has mannequins with various arms and legs missing,

dressed up, scattered throughout the house! :classic_biggrin:

I found myself having a 1-sided conversation with 1 on Skype the other night! :yay:

I'm having a siesta later then we're having the full kit set up, flashing lights and all,

lots of booze, lots of singing. The neighbours are aware :thumb::cheers:

fook me Rennie you must be on a good drop of cider 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dynax said:

have you opened the meter , some have a spare fuse inside. mine does

1 minute ago, fredc said:

have you opened the meter , some have a spare fuse inside. mine does

Yes, I first thought it was the battery as i have left it switched on before and had to replace the battery :lol:

19 hours ago, JRH said:

Could have been worse. It could have been a mk4 Mondeo. Had to look in the Haynes manual as I didn’t believe how much stuff had to come off to get at the battery. 🙄

I thought I'd find out about the start-stop battery as it rarely works these days due to "Battery Charge".

It's hidden behind the bumper and the front of the car has to come off to change it. Sod that!

At least with the BMW it's just a single massive battery in the boot.

4 hours ago, James in Brum said:

Just popped a load of chilli and pepper seeds on wet kitchen roll in plastic bags to start them off. I really struggled with my peppers last year so trying something new.

My peppers didn't do jack either. Tomatoes and tomatillos were really good although most of them ripened while I was away so the OH got to scoff them.

Guest Swagman
1 hour ago, husoi said:

Ordered the fork oil.

this weekend will be replacing it on the Pan :thumb: 

image.png.3bb5b899c581136edcd2ee0b7009852e.png

Did mine earlier in the year new seals bushing and springs.

1 minute ago, Swagman said:

Did mine earlier in the year new seals bushing and springs.

The bike is under 2k miles so it shouldn't need any replacement. I'm sure none of the previous owners ever changed it since 2008.

Guest Swagman
12 minutes ago, husoi said:

The bike is under 2k miles so it shouldn't need any replacement. I'm sure none of the previous owners ever changed it since 2008.

Just oil should be fine, mine had 37000 on it but when I took out the bushings they looked perfectly fine.👍