BMW F800R (*UPDATE 13/07/15*)

timmy164

This is the 1st BMW I’ve ever owned (and I've owned a LOT of motorbikes!)

I've covered about 3000m since new.

I am very impressed with the quality of build and parts.

The ride is extremely comfortable, but continued slow riding (in traffic) can cause some 'tingling' in the hands.

The bike feels light, which is probably due to the under seat fuel tank.

Performance wise it’s on a par with say the Suzuki 650 Vtwin or the Kawasaki Er650.

However low down grunt is superb. Top end speed is a bit academic these days for me.

A perfect bike for tight country roads (a ‘giant killer’)

I've had a Beowulf sport silencer fitted, which has improved low/mid-range performance and economy.

Costs are about 170 miles for £17, you can work the ecomony out :booty:

(Sounds fantastic too, without upsetting other road users too much)

Beowulf are based in Halifax, and the service was fantastic, a must to recommend.

I’m not sure what the standard tyre make is? But suffice to say these are more than adequate, and the rear still has plenty of tread left after 3k.

Longest journey so far, Wales, 250 miles.

What’s to criticise?

Well I’d prefer better on bike storage (don’t like panniers) There is plenty of room in the false tank area, but a bugger to get too. With some clever design, this could be made into a 'glove box'. Under the seat isn’t much better. Just enough for a disk lock, some keys and my butties would be nice.

Other than that, I’m in love. :love:

• 2 years later...

OK,

So I had a year off on the magnificent R1200GS, which included a massive trip to France and Spain last summer.

But this year I decided (because of the wife's new career venture) to down size back to a F800R.

I've gone for the new 2015 model.

So changes,

New front end headlight, forks and brakes.

Engine, has a little more power, 90BHP and the gearing has changed slightly.

All the above has made an excellent bike even better.

This really is a 'dark horse' of a bike, great handling and great brakes inspire confidence.

As the previous model, economy is still great.

Less 'vibes' through the handle bars too. (this must be down to the gearing?)

Do I miss the sophistication of the R1200GS LC, hell yes! But at only two thirds of the price, and still giving me great fun I'm happy to say I don't have misgivings on the down size.clean.jpg.8c0d10945460cfe9fbc9be569377734e.jpg

Saddleworth1.jpg.b7aa28cc5df2768e9ad2d7f77801d837.jpg

Saddleworth2.jpg.c7f3c69177f7f92e7b386ede482f677b.jpg

I was only reading up on it the other day as I am suited to a light and nimble bike myself you should read the telegraph review as I find them quite good in that they compare other models like the Ducati and triumph . I take it that you are a bmw fan ? What is it that you like about them as the funny thing is I have been taking notice of them recently having seen their new Cafe racer styled model and been impressed with the styling and basically knowing that the brand itself says reliability and build quality

Cafe racer ? I'm thinking of the r nine T which caught my eye at my local biker meet venue thought it looked way cool and you are able to customise it to your liking :cheers:

Hi Craig,

Until 3 years ago I wasn't really a 'faithful to one brand' kind of guy, but I did stick to Japanese bikes.

I got my first F800R without even going for a test drive!

But I have to say it did feel a better quality bike that I swapped it for (Kawasaki)

Recently I've tried out my mates MT09 and MT09 Tracer's, and I have to say these have a good quality feel to them.

The F800 is at the cheap(er) end of the BMW range, and this was my remit considering my wife's new business venture.

Had I just decided to swap the GS in for something different, I would have gone for the 1000R street fighter.

The R Nine T is also a love of mine, but remember this has the older oil cooled engine in. The newer LC 1200cc engine is a stunner.

I think BMW are on a real good run of super models, with every one coming out being well received, and catering to a very wide choice of 'styles'.

To sum up, the F800R is an excellent bike within the BMW range, but it is a 'baby' compared to the others.

I'm very happy with reliability and durability.

Yes if I had a big wallet then maybe something more exotic would be nice, but it'll probably be another BMW :D