Yamaha YZF125 Won't start!

Ricky

So I bought this bike on the 19th of May not had it long worked like a charm and now it wont...

It's a 2009 Yamaha YZF 125.

Right, well I started my bike this morning as usual, no problems at all riding through my village and some numpty learner driver in front was stalling and stopping so I had enough of it and overtook him then about 5 seconds after bike stalls and when I tried to restart it it had a weird clicking noise while the engine spun over so I wheeled it home The plug was wet and had a nice big purple spark...

Kept trying and trying before nothing, just a clicking noise, tried to bump start it and nothing was moving even in 5th gear so I checked the oil...

Had about 1 cm of it right at the bottom nothing on the dipstick... shit...

Got some oil almost crying thinking the engine had seized up poured it in tried turning over... nothing...

So I sat on it wheeled it back and forwards before it finally came free and started turning over... phew...

Battery was dead so charged that to 12 volts... nothing still...

Tried bumpstarting it and I can hear a clickety clackety sound which increases with speed...

Jump starting it doesn't have the same sound it just turns over and over and over and over...

Now I'm sat here with tears in my eyes thinking I've f*ck*d my bike...

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated! :)

(Sorry for the amount of ellipsis' and I'm not literately crying I'm a MAN! :) but I'm not happy :P)

Hmmm...well I'm not going to make any comment about checking the oil level regularly...... :roll:

You need to see if you have any compression.......so take the plug out and stick your finger in the hole and turn the engine over......there should be enough pressure there to lift your finger from the hole..... :) If you've got a spark and fuel getting into the combustion chamber...then the only thing missing has got to be compression...... :wink:

Things that can cause lack of compression: Broken piston rings, valves not closing, dropped valve, holed piston, broken con rod, knackered big end bearings, damaged or broken crank, scored or damaged bore, blown head gasket.

To be honest I'd not try starting it until you find out what the clacking noise is......which could be a dropped valve, damaged big-end bearings, or something else floating around in the engine where it shouldn't be..... :shock:

Good luck.

Hmmm...well I'm not going to make any comment about checking the oil level regularly...... :roll:

You need to see if you have any compression.......so take the plug out and stick your finger in the hole and turn the engine over......there should be enough pressure there to lift your finger from the hole..... :) If you've got a spark and fuel getting into the combustion chamber...then the only thing missing has got to be compression...... :wink:

Things that can cause lack of compression: Broken piston rings, valves not closing, dropped valve, holed piston, broken con rod, knackered big end bearings, damaged or broken crank, scored or damaged bore, blown head gasket.

To be honest I'd not try starting it until you find out what the clacking noise is......which could be a dropped valve, damaged big-end bearings, or something else floating around in the engine where it shouldn't be..... :shock:

Good luck.

Yeah plenty of compression it pushes my finger right off it, I'm confused :'(

I seriously hope it's not major i have no money :P

Thanks for the help tango :)

Hi, so I checked where t was coming through but couldn't make an absolute answer it's either the barrel or starter motor...

When I take the spark plug out the clinking goes?

clicking or banging?

if you have a dropped valve they can bang through the air box but without the plug you will have no compression to cause the noise

the noise could be unrelated but without hearing it and looking I'm not even going to try and guess

Hate to say this Ricky....but that don't sound good at all..... :shock:

I think it's gonna need an engine strip......sounds to me like bottom end noise......big-end bearings or the like..... :(

Noooo, don't tell me that!

How can such a well made bike and only have 5000 miles need an engine rebuild!? :'(

Nooo, not going to be on my bike for a long time then! :'(

How can such a well made bike and only have 5000 miles need an engine rebuild!? :'(

Well, running it without oil will probably do it! :oops:

Well, running it without oil will probably do it! :oops:

Haha, thanks for clearing that up :D :lol:

I've drained the oil there was no shavings what so ever in it :(

Checked the front sprocket;

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8875/imageent.jpg

I've drained the oil there was no shavings what so ever in it :(

thats a good thing! :)

That's good to hear! :P

I think it'll have to go to a garage and get sorted :evil: :evil:

Do you reckon that could be it? its a long shot though :P

Yeah, 5k definitely.

It looks like he had it stored in the arctic for the past 6 months... Some parts of the bike has rust and all sorts... 0.o

can we go back to the beginning!

so the bike wont start?

and the banging noise is only when you push it?

if the banging noise is only when you push it then it could be the chain check that out first if it sounds like its in the engine then it could be gearbox problem

bit of a coincidence though that it started banging after it stopped and wouldn't start!

when trying to start the bike does it sound normal? or do you think there is a strange sound!

you say the bike has 5K on it?

that sprocket looks well shafted to me! you can see it starting to hook!

Yes but it also looks like it has never seen any chain oil.

yeah I did notice!

can we go back to the beginning!

so the bike wont start?

and the banging noise is only when you push it?

if the banging noise is only when you push it then it could be the chain check that out first if it sounds like its in the engine then it could be gearbox problem

bit of a coincidence though that it started banging after it stopped and wouldn't start!

when trying to start the bike does it sound normal? or do you think there is a strange sound!

No, the bike won't start.

Yeah, if I electric start it just turns over and if I bump start I get that horrible sound.

Electric start sounds normal and bump starting makes a terrible sound (it's in the video)