Anybody ride with specs? Lifesavers tend to be the opposite!

Hi there, just wondering how many people there are here who have to wear glasses all the time, and how you cope when on the bike?

I didn't have too much trouble during the CBT, and (touch wood) haven't had any problems in the 15 months since, but I don't use lifesavers very often, as when I do, I can't see shit!

It might be my bike jacket, but I don't seem able to actually turn my head enough to see behind me without shifting my whole body round, and anything I do see is from the corner of my eye, which given I need the glasses in the first place, means it's no better than not turning in the first place.

Instead, I rely on the mirrors a LOT, and it works for me, but I know this will get me failed if/when it comes to taking the actual test, so I was wondering if anybody in a similar situation has any tips? I've considered contacts, but cheap ones give me problems, and good ones are outside my budget :(

if life saver looks dont work for you then there is nothing wrong with using your mirrors. i dont have a lot ov flexibility in my back and cant rotate to look over my shoulder, so i use a lot of mirror observations instead. and the lifesaver is really just to see whats next to me, not behind.

i find sports bikes are a nightmare for lifesavers as your leant forward which further impedes my rotation.

for the test, as long as it looks like your using lifesavers then i would say you'll be ok. see what your instructer reccomends as i am sure your not alone.

I wear specs full time and understand what you mean, I do still do life savers tho, whenever I deem I need one turning right etc. I haven't struggled to be honest, I find that my winder jacket impeeds my life savers because my helmet catches on it. That's about it.

I don't wear glasses, but wondering if you are maybe trying to look too far round for your lifesavers?

I probably am, I go for a right over your shoulder look, I was never taught life savers by my instructor but it's something I knew I should do so did them as I thought they should be done...

i used to ride with glasses but i found the vibration more of an issue so i got myself onto contact lenses, have you considered this? its weird at first but you get used to them and begin to wonder why you rode with glasses.

I don't wear glasses, but wondering if you are maybe trying to look too far round for your lifesavers?

+1

lifesavers are to check where another road user may be, that you cannot see in your mirrors :wink:

I probably am, I go for a right over your shoulder look, I was never taught life savers by my instructor but it's something I knew I should do so did them as I thought they should be done...

If you google motorcycle blind spot or similar you can find pics that will give you an idea where your blind spots are. The way my instructor showed me was with me on the bike she stood behind me to one side where I could see her in the mirrors and then walked forward until I could no longer see her.

If you google motorcycle blind spot or similar you can find pics that will give you an idea where your blind spots are. The way my instructor showed me was with me on the bike she stood behind me to one side where I could see her in the mirrors and then walked forward until I could no longer see her.

Thanks I shall have a look!

As for the rider scan I ride a naked or I would have one already.

Well having just ridden home from work, I find the whole lifesavers more comfortable to do! Thanks for pointing this out! Will read up on the blind spots when I get up!!

Yeah, it seems I was wrong about where I actually needed to see with a lifesaver. Yet another reason I won't be going back to the place I took my CBT! Although it does look like I'll be renewing the CBT at another place, and not doing the full test. That's purely down to budget issues though - currently my outgoings exceed my income by a fair whack!

I wear specs all the time except when I'm on the bike. Used to use them on the bike too but I got tired of faffing about putting my helmet on and taking it off. Also snapped loads of arms which were not cheap so nowadays I just use contacts whilst riding.

If you think contacts are expensive try a company called Daysoft, someone mentioned them on this forum ages ago and I've used them ever since. They are less than half of what I pay at the opticians and they have loads of different ones so I imagine you'd find some that are suitable.

First thing I did when I passed the CBT was buy a flip front helmet with groove things. Have the front up when putting the helmet on and the glasses don't fall off. Well, unless my hair has been cut extremely short recently, but with my trips to the barber being about once every 6 months that's hardly ever a problem.

Contacts aren't especially expensive, but yeah, when you struggle to have petrol and food money left after paying bills, anything on top is too much!

Inithra, I'm a four eyes, I use a foggy face mask & pronounced life savers to help with the view not contained within the specs. Never go where your eyes & mind haven't already been :D

i regularly wear sunglasses on the bike. they let me ride with the visor open and protect against flies and bright sunshine..

ive never had a problem apart from when i forget im wearing them and remove my helment in a hurry... then i get a whole world of pain from pokey glasses in the face!!