As I am a DAS newbies, I am now at the MOD 2 stage, but I have been spending so much time and concentration on getting the MOD 1, that my attention has turned to getting the MOD 2. I am one of those types who likes to know the in's and out's of everything, so I contemplate all the road layouts, etc. so that when I come to the MOD 2 I know I have done the best at that stage. With that in mind I just want to go over the right hand turn, and if someone could be kind enough to just go over my thought here and make sure I am okay that would be great. I am pretty sure this what I do out on the road, but I just need to clear these things in my head. I have a book but its not clear enough for me, and I do not see my instructor again for a week or so , so I just want to be clear. I figure I can afford one retake a month, which gives me 21 tries! I have to know the worst case scenario !

Anyway I currently cycle the 34 mile commute to and from work, which gives me a lot of time so absorb and sort information in my head. What I have been doing since the MOD 1 is practicing junctions like I was on the motorbike etc so upon reaching roundabouts and junctions have been practicing the OSMPSL in my head as if I was on the bike.

So when coming to do a right turn while on a main road I would....

Observe my rear mirrors make sure all is okay

Signal my intention to turn right

Manoeuvre over from position 2 to 3 on the road

Adjust speed while taking up the position to turn right and

Now if there is no traffic coming, and it is safe to go, I would do my right life saver a second or 2 before I turn and then execute the turn.

Hopefully the above is all correct.

Now if I come to my right hand turn and there is no traffic gap for me to safely proceed, I am going to come to a stop and wait. At this point because I have not committed to the turn I have not done my right life saver. Is this correct? Once I know I am going to make the right turn from the stand still, I will do my right life saver and then make the bike turn into the junction.

My other query is doing a right turn from a minor road into a main road. I suppose the above is used exactly the same. Even if I have been

waiting at the junction for a minute or 2. The lights change to green or a gap appears, and I right lifesaver check and then go.

If someone could comment if this is correct or this is totally wrong then that would be great, really appreciate that.

My other question is... Can I take my hand of the left handlebar to raise and lower my visor while on the test or should I put it down from the start and just live with it? I prefer it up when at the slower speeds you see.

Thanks all,

Kevin

firstly, IMHO you are massively overthinking it.

always make rear observations before signalling and moving, and lifesavers are there to save your life, not as a test objective... if you feel you need to know whats alongside you for your own safety, then do one( a lifesaver).

there is no such thing as too much observation..but theres definitely such a thing as too little.

stop thinking so much, start feeling it.

grow eyes in your arse and you wont go far wrong.

seriously though, the examiner isnt looking for textbook, they are looking for a smooth safe confident rider.

learn to feel whats right , ride smoothly , and be 100% switched on, always look, always signal...and enjoy the ride

I could go on for ages about the rights and the wrong although the above message hits the nail on the head. Just ride the bike an do as many observations as you wish. You can't fail from looking to save your own butt!

triple stress. life saver!

when moving across the road, especially on slowing down for a junction, take a quick glance over that right shoulder before moving. Car drivers are knobs and may want to sneak up your right side if you're road positioning isn't perfect.

on aproaching a right turn junction:

1. Check mirrors to see it's ok to manoeuvre.

2. Apply right turn signal.

3. Glance over your right shoulder.

4. Move into position if it's safe to do so.

5. Slow down the bike and be ready to stop, move through the gears.

6. If you have a clear view and the junction is clear, make progress.

7. If you need to stop, slip the bike into 1st gear and stop using front and back brake (depending on how fast you were approaching, if less than 5mph, just control brake will be sufficient, very light on the front brake)

8. Check it's clear to proceed and move off. Keep your head up and look where you want to go. you need drive to get the bike to come round, so don't be too precious with that power!

9. cancel right turn indicator and accelerate to a safe speed.

take things slowly at first. your instructor should be filling your ear with exactly what he wants to see at the junction. I'm yet to do my mod 2, but im viewing it as a 40 min jolly on the road with an examiner in tow. I enjoy riding around for no good reason, so why should this be any different!

Thanks for all your replies people, much appreciated, I am sure I am definitely going the right way, and I do what's required for junctions, as a cyclist already but just wanted some clarification.

I think I will stick to what I have been doing in the training and try and take it easy and make it a smooth ride. One of the best things about the test is being first, as on the training there is at times another person in front etc. and you have to ride accordingly etc., plus I don't have to worry about the others behind me keeping up !! :D

Kev

A smooth and safe ride is all the examiner is looking for......so I think the others here have it pretty much covered......and relax.....it'll show in your riding...... :wink:

You can get pulled up for too many observations as the examiner may feel you are either concentrating too much on rear observations and not enough on what is in front of you. Or they can say that you are over checking to make it look like you are doing them and not actually paying attention to what is there.